NCAA 19-20

Kansas Basketball.
LVCHawk

Re: NCAA 19-20

Post by LVCHawk »

Grandma wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:07 pm
TDub wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:01 pm Amazing, will be an interesting event. What a time to be alive. Probably the right decision.
I agree it is probably the right decision.
Otherwise, my opinion is it will be a horse shit event and it's a shitty time to be alive.
KU doesn't win the Championship - will be the worst NCAA tournament in my lifetime.
You must have slept through the 2010 tournament
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:10 pm If we are all honest and take off the meathead sports fan hat, it's hard to criticize the NCAA for this. Sports leagues all around the world, in countries with less of a spread of the disease than the US (we're on the verge of becoming thee hotbed) are making reasonable tough decisions which include outright cancellations.

NCAA keeps the games, airs them for the fans, and makes a reasonable effort to do its part in limiting the spread. They make the decision more than a week in advance and (hopefully) a final one. Let's play ball.
Couldn't agree more. I think I would have been way more upset if they cancelled it all. I think you can do it without cancelling the entire thing. Fans will still be able to watch on TV and cheer on their teams.

Family (maybe band?) will be in attendance so it won't be completely quiet.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:06 pmAnd help none.
I was there for UNI. You could cut the tension in the building with a knife and you had the K-tater tots going nuts for UNI.

That's all gone.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Every school should get like 100 students to be able to attend.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Time out!
Does the NCAA (Emmert) not give a shit about the people in Sprint tonight, tomorrow, Friday, and Saturday? It's ok to let the players and coaches get the virus over the next 4 days but not in the next few weeks. Got it!
How's that going to work out for ya Mark if tournament teams have players and coaches who test positive between now and through the next few weeks?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Grandma wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:14 pm Time out!
Does the NCAA (Emmert) not give a shit about the people in Sprint tonight, tomorrow, Friday, and Saturday? It's ok to let the players and coaches get the virus over the next 4 days but not in the next week few weeks. Got it!
How's that going to work out for ya Mark if tournament teams have a player/s coach/es who test positive between now and through the next few weeks?
He can only make recs for tonight. He can't cancel it.
Bearcat

Post by Bearcat »

Absolute over reaction in my opinion. Wouldn't be a complete shock if a host city takes this to court. Probably not but wouldn't surprise me.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:13 pm
MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:06 pmAnd help none.
I was there for UNI. You could cut the tension in the building with a knife and you had the K-tater tots going nuts for UNI.

That's all gone.
Inverse of something like that is something like this:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... =320782305

Or more recently this:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... =401025871
Deleted User 303

Post by Deleted User 303 »

Bearcat wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:16 pm Wouldn't be a complete shock if a host city takes this to court.
Lol, what? You think Omaha is going to sue the NCAA, so the NCAA never comes to Nebraska ever again?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Bearcat wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:16 pm Absolute over reaction in my opinion. Wouldn't be a complete shock if a host city takes this to court. Probably not but wouldn't surprise me.
They'll deal with that if/when it comes. And, it's just money, which the NCAA is going to get a lot of.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:18 pm
Bearcat wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:16 pm Absolute over reaction in my opinion. Wouldn't be a complete shock if a host city takes this to court. Probably not but wouldn't surprise me.
They'll deal with that if/when it comes. And, it's just money, which the NCAA is going to get a lot of.
And will, in all likelihood, distribute a lot of as well.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Deleted User 303

Also, can you really sue for lack of tax revenue? NCAA isn't preventing people from going to Omaha. They rented the arena, and refunding people's money, and continuing on with event likely to the best of their contracts. In the name of curbing a pandemic.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Ghost of dotNET past wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:21 pm
Also, can you really sue for lack of tax revenue? NCAA isn't preventing people from going to Omaha. They rented the arena, and refunding people's money, and continuing on with event likely to the best of their contracts. In the name of curbing a pandemic.
Well I misread it and thought this hypothetical plaintiff was the venue/host.

The only point I was trying to make was that paying damages isn't going to scare the NCAA into making or not making a decision.
Bearcat

Post by Bearcat »

At this point it seems cancelling the tournament all together may be the next move by the NCAA. Who knows any more
Deleted User 303

Ah, Host, maybe. I feel like they put a lot of effort and energy into those things, in order to get the door. But I think that would be insured.

But the NCAA, yeah, I think they would rather be sued by CenturyLink arena group then dealing with being the epicenter for the true Cvoid 19 outbreak in the US.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

So for people who have already planned their trips, do they still go, and if so, bars and restaurants at those sites will cash in.
Psychhawk

Post by Psychhawk »

The biggest losers are not the NCAA, not the players, not the fans who made plans, not the arena owners. The real losers are all the workers who lose income, small businesses who lose revenue, people who work for suppliers who might lose jobs. Just this tournament alone, which is what folks on here worry about, will have a pretty big ripple effect on the economy.

I'm not sure which will devastate the US worse, a widespread Coronavirus pandemic, or mass hysteria about trying to prevent the spread devastating the US and world economy.
Deleted User 303

Airlines and hotels are refunding folks, so my assumption is people just going to get their money back. I feel like most out-of-town people wouldn't really have travel plans yet, since all but maybe 4-5 teams won't really know where they will be until Sunday.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Nevermind.*

*Let's try to keep the stuff not associated with the tournament/basketball here:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1732
Bearcat

Post by Bearcat »

Psychhawk wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:34 pm The biggest losers are not the NCAA, not the players, not the fans who made plans, not the arena owners. The real losers are all the workers who lose income, small businesses who lose revenue, people who work for suppliers who might lose jobs. Just this tournament alone, which is what folks on here worry about, will have a pretty big ripple effect on the economy.

I'm not sure which will devastate the US worse, a widespread Coronavirus pandemic, or mass hysteria about trying to prevent the spread devastating the US and world economy.
This!