Best Food

Coffee talk.
ousdahl

Re: Best Food

Post by ousdahl »

which celeb chefs have the best restaurants? Which have the worst?

The only one I can think of is I went to an Emeril joint in Vegas. I don't even remember what I got, except that it seemed overpriced and underwhelming.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Everyone seems to rave about Thomas Keller's.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

oh!

I went to a Jose Andres place in DC.

that was really, really good.

I had charred baby octopus and it blew my mind. Like nothing I'd ever tried before.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Went to NOLA in the mid-90's (Emeril's restaurant) when I was there for a convention, before I really knew who Emeril was or what he looked like (maybe he was there?!!). Excellent food, exceptional service. Went there about 10 years later and it was definitely underwhelming.

Michael Mina's places have been consistently superb, although there is no way I am spending that kind of money without some else picking up the tab. Bobby Flay's in Vegas was underwhelming.
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

Went to Emeril's Delmonico in NOLA a couple of years ago and it was quite good. Not Commander's Palace level, but good. There's an Emeril's pretty close to me and it's underwhelming, to say the least.
Don't inject Lysol.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"Where are you guys shopping that you can get a $7 steak?"

$10/lb up here, generally, at the grocery stores.
I'm guessing you can get it for $7/$8 in Kansas.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I don't think I've eaten at a celeb chef's restaurant, unless you count CPK and their awful pizza.

I did go to a James Beard dinner at the American several years ago. 10 courses, each paired with a different wine. There were several celebs there. Rick Tramanto of Tru, John Besh of August, Max (can't remember his last name) cheese guy and Artisinal in NYC, Barbara Lynch of No 9 Park in Boston. Celina Tio was at the American at the time and did a course, Robert Mondavi's daughter did the wine pairing. Others that I can't remember were from the Four Seasons in SF and a guy from Atlanta.

Pretty cool, we gathered in the lounge overlooking the dining room. Tables were 8 top rounds, each place setting was preset, including 10 wine glasses set up like bowling pins. They passed cocktails and hors d'oeuvres while we watched the servers pour red wine into designated glasses according to course.

Besh's coarse was clearly the worst. Pheasant two ways with fried sweetbreads. My buddy's plate was missing the sweetbreads and mine should have been. They were fried to crunchy little pebbles. The legs were confited and pretty tasty, the breast was grilled, overcooked and super dry.

Barbara Lynch's white bean with prosciutto was our favorite of the night. We got to have a drink and talk to her after the dinner. She's very funny and has an allsome potty mouth.

We about got into an argument with Tramanto. We were sure we tasted a spice that he said wasn't there. We'd had a few cocktails and 10 glasses of wine and didn't know when to let it go. He handled it very well though.

For $250 + tip, it was a steal.
Defense. Rebounds.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Grandma wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:54 am Back in late December I had a steak at CUT in L.A. (Beverly Hills).
Was skeptical before I went for several reasons. I thought the steak was outstanding. Except - one big problem for some/many/most people. I felt it was overly seasoned. Not sure if restaurants should error on the side of blandness but at least you can dress it up to your liking. When you are served something that is overly seasoned you really have no choice other than to eat it or send it back. I happen to usually like GOOD seasoning so for me it was excellent.
I am not a sauce guy. They provided me with several sauces to sample. Some of them were really freaking good.
I know people will be critical simply because it's a Wolfgang Puck joint but I was very pleasantly surprised with the entire meal as a whole. I give it 4 to 4.5 stars out of 5.
Next time - BOA Steakhouse in Santa Monica. Preferably on a warm and not-too-breezy day, the patio is just phenomenal.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:40 am Where are you guys shopping that you can get a $7 steak?

If I want a prime steak from the meat counter (ribeye, strip, filet, or t-bone) it costs my >$15/lb....on sale.
You can get 8oz strips for $7 most of the time. Not great, but that's the kids' sidecar to our filets or thicker strips.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

jhawks99 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:16 am Mrs 99 and I spent a week in Charleston. The hotel we stayed in gave us a voucher for $50 worth of food and drink per day. They had a steakhouse in the hotel. Dark wood, potted palms, long wooden bar. Servers in black with floor length white aprons. The whole shtick. I was looking forward to oysters, shrimp and flounder, all local to the area. Server said, "All of our steaks are 45 day dry aged prime." I had a 12oz ribeye, best steak I've ever had.

The $50 voucher did not put a dent in the bill. Worth it though.
A client gave me a $250 gift card to Eddie V's over the holidays. That gift ended up costing us about $350.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

pdub wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:45 am "Where are you guys shopping that you can get a $7 steak?"

Maybe, the thin cut stuff they have out that's probably select of choice. But then that's not really a good comparison to what you're gonna pay $50 for at a steak house.

I just checked Costco's website, so I'm assuming that's a more national price, and it's $17.99 for prime ribeye per pound.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

with all these numbers being thrown around the past few posts, it makes me stop and think: damn, that's a lot of hot dogs.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Mjl wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:10 am Ever since getting a sous vide, I see no reason to get steak at a restaurant. It's super easy, much much much cheaper, and at least as tasty at home.
I exclusively do steaks sous vide. But the hottest my grill can get up to for the sear is a little north of 600 degrees. That's not quite the same as what restaurants can do, and there's a difference.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

jhawks99 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:55 am
It's pretty rare that I order a steak at when we're out. I'd rather get something more interesting.
I often like to get a steak, and then go interesting with the sides or appetizers.

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

gimme some of yer tots!
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:05 pm
Mjl wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:10 am Ever since getting a sous vide, I see no reason to get steak at a restaurant. It's super easy, much much much cheaper, and at least as tasty at home.
I exclusively do steaks sous vide. But the hottest my grill can get up to for the sear is a little north of 600 degrees. That's not quite the same as what restaurants can do, and there's a difference.
Scotching hot cast iron pan. I know, not as fun
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:54 am I'm unlikely to do steak at a restaurant unless at a steakhouse for that very purpose. Steak out is a lot about the experience/atmosphere for me.

Otherwise, I'd rather not pay $60+ for food that I can make at home within a reasonable degree of quality.

On the other hand, it would take a full day minimum to turn out a braised veal osso bucco--something you can get fo 35-50 bucks.
We've argued about this before, but I'd rather pay $60 for a meal that would cost $25 from the grocery store than $40 for something that would cost $12.

And braising something doesn't take any more skill than does grilling something, it just takes more time.

The polenta takes a delicate touch, but that's a side, so I'm not counting it.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:03 pm
pdub wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:45 am "Where are you guys shopping that you can get a $7 steak?"

Maybe, the thin cut stuff they have out that's probably select of choice. But then that's not really a good comparison to what you're gonna pay $50 for at a steak house.

I just checked Costco's website, so I'm assuming that's a more national price, and it's $17.99 for prime ribeye per pound.
Costco here has great deals on Prime from time-to-time. Sometimes half price--we always load up when we see one and then freeze.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Mjl wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:10 pm
jfish26 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 12:05 pm
Scotching hot cast iron pan. I know, not as fun
What oil can I use that will not result in my house burning down?