Best Food

Coffee talk.
ousdahl

Re: Best Food

Post by ousdahl »

howsabout this for a highly-derided take: I'm not big on steak.

If we're grilling, I'd frankly rather have chicken.*

If I'm at a restaurant, even a steakhouse, I'd rather try some more unique dish.**

*beaver LOVES steaks, and always buys them if they're on sale and leaves them in the freezer. He'll randomly announce "let's grill steaks for dinner!" but instead of planning it fresh he'll just pull the steaks out of the freezer and run water on them in an attempt to speed thaw. So I'll posit that's why they're never as tender or juicy as they seem like they should be? He'll eat the shit damn near raw too, when I'll put mine back on the grill, and also maybe add condiments lol.

**cuz steak just seems so predictable, and is also automatically twice as much as anything else on the menu.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:41 am
jfish26 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:39 am
pdub wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:33 am I use A1 but I don't put them ON my steaks.
On the side, dip when I want.
I guess that's what she does.

So I do the thing where I shame her by proxy, and point out to the kids that it's impolite to season food before trying it.
When out, I can handle someone asking for sauce, but I have to take take a lot of internal deep breaths when a well-done steak is sent back to the kitchen to cook it into beef jerky.
Oh I don't think the same rule should apply when out, except at fancy-ass places with like tasting menus and shit.

But yes, if you come to my house and I make you a steak, I'd appreciate you trying it first before saucing it up.

Particularly because my go-to is a teriyaki-based marinade, which is just odd with A1.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:42 am howsabout this for a highly-derided take: I'm not big on steak.

If we're grilling, I'd frankly rather have chicken.*

If I'm at a restaurant, even a steakhouse, I'd rather try some more unique dish.**

*beaver LOVES steaks, and always buys them if they're on sale and leaves them in the freezer. He'll randomly announce "let's grill steaks for dinner!" but instead of planning it fresh he'll just pull the steaks out of the freezer and run water on them in an attempt to speed thaw. So I'll posit that's why they're never as tender or juicy as they seem like they should be? He'll eat the shit damn near raw too, when I'll put mine back on the grill, and also maybe add condiments lol.

**cuz steak just seems so predictable, and is also automatically twice as much as anything else on the menu.
It's hit-or-miss out, for sure. Sometimes you pay like $30 or $50 for something that is indistinguishable from what you'd do in the back yard for $7.

Other times, you get something outrageously great.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

local spot for great dogs

https://jdawgs.com/

they do a cross-cut prior to the grill, and their standard sauce is bbq-esque

i used to get the “double barrel” w/two dogs, onion, and jalapeño
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I'm unlikely to do steak at a restaurant unless at a steakhouse for that very purpose. Steak out is a lot about the experience/atmosphere for me.

Otherwise, I'd rather not pay $60+ for food that I can make at home within a reasonable degree of quality.

On the other hand, it would take a full day minimum to turn out a braised veal osso bucco--something you can get fo 35-50 bucks.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

I very much enjoy onions on a dog. Other than that? Nothing needed or even desired for me.
I assume people have heard the term - "Drag it through the garden" in reference to putting/wanting "everything" on the dog.

Do people prefer charred or steamed?

Of course I have to post an obligatory Weiner Circle video when people talk about hot dogs. Sorry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33zPlnhymCU

Uncensored Weiner Circle.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak4fr18wn2s
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

There's a guy here who sells (I think) 15 ribeyes for 20 bucks out of a trailer in front of the mall. I've never been tempted.

Mrs 99 will only eat her steak well done. Seems the fancier the restaurant the more they miss it. Texas Roadhouse seems to hit it consistently. Other than that, it's 99 cooking her steak.

It's pretty rare that I order a steak at when we're out. I'd rather get something more interesting.
Defense. Rebounds.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Gutter--I'll always kick myself for not making it out to Hot Doug's before it closed.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:54 am I'm unlikely to do steak at a restaurant unless at a steakhouse for that very purpose. Steak out is a lot about the experience/atmosphere for me.

Otherwise, I'd rather not pay $60+ for food that I can make at home within a reasonable degree of quality.

On the other hand, it would take a full day minimum to turn out a braised veal osso bucco--something you can get fo 35-50 bucks.
Man, speaking of hit or miss. When good, it's great, but when bad, it's just gummy fat.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

jhawks99 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:55 am There's a guy here who sells (I think) 15 ribeyes for 20 bucks out of a trailer in front of the mall. I've never been tempted.

Mrs 99 will only eat her steak well done. Seems the fancier the restaurant the more they miss it. Texas Roadhouse seems to hit it consistently. Other than that, it's 99 cooking her steak.

It's pretty rare that I order a steak at when we're out. I'd rather get something more interesting.
Not a big ribeye guy. I prefer strips and filets.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

when CnB mentioned steakhouse experience/atmosphere, the first thing I thought of was throwing peanuts on the floor at Texas roadhouse haha.

otherwise, what is a proper steakhouse atmosphere? Dim lighting and a dress code?

but yeah, if you're gonna spend a week's worth of groceries on a single dish at a restaurant, get something that's actually difficult to prepare.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:05 am when CnB mentioned steakhouse experience/atmosphere, the first thing I thought of was throwing peanuts on the floor at Texas roadhouse haha.

otherwise, what is a proper steakhouse atmosphere? Dim lighting and a dress code?

but yeah, if you're gonna spend a week's worth of groceries on a single dish at a restaurant, get something that's actually difficult to prepare.
My favorite is the jazz club in the basement of The Majestic in downtown KC, but you'll find me (and Mrs. Fish) at the tables back near the bar. Too damn loud right at the stage.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Ever since getting a sous vide, I see no reason to get steak at a restaurant. It's super easy, much much much cheaper, and at least as tasty at home.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:05 amotherwise, what is a proper steakhouse atmosphere? Dim lighting and a dress code?
For me, it's maybe more the company and the start of a big night. Group of 4+, impeccable service, and a continuous flow of gin martinis and red wine.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

gin martinis and red wine at a steakhouse, yum!

(and pass the pepto.)
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I'm enjoying all these food threads lately. Nice to have this be the primary discussion instead of the pandemic threads.

but for the record the GOAT food posts on this site are my reviews of hot pot and Korean bbq.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Mrs 99 and I spent a week in Charleston. The hotel we stayed in gave us a voucher for $50 worth of food and drink per day. They had a steakhouse in the hotel. Dark wood, potted palms, long wooden bar. Servers in black with floor length white aprons. The whole shtick. I was looking forward to oysters, shrimp and flounder, all local to the area. Server said, "All of our steaks are 45 day dry aged prime." I had a 12oz ribeye, best steak I've ever had.

The $50 voucher did not put a dent in the bill. Worth it though.
Defense. Rebounds.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I think I’ve shared this before, but I was in Charleston a few years back. Asked the hotel where to find the best bbq in town, assuming “Carolina style” was obvious.

Walk a few blocks to the recommended joint, get a seat, and the first thing I see on the menu is “best Kansas City style bbq in town!”
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Where are you guys shopping that you can get a $7 steak?

If I want a prime steak from the meat counter (ribeye, strip, filet, or t-bone) it costs my >$15/lb....on sale.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Back in late December I had a steak at CUT in L.A. (Beverly Hills).
Was skeptical before I went for several reasons. I thought the steak was outstanding. Except - one big problem for some/many/most people. I felt it was overly seasoned. Not sure if restaurants should error on the side of blandness but at least you can dress it up to your liking. When you are served something that is overly seasoned you really have no choice other than to eat it or send it back. I happen to usually like GOOD seasoning so for me it was excellent.
I am not a sauce guy. They provided me with several sauces to sample. Some of them were really freaking good.
I know people will be critical simply because it's a Wolfgang Puck joint but I was very pleasantly surprised with the entire meal as a whole. I give it 4 to 4.5 stars out of 5.