Punt the Big 12 Tourney Petition

Kansas Basketball.
randylahey

Re: Punt the Big 12 Tourney Petition

Post by randylahey »

lot of nonsense in this thread. I get people wanting our studs to be healthy and rested for the big dance. but come on people... the big 12 tourney matters some. in 2008 we beat a really good texas team in the big 12 championship. played all our guys a ton of minutes. used basically a 7 man rotation.. same as this year. and used that momentum to jump start our NCAA run
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

In 2008 we were still fighting for a 1 seed.
Texas even had a shot at leap frogging us.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Grandma wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:52 pm Conference Tournaments are exciting for fans of bubble programs - and those who bet on the games. Otherwise, I honestly don't know why fans would give a fuck about them.
It's three more KU games, which I like a lot.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

randylahey wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:42 pm
jfish26 wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:35 am
pdub wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:31 am

Very very likely.
But there might, and emphasis on might, be a scenario where Dayton wins out, we loose 2 games in a row, and we are the 4th 1 seed behind Gonzaga, Dayton and Baylor, which might mean we go East.
I think our floor right now is the #2 overall seed. Gonzaga, San Diego St., Dayton...none of them can get enough wins where being above us would even pass the laugh test.
I think the only way we aren't #1 overall is if we lose to tech this weekend and lose in the big 12 tournament and baylor wins it. gonzaga, san diego st, dayton... all good teams. all nice records. all of them don't even come close to comparing to our resume when you look at the wins and strength of schedule
None of those teams would pass us if we lost at TT and then in KC to our first game opponent. Our resume is that much better than those teams.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Treat the Conference tourney like the Royals treat Spring Training.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

twocoach wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 9:43 pm
Grandma wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:52 pm Conference Tournaments are exciting for fans of bubble programs - and those who bet on the games. Otherwise, I honestly don't know why fans would give a fuck about them.
And this is a fair argument from a fans perspective
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

from, what, 2006-2013, we lucked out and really didn't have any lineup-altering injuries* at any critical point in the season?

then,

14: Joel (RIP)
15: Perry (he went down about this time with a sprain and wasn't 100% for the tournament, right? though that's also giving him the big benefit of the doubt why he lost that shocker against his hometown homies)
17: Dok (RIP)
18: Dok went down about this time for a few games
19: Dok (RIP) plus Garrett sat for a few games in conference play

tough stretch

*and yeah Rod Stewart's knee was a huge bummer at the worst possible time, but it wasn't a big blow to the lineup considering he was 8th-9th in the rotation
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

You got a good point there. Maybe.
KU isn't guaranteed 3 games.
Sure I was being extreme with my comment and stating my feelings from a 2020 KU fan perspective.
I can step aside from my comment and realize that fans do enjoy the games and no matter what school you're a fan of, it's always fun to travel to another city and watch your team play in a tournament.

Oh, and smart ass me says - if people like to see 3 more KU games after the "regular season", maybe they should hope we don't have such a good regular season so we could have the potential to play 4 conference tournament games?
Or maybe not?
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

“smart-ass” gutter

is there really any other way?

(not that there anything wrong with that)
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

gutter just guttering
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

The concept of the conference tourney is fun enough: the outside-looking-in team that gets hot at the right time and fights their way in via the conference tourney.

But how often does it really happen like that?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Grandma wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 5:50 am
You got a good point there. Maybe.
KU isn't guaranteed 3 games.
Sure I was being extreme with my comment and stating my feelings from a 2020 KU fan perspective.
I can step aside from my comment and realize that fans do enjoy the games and no matter what school you're a fan of, it's always fun to travel to another city and watch your team play in a tournament.

Oh, and smart ass me says - if people like to see 3 more KU games after the "regular season", maybe they should hope we don't have such a good regular season so we could have the potential to play 4 conference tournament games?
Or maybe not?
In the spirit of compromise, I'll settle for one less Big 12 tourney game if they agree to play the first 31 as competitive as they can.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

If you could promise that no one would get hurt, i'd be 100% into playing in this tournament and going all in.

You can't.
( and don't argue - they could get hurt at practice! they could get hurt walking down the sidewalk! they could get hurt eating taco bell! )
And we're not fighting for seed.
The people who want to punt realize it's likely not going to happen but it is statistically a wise thing to do.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I say every year that wish we didn't have to play in the Big 12 tourny. That we'd loose our 1st or 2nd game. And then tip off happens and it's on.
Defense. Rebounds.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

No college team has ever thrown in the towel and started walkons, right?

I wonder how the selection committee would react.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jhawks99 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:04 am I say every year that wish we didn't have to play in the Big 12 tourny. That we'd loose our 1st or 2nd game. And then tip off happens and it's on.
Yea, this is true.
And you get to the final healthy and are matched up against Baylor, well, that's gonna be a good game.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

And I don't advocate starting walk-ons...but really limit our starters minutes, like to the level we haven't seen yet this season.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

In theory we could play Baylor 4 times this year. Thats rare.
Just Ledoux it
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Play to win every game.

But if someone has an injury that would benefit from rest, sit them out. I could see that scenario applying to any or all of Dot, Dok, and Garrett

I don't see a reason to rest Agbaji or Moss. There are several days between the end of the tournament and start of THE tournament. Guys are ~20 and recover great.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

TDub wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 8:31 am In theory we could play Baylor 4 times this year. Thats rare.
We would be very fortunate if we play Baylor 4 times this season. I hope we do.
Technical Gutter says we might play them 5 times this year. Possibly 6? (December 2020 conference game a possibility? - any early season "tournaments"?).