BBQ

You Love It.
ousdahl

Re: BBQ

Post by ousdahl »

Low and slowed a mess of wings plus a petit fliet that came packaged already in this black pepper marinade.

Superlative!

Gonna make a wing meat and eggs sammich for breakfast, soaked in hot sauce. Then a filet and horseradish sammich for a streamside lunch whilst fishin tomorrow.

Full on flavor, and pass the pepto!
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

Yum
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

soo how long is too long to brine?

Like if I left some half breasts in some apple juice like...all day while I’m at work?
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

not too long
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:16 pm soo how long is too long to brine?

Like if I left some half breasts in some apple juice like...all day while I’m at work?
How much salt in your brine? If it's straight apple juice, it isn't a brine.
Also, chicken in often "enhanced" with a salt water solution. Never brine these, you'll end up with a salt lick.

You are looking to get equilibrium with the salt water solution and the salinity in the meat, so time in the brine doesn't matter, within reason.
Defense. Rebounds.
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

pdub wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:39 pm http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/ ... espn-lines

Don't get BBQ at Kauffman or Arrowhead.
Or KCI.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Of course what's sort of ironic (?) is that a stadium or airport would be...a terrific venue for great Q, because it is "always" ready at some point.

The cafeteria in my office building has Q maybe once a week. It is not good, but GOOD GOD ALMIGHTY is the sausage spicy. I like spicy food, and it's "sweat for about an hour after eating" spicy.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

chiknbut wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:16 pm
pdub wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:39 pm http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/ ... espn-lines

Or KCI.

IMO... Pork and Pickle is the only real food at the Airport. Unless you are meaning Arthur Bryant’s which has been closed since 2013 (?).
I am, I said.
DrPepper

Post by DrPepper »

Speaking of airport food, If you are ever at the Buffalo airport, there is an Anchor Bar there (they invented Buffalo wings). Do not confuse deepfried with bbq.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Soklous wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:27 pm
chiknbut wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:16 pm

Or KCI.
IMO... Pork and Pickle is the only real food at the Airport. Unless you are meaning Arthur Bryant’s which has been closed since 2013 (?).
Charlotte airport has some pretty good bbq
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

let's talk breasts!

boneless skinless chicken, to be exact.

Did a bunch last week and they came out good but a touch dry. How do I keep breasts plump and juicy?
Deleted User 89

i do an olive oil coating, then season, then let rest/marinate
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:36 pm let's talk breasts!

boneless skinless chicken, to be exact.

Did a bunch last week and they came out good but a touch dry. How do I keep breasts plump and juicy?
Cook thighs.
Defense. Rebounds.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Is chuck roast, chuck steak, rump roast, top round, or short ribs worth smoking?
Deleted User 89

i haven’t found anything that isn’t worth smoking
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Chuck roast and short ribs can be smoked. Rump roast and top round are pretty lean and you will dry them out. I'd just grill the chuck steak.
Defense. Rebounds.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

jhawks99 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:41 am Chuck roast and short ribs can be smoked. Rump roast and top round are pretty lean and you will dry them out. I'd just grill the chuck steak.
ETA: Foil the roast and/or ribs after a couple of hours.
Defense. Rebounds.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

noice.

yeah, our ranch raises its own wagyu cattle. And our management, in their infinite wisdom, decided to start selling it in our shop.

(first, we got one of those big chest freezers with the sliding glass doors on top, which was placed prominently in the shop but left empty for weeks. So when guests on vacation came in, they said "HEY LOOK YALL ICE CREAM!" and ran up to it, only to be surprised to see it was empty. Then finally a couple days ago they filled it with wagyu, which prompted guests to come in and say "HEY LOOK YALL ICE CREAM!" and run up to it, only to be surprised to see it's...beef?)

so I've been wondering whether I should use my employee discount to smoke some wagyu. Unfortunately, they've mostly only given us some of the weirder and less desireable cuts, such as chuck roasts and stew meat and soup bones. I'd love to get a brisket or some ribeyes, but lord only knows what they're doing with those.

I haven't smoked much beef either way, but if/when I do I'll report back.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Did you quit your job and take the other one?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I put in my two weeks, at which point they freaked out and offered a fat raise to stay.

I took the money...sigh.

so I've also tried to not whine too much about the managerial lulz, cuz I'm the one who chose to stick around and now only have myself to blame for that, hence the lack of bumps to the professionalism thread.