Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 62

Re: NCAA 19-20

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Feral wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:13 pm
Bearcat wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:41 pm
Feral wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:37 pm

Who's asking?
Topic is NCAA 19-20 ... and since I asked, well, I guess that makes me the one asking .....

We had higher expectations.
Wait....we did?
Bearcat

Post by Bearcat »

Feral wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:13 pm
Bearcat wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:41 pm
Feral wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 8:37 pm

Who's asking?
Topic is NCAA 19-20 ... and since I asked, well, I guess that makes me the one asking .....
You're right, the "Topic is NCAA 19-20". I apologize. But, in my defense:

There was reference a few posts ago to how the COVID-19 virus was going to drive the price of airline tickets, hotels, and events down, so I added what in my mind is, a related story. "Related how", you might ask?

The virus has also affected world trade, especially trade involving China. China is the largest importer of oil in the world, and because China is impacted by the virus more than any other nation on the planet, the price of oil has gone down, significantly. Former SoS Rex Tillerson, who is also the former CEO of Exxon, happened to cash in $230 million worth of Exxon stock "tax free" when he became SoS, a post he held for only ~ a year. A year of government service in exchange for the ability to divest yourself of $230 million of stock "tax free" is, according to Josh Brown, "the greatest trade of the era". Capiche?

(Your opinion may differ.)

Bearcat, no one expected Psych to be able to follow this, but you?

We had higher expectations.
I would say KU, being the top seed and getting to choose their venue, picks Omaha and Indianapolis, yes. Could be Houston but I think Indianapolis.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

DCHawk1 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:13 pm Apparently, there's no guarantee if immunity.

Some people are "getting" it a second time in China, and medical professionals are unsure if they're re-infected or merely relapsed.
That's interesting. Other coronaviruses, the ones that cause seasonal colds, provide secondary immunity...not sure for how long, but longer than the seasonal cold.

So it must have very rapid phase variation or antigenic drift. Much faster than influenza.

That'd be really bad for hopes of vaccine development.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

PhDhawk wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:56 pm
DCHawk1 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 6:13 pm Apparently, there's no guarantee if immunity.

Some people are "getting" it a second time in China, and medical professionals are unsure if they're re-infected or merely relapsed.
So it must have very rapid phase variation or antigenic drift. Much faster than influenza.

My wife said this exact same thing with friends at dinner tonight
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Does the NCAA announce the Tournament is cancelled before or after Selection Sunday?
If we are the number 1 team in the country do we get a trophy and do we hang a banner?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Grandma wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:27 am Does the NCAA announce the Tournament is cancelled before or after Selection Sunday?
If we are the number 1 team in the country do we get a trophy and do we hang a banner?
Unlikely to cancel it, because TV money. Playing in empty arenas might be in play.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

jeepinjayhawk wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:03 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:56 pm

My wife said this exact same thing with friends at dinner tonight
I was with a Nebraska Medicine pharmacist over the weekend (that's where a lot of the quarantined folks have ended up, because of a biocontainment center there). Vaccines are already in trials, but simply impossible before the start of next year.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Self has said that KU has decided their regional. Since they are 1-1, they'll get their pick. Won't say what it is, but I have a feeling they'll pick Houston.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

It would be interesting to know if Self gets to know who the 1 seeds are before picking the regional. That would be very helpful.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I saw Tre Jones won ACC POY.

It really is a down year in CBB. Good year to be good.
Deleted User 289

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:21 am Self has said that KU has decided their regional. Since they are 1-1, they'll get their pick. Won't say what it is, but I have a feeling they'll pick Houston.
I'm assuming if we lose our first game in the Big 12 Tourney it doesn't really matter and we're still the number 1 overall seed.
Yes?

Considering the NCAA is actually discussing cutting down on the number of tournament sites I am curious at to if they make a definitive decision to cut down the number of sites AFTER we select our region/sites, what happens?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

PhDhawk wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 3:55 pm If I'm going to get it, I want to get it soon, recover, become immune, and take advantage of the inevitably low priced flights, hotels, events, etc.
If im going to get it i want to get it soon while there are still hospital beda available and staff to care for me.

Im still going to try and avoid it altogether.

And back on topic, it would not shock me to see these games played in empty arenas. We shall see how things progress this week.

I have to think empty arenas benefit the favorites right? Most neutral fans or fans from other teams are cheering for the underdog.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 289

CHALMERS FOR 3!
silence in the stadium.
Would be really fucking weird.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

if a game played in an empty arena is televised, shouldn't that greatly improve the sound quality of the coaches and players?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

But it will also improve the sound quality of Dick Vitale.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

ousdahl wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:32 am if a game played in an empty arena is televised, shouldn't that greatly improve the sound quality of the coaches and players?
Lotsa shoe squeaks.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Grandma wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:31 am
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:21 am Self has said that KU has decided their regional. Since they are 1-1, they'll get their pick. Won't say what it is, but I have a feeling they'll pick Houston.
I'm assuming if we lose our first game in the Big 12 Tourney it doesn't really matter and we're still the number 1 overall seed.
Yes?
Correct. KU could not show up on Thursday and still be #1 overall seed.

NCAA Committee uses multiple rankings to determine ratings. Here they are with KUs rankings.
NET 1
KenPom 1
ESPN Strength of Record 1
BPI 1
KPI 1
Sagarin 1

And #2 is not close either.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

vegashawk

Post by vegashawk »

If Joey brackets is the expert we all know him to be, I will take this http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basket ... acketology in a heart beat. Dok and his mom, here we come!!
Honored to have been voted 2017 kansascrimson poster of the year
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Theres usually a couple teams id rather avoid. I dont have thag feeling this year. Combination of us being great and it being a down year in bball.
Just Ledoux it