God and government

Ugh.
dolomite
Contributor

God and government

Post by dolomite »

https://www.foxnews.com/politics
The Demrats are going completely off their rocker.

A key committee in the Democrat-controlled House of Representatives is moving to eliminate the God reference from the oath administered to witnesses testifying before the panel, as part of a new rules package expected to be approved this week, according to a draft obtained exclusively by Fox News.
The draft rules also remove the phrase "his or her" throughout the document, changing those two pronouns to "their." The rules additionally modify all references to the committee's "Chairman" to instead refer only to the committee's "Chair."

https://www.google.com/search?q=quotes+ ... qBa_xeXQrM:
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
Deleted User 75

Re: God and government

Post by Deleted User 75 »

Welcome to 2019.

Oh well. If some people are offended by that then I guess this isn't a big deal to concede.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

And? It doesn't need to be there, it serves no purpose in the proceedings, so take it out.

"Do you solemnly swear or affirm, under penalty of law, that the testimony that you are about to give is the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth?" seems to most accurately reflect the situation. What's God helping a person do, tell the truth? You obviously haven't been watching the train of Trump cronies testify.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Church...........................State
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

twocoach wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:03 pm And? It doesn't need to be there, it serves no purpose in the proceedings, so take it out.

"Do you solemnly swear or affirm, under penalty of law, that the testimony that you are about to give is the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth?" seems to most accurately reflect the situation. What's God helping a person do, tell the truth? You obviously haven't been watching the train of Trump cronies testify.
Many years ago I was called as a witness in a criminal trial (my office window was smashed and a couple of guys grabbed my laptop, when laptop computers were expensive). Anyway, I distinctly remember that my oath was almost to the word as shown above. Having seen enough movies and TV dramas I was expecting the "so help me God" to wrap up the oath and that phrase never came. This was likely 2006 or thereabouts, in the southern SF Bay Area
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

The draft rules also remove the phrase "his or her" throughout the document, changing those two pronouns to "their." The rules additionally modify all references to the committee's "Chairman" to instead refer only to the committee's "Chair."
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

jeepinjayhawk wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:05 pm Church...........................State
Who said anything about a church?
Taylor Sheridan
Deleted User 75

dolomite wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:23 am The draft rules also remove the phrase "his or her" throughout the document, changing those two pronouns to "their." The rules additionally modify all references to the committee's "Chairman" to instead refer only to the committee's "Chair."
I personally think it's stupid that someone would be offended by "his/her" or words like "chairman" or postman...but I'm fine with changing some of that stuff to compromise with people who are offended....but at a certain point I do wonder where will it end?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:00 am
dolomite wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:23 am The draft rules also remove the phrase "his or her" throughout the document, changing those two pronouns to "their." The rules additionally modify all references to the committee's "Chairman" to instead refer only to the committee's "Chair."
I personally think it's stupid that someone would be offended by "his/her" or words like "chairman" or postman...but I'm fine with changing some of that stuff to compromise with people who are offended....but at a certain point I do wonder where will it end?
Adjusting to the social and political environment and citizens of your nation never ends because the profile of the social and political environment and citizens of the nation continually changes. Just treat things like these as course adjustments in a never ending journey.
Deleted User 75

twocoach wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:53 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:00 am
Adjusting to the social and political environment and citizens of your nation never ends because the profile of the social and political environment and citizens of the nation continually changes. Just treat things like these as course adjustments in a never ending journey.
I agree adjusting never ends....but this overly sensitive trend of LOOKING for any little thing to be offended by and freaking out needs to stop eventually. You can't make everyone happy all of the time.

Not worth getting bent out of shape over imo. Even though I don't really agree that anyone should be offended by those things in the first place.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

What's "overly sensitive" to you is not "overly sensitive" to others. Swearing "to God" or "under God" bugs the shit out of me personally. I don't go to church. God is not a part of my life. God plays no part in whether or not I would tell the truth or not.

Donald Trump claims that he goes to church and swore "so help me God" and he is biggest lying sack of shit scumbag I have seen in the political arena in some time.
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

Wow, the Donald really has you distressed. You might want to check your bp, no sense stroking out over someone who you don't even have a personal relationship with.

p.s. I'm sorry that you don't believe in God.
Taylor Sheridan
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

dolomite wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:46 am Wow, the Donald really has you distressed. You might want to check your bp, no sense stroking out over someone who you don't even have a personal relationship with.

I'm not. Nothing has led to more murder, mayhem and death than fighting in support of one's religion. It's hard to believe in a God that would "put Donald Trump in the White House".

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/30/politics ... index.html

"I think God calls all of us to fill different roles at different times and I think that he wanted Donald Trump to become president, and that's why he's there," Sanders told CBN's David Brody and Jennifer Wishon, according to a transcript of the interview provided by CBN.

Mind boggling. When you're willing to believe that God put a man who has cheated on multiple wives and who treats people like garbage into the White House just because he he is an R and supports your policy platforms then something is seriously wrong with your belief structure and moral compass. If there really is a God and he WANTED this scum bag to be our nation's leader then a religion with that God at the top is not one I would ever choose to participate in.
Deleted User 75

So you must hate Islam too? They're into multiple wives. LOL
Deleted User 75

Maybe God didn't like Hillary either?
RussianHawk

Post by RussianHawk »

Instead of giving a shit about the words why don't we care more about the meaning. This is BS

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/ ... ssion=true
Deleted User 75

It's BS that they're doing to us what we do to others?

Or BS that our people are switching sides? I agree with that. But freedom of choice and all that.
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

twocoach wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:35 pm
dolomite wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 11:46 am Wow, the Donald really has you distressed. You might want to check your bp, no sense stroking out over someone who you don't even have a personal relationship with.

I'm not. Nothing has led to more murder, mayhem and death than fighting in support of one's religion. It's hard to believe in a God that would "put Donald Trump in the White House".

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/30/politics ... index.html

"I think God calls all of us to fill different roles at different times and I think that he wanted Donald Trump to become president, and that's why he's there," Sanders told CBN's David Brody and Jennifer Wishon, according to a transcript of the interview provided by CBN.

Mind boggling. When you're willing to believe that God put a man who has cheated on multiple wives and who treats people like garbage into the White House just because he he is an R and supports your policy platforms then something is seriously wrong with your belief structure and moral compass. If there really is a God and he WANTED this scum bag to be our nation's leader then a religion with that God at the top is not one I would ever choose to participate in.
You don't have to be religious or church going to believe in God.
Taylor Sheridan
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

I have reviewed the evidence and data I have available to me and I am comfortable with my opinion of the situation. Thanks!
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

twocoach wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:54 am I have reviewed the evidence and data I have available to me and I am comfortable with my opinion of the situation. Thanks!
Perfectly fine answer. If only that answer was acceptable for everyone. Ha.

Ive tried that answer and got drilled at every turn about it.
Just Ledoux it