"Whataboutism"

Ugh.
dolomite
Contributor

"Whataboutism"

Post by dolomite »

So "whataboutism" is a term bandied about whenever (insert political party) wants to refute a political argument when there is no basis in fact to do so.
So when an attorney looks up a historic law case and presents his reasoning in court, I can't imagine the opposing attorney shouting "WHATABOUTISM"!! As if the presiding judge will not allow the testimony to stand up in court.
LOL
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
ousdahl

Re: "Whataboutism"

Post by ousdahl »

I dunno if judicial precedent is quite the same as trying to normalize Trump because Cankles.
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

ousdahl wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 9:13 am I dunno if judicial precedent is quite the same as trying to normalize Trump because Cankles.
or vice-versa.
“Avoid the foolish notion of hope. Hope is the surrender of authority to your fate and trusting it to the whims of the wind”.
Taylor Sheridan
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

huh?
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

ousdahl wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 9:15 amhuh?
lmao
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

Did I miss out on something and this is now a court and not a discussion forum?
Don't inject Lysol.
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

seahawk wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 2:42 pm Did I miss out on something and this is now a court and not a discussion forum?
We're just discussing apples and oranges.
Taylor Sheridan
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

dolomite wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 6:20 pm
seahawk wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 2:42 pm Did I miss out on something and this is now a court and not a discussion forum?
I am just discussing apples and oranges.

No one else can figure out exactly how in the fuck my comment is relevant
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

Not everyone on these boards understands metaphors.
Taylor Sheridan
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Especially you.
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

Personal responsibility—remember that?
Whataboutism is worrisome because it pushes aside personal responsibility. Apologies—at least apologies done right—seem to be a dying breed when everyone seems to point fingers and dodges, ducks, or dances around any admission that they may not be perfect. Might someone be hypocritical calling you out for something they’ve done too? Yes, but that doesn’t excuse your refusal to act responsibly and offer a genuine, thoughtful apology.
https://www.dictionary.com/e/whataboutisms/
Taylor Sheridan
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

you should send that to your leader
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

TraditionKU wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 9:39 am you should send that to your leader
Like it or not, your leader too. But if not I feel sad for you.
Taylor Sheridan
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Impossible. Trumpians have a low level ability of feeling compassion or empathy and make most of their decisions based on fear.
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

defixione wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 3:04 pm Impossible. Trumpians have a low level ability of feeling compassion or empathy and make most of their decisions based on fear.
And the Dems weren't afraid of letting Kavanaugh join the Supreme Court? (example of fear)
Trump has compassion, look at his pardon of 1st Lt Behanna. (example of compassion)

Your turn
Taylor Sheridan
Deleted User 62

Pardon of a convicted war criminal.

Seems to fit the pattern.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

dolomite wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 4:32 pm
defixione wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 3:04 pm Impossible. Trumpians have a low level ability of feeling compassion or empathy and make most of their decisions based on fear.
And the Dems weren't afraid of letting Kavanaugh join the Supreme Court? (example of fear)
Trump has compassion, look at his pardon of 1st Lt Behanna. (example of compassion)

Your turn
Do you not comprehend anything you read?
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

jeepinjayhawk wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 6:40 pm Pardon of a convicted war criminal.

Good Lord
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
dolomite
Contributor

Post by dolomite »

I prefer mog
Taylor Sheridan
Deleted User 62

Geezer wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 9:05 pm
jeepinjayhawk wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 6:40 pm Pardon of a convicted war criminal.

Good Lord
You disagree?