TDub wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:34 pmEhh
Seems wrong to me too.
Steaks on the grill.
You finish on the grill.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: Best Food

Post by pdub »

Why not just do it all on the grill if you're gonna fire up the grill?
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

pdub wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:42 pm Why not just do it all on the grill if you're gonna fire up the grill?
I think they've been explaining for the last page or so that it has to do with perfect internal temperature.

Do people really marinade their steaks? I might add a little honey and soy sauce (very little) or garlic. But marinade?
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Depends on the cut. Skirt or flank I marinate. Most others I just salt, immerse, then sear.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

chiknbut wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:45 pm
pdub wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:42 pm Why not just do it all on the grill if you're gonna fire up the grill?
I think they've been explaining for the last page or so that it has to do with perfect internal temperature.

Do people really marinade their steaks? I might add a little honey and soy sauce (very little) or garlic. But marinade?
Salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder. Splash teriyaki into the vacuum bag before sealing. Cook sous vide at 129 for 1-4 hours. Finish 30-60 seconds per side on max heat grill.

Serve immediately.

(This last thing is a distinction from cooking other ways - you do not need to, and SHOULD NOT, let sit after taking off the direct heat. For this reason, you should plan the rest of your meal to be plated or ready to serve immediately before removing the steaks from the sous vide bath. This has caused much consternation with Mrs. Fish, who for some dingbat reason, simply cannot internalize that the meat must be the very last thing to be done.)
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

So, wheres the char tho. Part of why I like a steak is that fired sear char on the outside and the nice soft medium rare/rare interior.

Sous vide sounds like its just all soft meat. Maybe its good, like i said never had it or heard of it, so who am i to discredit it. Just seems weird to me.
Just Ledoux it
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

Mjl wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:56 pm Depends on the cut. Skirt or flank I marinate. Most others I just salt, immerse, then sear.
Well, of course. Skirt or flank is a relatively poor cut of meat. It needs some marinade, especially if you're using skirt to make arranchara.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TDub wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:20 pm So, wheres the char tho. Part of why I like a steak is that fired sear char on the outside and the nice soft medium rare/rare interior.

Sous vide sounds like its just all soft meat. Maybe its good, like i said never had it or heard of it, so who am i to discredit it. Just seems weird to me.
After you pull from the water (and remove from the bag), you throw it on the hottest surface you can generate, for 30-60 seconds each side.

You can also sear BEFORE cooking sous vide, which I do in the case of tri tip or other roast-type cuts.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

https://anovaculinary.com/what-is-sous-vide/

"The reason–when using traditional methods of cooking, you don’t have control over heat and temperature. Consequently, it’s very difficult and time consuming to consistently cook great food."

Sounds like a personal problem.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

pdub wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:56 pm https://anovaculinary.com/what-is-sous-vide/

"The reason–when using traditional methods of cooking, you don’t have control over heat and temperature. Consequently, it’s very difficult and time consuming to consistently cook great food."

If you can consistently cook your steaks to an exact level of desired doneness, then hats off to you.

Sounds like a personal problem.
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

jhawks99 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:56 am I don't think I've eaten at a celeb chef's restaurant, unless you count CPK and their awful pizza.
Other than Susan Spicer's restaurant, because she cooked for a women's chef fundraiser for a battered women's shelter that we attended, I can't remember going to a restaurant by a named chef, but we were treating kids and grandkids with various cars for a special birthday dinner and Delmonico's had parking (always a problem in NOLA) and was easy to get to. It was a favorite traditional NOLA restaurant before it closed and Emeril bought it, but to his credit, kept much of the atmosphere and a similar menu.

We usually went to Commander Palace for signature events, because husband received celebrity treatment there.
Last edited by seahawk on Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't inject Lysol.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Some really lame flexing going on here.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Hey if y'all need to boil your steaks, go for it.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Friends of mine both inside and outside of the biz swear by sous vide. I don't blame them. In a high volume restaurant environment, it's a fool proof method of correctly cooked steaks. I don't use it, seems like cheating to me, but to each their own.

I liberally salt the steak. No other seasonings, I feel pepper, garlic powder etc have a tendency to burn. After salting, I start the charcoal. Hardwood lump using a chimney. When going strong, I dump it on one side of the Weber and top with unlit charcoal. Once it's going like crazy, I lay the steak directly over the hot coals. After a few minutes, I give the quarter turn to get the diamond grill marks. A couple more minutes, I flip. Let that side sear a little then move over to the other side with no coals and put the lid on. A couple minutes later, check for doneness and pull.

LET THE DAMN THING REST.

Serve with baked tater and veggie of your choice.
Defense. Rebounds.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jhawks99 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:04 pm Friends of mine both inside and outside of the biz swear by sous vide. I don't blame them. In a high volume restaurant environment, it's a fool proof method of correctly cooked steaks. I don't use it, seems like cheating to me, but to each their own.

I liberally salt the steak. No other seasonings, I feel pepper, garlic powder etc have a tendency to burn. After salting, I start the charcoal. Hardwood lump using a chimney. When going strong, I dump it on one side of the Weber and top with unlit charcoal. Once it's going like crazy, I lay the steak directly over the hot coals. After a few minutes, I give the quarter turn to get the diamond grill marks. A couple more minutes, I flip. Let that side sear a little then move over to the other side with no coals and put the lid on. A couple minutes later, check for doneness and pull.

LET THE DAMN THING REST.

Serve with baked tater and veggie of your choice.
Put me down for a couple orders.
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

jfish26 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:34 pm
TDub wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:20 pm So, wheres the char tho. Part of why I like a steak is that fired sear char on the outside and the nice soft medium rare/rare interior.

After you pull from the water (and remove from the bag), you throw it on the hottest surface you can generate, for 30-60 seconds each side.

You can also sear BEFORE cooking sous vide, which I do in the case of tri tip or other roast-type cuts.

Gotcha. Makes more sense that way i guess
Just Ledoux it
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:01 pm Some really lame flexing going on here.
If thats me its not flexing its a lack of understanding. Although i do tend to prefer nearly all things on lump charcoal or wood.

If thats for pdub. Well. Yknow.
Just Ledoux it
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I'm with you 99.

Don't let a machine do the work with meat.
I feel the same way with the auto electric pellet smokers.

Wood and charcoal and fire.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

TDub wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:11 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 7:01 pm Some really lame flexing going on here.
If thats me its not flexing its a lack of understanding. Although i do tend to prefer nearly all things on lump charcoal or wood.

If thats for pdub. Well. Yknow.
It was not directed at you. But, I can tell you that I absolutely have no issues with how you or anyone else chooses to cook their meat or chooses where to dine.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Oscar Meyer is trying to get everyone to frontyard cookout on May 2. Seems cheezy, but I am planning on firing up the smoker for a pork butt.

Anyone else participating?
Defense. Rebounds.