Where's the Pro-Life thread?

Ugh.
jhawks99
Contributor

Re: Where's the Pro-Life thread?

Post by jhawks99 »

If'in' y'all need recipes for gumbo, jambalaya, etouffee, red bean and rice, shrimp and grits, or maque choux let me know.

https://www.reddit.com/r/kansascity/com ... _mo_state/
Defense. Rebounds.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

dolomite wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 2:57 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 1:05 pm exactly...so why force them to do so in life-threatening ways with things like coat hangers?
This isn't the dark ages Trad.
Tell the GOP that.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

“Here we go again,” the judge’s pointed order began. “Mississippi has passed another law banning abortions prior to viability. ... The parties have been here before. Last spring, plaintiffs successfully challenged Mississippi’s ban on abortion after 15 weeks. The Court ruled that the law was unconstitutional and permanently enjoined its enforcement. The State responded by passing an even more restrictive bill.”

As Reeves weighed arguments in the case on Tuesday, he criticized the state’s lawmakers for doubling down on further restrictions.

“It sure smacks of defiance to this court,” Reeves said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... rtion-ban/
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

oh, the irony...

an embryo now has more rights in parts of this country than an actual person
Deleted User 89

An Ultra Sound Technician says:

“So here’s the thing:

This Alabama-abortion-ban is a big deal, in a very bad way. Ohio, Missouri, Georgia, Mississippi, Arkansas, Kentucky… I’m looking at you too, but we’re going to focus on Alabama. If you’ve been living under a rock, let me catch you up. Alabama Governor, Kay Ivey, just signed a total abortion ban into law, the most restrictive law in the United States. The law will ban abortion at every stage of pregnancy for every reason.

This is not okay, not reasonable, and definitely not acceptable.

If you don’t know me well, maybe you don’t know what I do for a living. I’m an ultrasound technologist. My colleagues and I look at babies in every stage of pregnancy every day. I also work in a high risk unit. My unit and I look at babies and mothers in varying states of mental and physical health. If you think an abortion ban sounds good, then I am a good person to ask about why it isn’t.

So let me tell you:

About the woman whose baby developed with no skull, and the brain just floating around. Her baby still had a heartbeat, and she would not be able to access abortion.

About the woman whose baby has a rare chromosomal condition called T13. Her baby’s organs grew outside its body, and had a cleft palate so bad that there was no nose. She would not be able to access abortion.

About the woman whose blood pressure is spiking so high that she passes out and is likely to stroke out before her baby is born. She would not be able to access abortion.

About the woman with such a severe form of hemophilia that giving birth will probably be fatal to both her and the baby. She would not be able to access abortion.

About the 13 year old whose school isn’t allowed to teach her science-based sex-education, so she didn’t know how to prevent pregnancy or STIs, but whose body is not developed enough to carry to term without being damaged. She would not be able to access abortion.

About the woman who was raped by a friend who wanted to “make sure she got home safely”. She would not be able to access abortion.

About the woman who has PCOS so only has periods every 3-4 months and can’t find a birth control that works for her. She would not be able to access abortion.

About the woman whose abusive partner removed the condom without telling her (it’s called stealthing, and it happens more frequently than you’d think). She would not be able to access abortion.

About the woman with the cornual ectopic pregnancy that isn’t reliably in the uterus, and could grow to a size that will kill her. She would not be able to access abortion.

About the woman who has two kids she can barely feed already, and whose birth control just increased in price. She would not be able to access abortion.

About the 18 year old who just started college and is going to be the first graduate of the family if she can just stay in school. She would not be able to access abortion.

About the woman whose IUD slipped slightly and is now endangering both her and the pregnancy it was designed to prevent. She would not be able to access abortion.

About the many, many, many women who just don’t want to be pregnant for reasons that are their own. Health issues, abusive relationships, financial issues, social issues. They would not be able to access abortion.

Some of these might sound like reasonable exceptions to you. And you would be correct. But no one should get to decide what happens with another person’s body, not even to save a life. You need written permission from a corpse before life saving organs can be taken from them. You cannot be forced to donate blood, no matter how dire the situation. And no one else should get to decide what a woman does with her body, end of story.

But it’s not the end of the story, is it? Because here’s the kicker: if you consider abortion to be a murder (and some people genuinely believe that!) then miscarriage can be second degree murder. And this is already happening all over the world - El Salvador, Ecuador, and the US of A. Women are being jailed for miscarriages and stillbirths because they might have done something to cause it. If you start down this path of jailing women and doctors for making healthcare decisions that affect no one but themselves, then you get women who don’t go to a doctor for a safe procedure and instead order pills online or use whatever metal instruments they can find to end their own pregnancies. Women who are honestly experiencing a miscarriage (which is medically called a spontaneous abortion, just fyi) will not go to their doctor for help. They will bleed out on their bathroom floors or die of septic shock. And I haven’t even talked about how this will disproportionately affect women of color, LGBTQA+ women, or trans men. This isn’t about the “sanctity of life” anymore. It’s about controlling women.”

Sena Garven
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

Saw that elsewhere, trad. Powerful.
Don't inject Lysol.
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

Clarence Thomas makes it clear, the right is coming for birth control next.

They always deny it when directly confronted, but make no mistake: Conservatives are coming for your birth control. That much was confirmed yet again on Tuesday when Justice Clarence Thomas issued an unhinged opinion on what was supposed to be an abortion case in which, not to put to fine a point on it, he suggested that the founder of Planned Parenthood, Margaret Sanger, advocated for birth control because she was hoping to kill black people.

https://www.salon.com/2019/05/29/claren ... trol-next/
Don't inject Lysol.
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

I would like to read his opinion.
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

Don't inject Lysol.
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

That was some tangential opinion.
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

As I heard once in North Louisiana (where they have wonderful colloquial expressions) - "Kinda seems like he got his canoe crosswise in the stream there."
Don't inject Lysol.
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

My opinions on the subject are known. That was not a legal opinion.
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

How can we reduce the number of unwanted pregnancies seems always to be key in talking about abortion.

Interesting discussion on unwanted pregnancies by a Mormon mother of 6:

As a mother of six and a Mormon, I have a good understanding of arguments surrounding abortion, religious and otherwise. When I hear men discussing women’s reproductive rights, I’m often left with the thought that they have zero interest in stopping abortion.

If you want to prevent abortion, you need to prevent unwanted pregnancies. Men seem unable (or unwilling) to admit that they cause 100% of them.

https://humanparts.medium.com/men-cause ... 0e8288a7e5
Don't inject Lysol.
Deleted User 89

that’s dishonest
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

Well, it's somewhat different than the usual discussion, on either side. For sure.
Don't inject Lysol.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Takes two to tango. 100% blame is, as trad says, dishonest.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

there's a Virgin Mary joke in there somewhere.
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

TDub wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 4:43 pm Takes two to tango. 100% blame is, as trad says, dishonest.
Oh, give it up. Women are blamed for pregnancy constantly, especially by the Right Wing and the Evangelical nutcases.

You're upset because one woman one time blames men? Seriously?
Don't inject Lysol.
Deleted User 89

seahawk wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:26 am
TDub wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 4:43 pm Takes two to tango. 100% blame is, as trad says, dishonest.
Oh, give it up. Women are blamed for pregnancy constantly, especially by the Right Wing and the Evangelical nutcases.

nobody is upset

if that is honestly her stance, she isn't going to be taken seriously because it's an intellectually dishonest argument

you're trying to hard
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

seahawk wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:26 am

It's just as dishonest to blame women 100%. As I said - it takes two to tango. Not one party is 100% responsible...unless its rape and that's a whole different ballgame.

And where did I say I was upset. Just pointing out the obvious.
Just Ledoux it