Where's the Pro-Life thread?

Ugh.
Mjl

Re: Where's the Pro-Life thread?

Post by Mjl »

How is it ok if it's from rape/incest? If you say it's ok in those circumstances, you're saying that a fetus is not a live human, in which case the "woman's-body" rhetoric is validated.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I wonder how many dolomite conservatives out there: personally neutral about abortion, but with his vote supports an extremist agenda just the same.

Or perhaps the question may be, to what degree is abortion the tail wagging the dog?
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

No, you don't get to beg out of the question, as defixione pointed out. You support all Republicans, you're a huge supporter not only of making sure that women who are raped will have to raise their rapist's child. Republicans like you even go on and on about how many women are happy that they are raising a child of rape.

You are for investigating women who have a miscarriage for murder. Just own it, dolomite, because that's what you support. Republicans have made abortion a key issue in retaining certain voting groups, so you support that stance.
Don't inject Lysol.
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

seahawk wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 6:32 am No, you don't get to beg out of the question, as defixione pointed out. You support all Republicans, you're a huge supporter not only of making sure that women who are raped will have to raise their rapist's child. Republicans like you even go on and on about how many women are happy that they are raising a child of rape.

You are for investigating women who have a miscarriage for murder. Just own it, dolomite, because that's what you support. Republicans have made abortion a key issue in retaining certain voting groups, so you support that stance.
Seahawk I refuse to get into a useless battle over abortion. I will vote for whomever I damn well please regardless of a particular belief about terminating life.
p.s. My spouse's great grandmother died a a result of a botched self induced abortion. As a result her family had her gravestone marker engraved with a backwards "3" (looks like an "e"), as a sign of shame.
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

dolomite wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 12:09 pm
seahawk wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 6:32 am No, you don't get to beg out of the question, as defixione pointed out. You support all Republicans, you're a huge supporter not only of making sure that women who are raped will have to raise their rapist's child. Republicans like you even go on and on about how many women are happy that they are raising a child of rape.

Seahawk I refuse to get into a useless battle over abortion. I will vote for whomever I damn well please regardless of a particular belief about terminating life.
p.s. My spouse's great grandmother died a a result of a botched self induced abortion. As a result her family had her gravestone marker engraved with a backwards "3" (looks like an "e"), as a sign of shame.
I believe this is the perfect spot to interject with a - JFC.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Backwards 3?

Sounds like bullshit
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

With a story like that, you’d think dolomite might want to vote in a way that would help to prevent botched self-induced abortions, but alas.
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

ousdahl wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 1:51 pm With a story like that, you’d think dolomite might want to vote in a way that would help to prevent botched self-induced abortions, but alas.
I think the biggest problem Doltomite faces is that he might actually have to put some thought into who he votes for.

It never used to be that way, you know.
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

jeepinjayhawk wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 12:53 pm

Backwards 3?

Sounds like bullshit
I shit you not jeepinjayhawk.
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

No, dolomite, you don't get to walk away from your support for putting women in prison for life because they're drug addicts and that caused them to miscarry. You don't get to walk away from the fact that some Georgia prosecutor seeking to make a name for themselves with the kinds of evangelical conservatives that you totally accept will investigate and prosecute some poor woman who can't afford a decent attorney, because she was pregnant and she miscarried.

That is on you, dolomite, and just as you and the rest of your Republicans have called women "baby-killers" because they're Democrats, you're now stuck forever with the horrific actions that your Republican prosecutors will inflict on women. Own it.
Don't inject Lysol.
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

seahawk wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 5:40 pm No, dolomite, you don't get to walk away from your support for putting women in prison for life because they're drug addicts and that caused them to miscarry. You don't get to walk away from the fact that some Georgia prosecutor seeking to make a name for themselves with the kinds of evangelical conservatives that you totally accept will investigate and prosecute some poor woman who can't afford a decent attorney, because she was pregnant and she miscarried.

That is on you, dolomite, and just as you and the rest of your Republicans have called women "baby-killers" because they're Democrats, you're now stuck forever with the horrific actions that your Republican prosecutors will inflict on women. Own it.
You are nuts. I'm ignoring you and will not argue about abortion, a no win argument for either side.
Taylor Sheridan
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

you know who does wanna argue about abortion?

Alabama!
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

dolomite wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 7:50 pm
seahawk wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 5:40 pm No, dolomite, you don't get to walk away from your support for putting women in prison for life because they're drug addicts and that caused them to miscarry. You don't get to walk away from the fact that some Georgia prosecutor seeking to make a name for themselves with the kinds of evangelical conservatives that you totally accept will investigate and prosecute some poor woman who can't afford a decent attorney, because she was pregnant and she miscarried.

You are nuts. I'm ignoring you and will not argue about abortion, a no win argument for either side.
The passage you quoted talks about prosecuting women for miscarriages, not abortion. However, abortion has been central to Republican politics, so you can't walk away from talking about it.

Mrs. Betty Bowers points out your position on women:

In Alabama is it is now more illegal to be a woman who aborts a child of rape than to be the man who raped her. #StandUpToChristianShariaLaw
Don't inject Lysol.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

That's some fucked up legislature in Alabama. No doubt about it. I don't understand how that gets introduced, much less passed.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

what will be the end game relative to scotus?

they're either say, cut that shit out, and all these pro-lifers will have to go back to hiding in the holler with egg on their face. Does that seem likely? Especially with this court?

or they'll say, yeah let's hear this case to overturn Roe. Even with this court, does that seem likely?

the most likely outcome may be that scotus does nothing, and looks the other way as a bunch of intentionally unconstitutional laws take effect?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

It will open up an earned fight and further divide the country. Problem is at this point theres not a real dividing line there are like 30. Everyone is either hardlining with the extremes or breaking into multiple factions of belief. Its not a great way for a country to operate if the goal is growth and sustainable peace within.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

where have we heard this before?
"The strategy here is that we will win," says Alabama Pro-Life Coalition President Eric Johnston, who helped craft the Alabama abortion ban.
more specifically, the strategy is to sit around musing about when them damn lib judges will finally kick the bucket...pro-life, indeed!
"There are a lot of factors and the main one is two new judges that may give the ability to have Roe reviewed," Johnston said. "And Justice Ginsburg — no one knows about her health."
https://www.npr.org/2019/05/14/72331293 ... ortion-ban
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

I was quite serious in talking about women being charged with murder for stillborn children or miscarriages. Here are some cases from the past:

Melissa Ann Rowland of Utah was charged with murder after one of her twins was stillborn - because she refused a c-section.: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/mom-arrest ... stillbirth

Purvi Patel of Indiana was sentenced to 20 years in prison for feticide. She said she had a miscarriage, and no traces of any abortifacent were found in her blood work: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... n-abortion

Angela Carder was 27 years old, 26 weeks pregnant, and had cancer. She was forced to undergo a c-section to try to save the pregnancy despite the risk to her health. It failed and Carder died: https://www.nytimes.com/1990/12/08/opin ... agony.html

Rennie Gibbs of Mississippi was 16 years old when she delivered a stillborn baby - she was indicted on charges of "depraved heart murder" after accusations that she used drugs: https://www.propublica.org/article/stil ... fetal-harm

A woman in Louisiana was jailed on charges of second-degree murder after she went to the hospital for unexplained vaginal bleeding. It was over a year before medical records showed that she had a miscarriage: https://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/08/opin ... d=fb-share

Bei Bei Shuai lost her pregnancy after she tried to kill herself - within a half hour a homicide detective was questioning her. She was arrested for murder: https://www.npr.org/sections/health-sho ... d-feticide

The 16 year old in Mississippi had smoked crack during her pregnancy, but medical experts determined that it was the umbilical cord wrapped around the baby's neck that caused it to be stillborn.
Don't inject Lysol.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

The creepiness of the "conservative" republican male obsession to control anything and everything in the general vicinity of American vaginas is disgusting.

Televangelist Pat Robertson: Alabama’s abortion ban is ‘extreme’ and has ‘gone too far’

Longtime televangelist Pat Robertson decried Alabama’s new abortion ban as “extreme,” saying on his show on Wednesday that the state legislature has “gone too far.”

Alabama’s law, which has been passed by the legislature and signed by the governor, includes a penalty of up to 99 years in prison for doctors who perform abortions and has no exceptions for rape or incest, Robertson noted on his show...
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Feral wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 9:53 pm The creepiness of the "conservative" republican male obsession to control anything and everything in the general vicinity of American vaginas is disgusting.

All 25 Alabama state senate votes in favor of the law are from white men.