F the NCAA

Kansas Basketball.
Deleted User 141

Re: F the NCAA

Post by Deleted User 141 »

I like this thread. I seem to click on it a lot to read the new messages. It’s nice there is at least one topic we all agree on.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Geezer wrote: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:32 pm Ever been in a Nebraska grad's office?
Sometime, you should ask me about the orthopedist who rebuilt my shoulder.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

The engineering firm where I worked had a number of Huskers. I swear the state didn't need an income tax, only the receipts from the bookstore.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

This article with a very, very stupid title (and the suggested theme of which is neutered midway through) has interesting things to say.

Will March Madness Suffer From Its Lack of Star Power?

https://www.theringer.com/2020/3/11/211 ... rj-hampton
The issue, as always, is money. The NCAA does not allow athletes to receive money for playing college sports. The organization is so firm in this stance that it punished Wiseman even though he didn’t directly get paid for playing college basketball—he was punished because his family received a loan while he was in high school. Around the time of its founding in 1906, the NCAA jotted down reasons why student-athletes shouldn’t be paid, and ultimately realized how profitable it was to cling to those ideals. CBS and Turner Sports pay the NCAA $857 million annually to broadcast March Madness. Because it does not believe the athletes deserve any of that money (and, somehow, established that not paying its labor is legal), the NCAA and its member institutions keep the vast majority of that. Ad revenue is so lucrative that TV networks apparently thought this contract was a bargain—in 2016, CBS and Turner locked in an extension that will pay the NCAA $8.8 billion so they can broadcast the tournament through 2032.

But what happens if more prized players become convinced that the path Wiseman, Ball, and Hampton are paving is replicable? For years, these types of talents were encouraged to play in college because it gave them the best chance of becoming top NBA draft picks, and years of seeing Duke and Kentucky products own the top of the draft reinforced that. But what if playing well against professional competition—like Ball did in Australia—is actually more impressive to NBA scouts than dunking on schools like Wake Forest and Vanderbilt? What if Wiseman is able preserve his lofty draft stock while avoiding risking injury playing for free?

To the NCAA, the tourney is a perpetual money-making machine. There is an infinite stream of unpaid talent coming in, and it produces an infinite amount of entertaining basketball. The NCAA likely believes an exodus of NBA-caliber talent wouldn’t matter. Even if an entire NBA draft’s worth of talent skipped college at once, that would amount to just 60 players in a division that counts 353 teams. As the NCAA likes to make clear, most of its players go pro in something other than sports—and the NCAA believes this is a boon.

The association says fans watch college sports because of the teams involved, not the players—and has made this case in court as part of its legal argument that there is no monetary value associated with the names, images, and likenesses of student-athletes. With the NCAA tournament, this almost seems to hold water—after all, the biggest buzz comes when a squad of relative nobodies knocks off the big boys. If we’re excited by the Loyola Chicagos and UMBCs of the world, why do we need to see future NBA players to love the tournament?

But this line of thinking is flawed. There’s a reason why we watch the Division I men’s basketball tournament and not the Division III men’s basketball tournament: We want to see the best of the best, and we know the quality of play is higher at schools where the players get athletic scholarships than at liberal arts colleges. (It’s a shame—the world needs to know about Yeshiva University’s historic Sweet 16 run!) Sure, some fans will attend every game at State U regardless of whether the team is any good, but casual fans are drawn in by talent. Local fans are more likely to support winning teams; national fans are more likely to tune into games featuring future widely renowned prospects.

[...]

This season, three top prospects skipped college basketball because of money. What if it were five? What if it were 10? How many great players need to disappear from the tournament for the NCAA to realize it must divert some of its cash flow to keep its stream of talent from drying up?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"The association says fans watch college sports because of the teams involved, not the players..."

And I agree with this.

"Sure, some fans will attend every game at State U regardless of whether the team is any good, but casual fans are drawn in by talent. Local fans are more likely to support winning teams; national fans are more likely to tune into games featuring future widely renowned prospects."

I don't think college basketball would loose all of their casual fans - the tournament is so unique...but also fuck Carl and his 8 brackets and his dark horse 12 seed showing up at Buffalo Wild Wings watching his third college basketball game of the season ( Duke v UNC, some other game that happened to be on while he was drunk on the couch at his in-laws during the holidays ).
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

is KU not considered a Liberal Arts college?

my B.S. was awarded from KU's CLAS...College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
Deleted User 303

Post by Deleted User 303 »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:08 pm is KU not considered a Liberal Arts college?

my B.S. was awarded from KU's CLAS...College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
Liberal Arts Schools usually only focus on Liberal Arts, not offering a wide range of other schools (engineering, business, law, etc). Also, usually Undergrad focused
vmlb

Post by vmlb »

How many fans are not going to watch and/or fill out a bracket this year because the top three prospects aren't playing?
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

vmlb wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:47 pm How many fans are not going to watch and/or fill out a bracket this year because the top three prospects aren't playing?
I agree that the talent drain doesn't affect tournament interest nearly as much as regular season interest, the decline of which leads to bullshit like ESPN+.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

I’ve been entertained by the #1 team in the country without RJ Hampton this season. We have no lotto picks and most likely first rounders. We are stacked with college studs, and are for the next few seasons.

Pretending college hoops is the NBA is the fools gold here. We borrow a few players to make it even better for a year. But NCAA will never be close to the NBA. So talent isn’t what’s being served here.

So to me, Doke and Dot were every bit the same caliber of entertainment as Hampton. Because that is the threshold of this level.
I am, I said.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

No fans at Big 12 starting tmrw. I like it. Get used to it.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:59 pm Get used to it.

Best part by far! Simulated tourney experience.

Plus getting the churro finger lickin Staters dafuq out.
I am, I said.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Lawrence now claims it was Clemson’s compliance department shut down the page. Not the NCAA.
https://www.yardbarker.com/college_foot ... loc=left_r

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Grandma wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:49 am Lawrence now claims it was Clemson’s compliance department shut down the page. Not the NCAA.

So?
Deleted User 289

"So?" What?
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Classic gutter, dumb as shit
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Grandma wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:03 am "So?" What?
1) So let's dance!

2) What does it matter, in terms of the point of the post, that Lawrence pulled the page because of direct NCAA intervention, versus the intervention of a university office that exists solely because of stupid NCAA rules?
Deleted User 289

Cascadia wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:07 am Classic gutter, dumb as shit
I'm really not in the mood for you and your insults. When this shit settles, I will gladly meet you face to face and you can say whatever you want to me in person. In the mean time, shut the fuck up asshole.
Deleted User 289

jfish26 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:11 am
Grandma wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:03 am "So?" What?
1) So let's dance!

2) What does it matter, in terms of the point of the post, that Lawrence pulled the page because of direct NCAA intervention, versus the intervention of a university office that exists solely because of stupid NCAA rules?
A University's compliance department exists "solely because of stupid NCAA rules"?
Hmmm. I learned something new today. Thank you!