hartjack8
Contributor

Re: Where's the petri dish thread?

Post by hartjack8 »

So would you like to hear something funny!!!1
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

According to wikipedia you can diagnose by RT-PCR. If that's the case pretty much any one in healthcare with a thermal cycler should be explaining why they weren't testing on their own all along. No need for a kit....RT-PCR is simple and takes ~3 hours.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Again, not to turn this into a politics thread.......but if I read the above posts (just on this page) I cannot help but realize the unanimous opinion that our current medical care is a complete failure and includes a call for a "Government run" testing/healthcare system (references to Germany and South Korea, not to mentions Singapore in a different thread).
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:50 pm
twocoach wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:24 pmNot everything is a giant conspiracy.
Chiefs win the Super Bowl and the world ends.
I knew it.

https://twitter.com/WGNOtv/status/12383 ... 52576?s=20
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Feral wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:56 pm I'm thoroughly humiliated to be a physician and watch how incredibly inept our health care "system" is in its response to the pandemic. There will be consequences, not only in morbidity and mortality, but in the strains this puts on our society, especially on those with the least ability to handle it. It's bad enough how lame we look to the rest of the world, but the doctor/patient relationship is based on trust, and this is doing nothing but degrading that trust.

Please watch this video to see how another country is responding, and ask yourself how likely we are to see similarly effective measures, when/if the rate of infections continues to climb like it is. (Please spare me the cultural, political, differences, I get that, that's why I said "similarly effective".) And if you don't particularly care for Rachel Maddow, you'll like that she doesn't do much talking.

https://twitter.com/angelialevy/status/ ... tfw">March
Look, I'm as pissy as anyone about how we've fucked this up, but this is straight up bullshit. We can't do what China did because we're not China. There is nothing productive to learn from how totalitarian states deal with crises because, even if they deal with them better than we do, we CANNOT and WILL NOT do the same things. It's like trying to teach your dog to herd sheep by having him watch KU play defense. It's serves no purpose other than to point out the perceived inadequacies of our current regime.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

zsn wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:02 pm Again, not to turn this into a politics thread.......but if I read the above posts (just on this page) I cannot help but realize the unanimous opinion that our current medical care is a complete failure and includes a call for a "Government run" testing/healthcare system (references to Germany and South Korea, not to mentions Singapore in a different thread).
Funny you left Italy, where they're now selecting patients to treat using "catastrophe triage," off your list.

Also, NO. If LabCorp and Quest Diagnostics were involved, that'd be fifteen testing centers in every city. The problem is bureaucratic sclerosis tied to demands for centralization, which is precisely the condition "Government run" anything exacerbates.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

hartjack8 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:57 pm So would you like to hear something funny!!!1
Please.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

zsn wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:02 pm Again, not to turn this into a politics thread.......but if I read the above posts (just on this page) I cannot help but realize the unanimous opinion that our current medical care is a complete failure and includes a call for a "Government run" testing/healthcare system (references to Germany and South Korea, not to mentions Singapore in a different thread).
Sappy, look at the bright side post: There were similar feelings about the government failing after 9/11 and the country came together.

I went to the Costco zoo today and everyone was patient, kind and in surprisingly good spirits.

I think today is a turning point. The numbers are going to get worse before they get better, but we are finally starting to have the right sentiment.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:10 pm
Sappy, look at the bright side post: There were similar feelings about the government failing after 9/11 and the country came together.

I went to the Costco zoo today and everyone was patient, kind and in surprisingly good spirits.

I think today is a turning point. The numbers are going to get worse before they get better, but we are finally starting to have the right sentiment.
I agree. Last night's dramatic events were an inflection point.

And that's good cuz...

https://twitter.com/sethbannon/status/1 ... 1660518400
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:43 pm I think the new tests are 8 hours and the tests in Korea are 5 hours.

Should have had those weeks ago.

https://twitter.com/secnorman/status/12 ... 53184?s=21
I am, I said.
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

Ok well was just going to say....

I dont watch tv, I mean I watch sports but unless there is a hurricane I dont watch tv.

So due to work aspects and stock market and you know this virus I freaking turn on the tv.

So what the fuck garbage is on tv. Cnn is so far left and fox is so far right. No one is telling the truth.

WTF garbage. Agenda agenda agenda so freaking stupid. Mind blowing.

Understand I am non political. Do not vote have never voted in my life.

This reporting is so slanted its obvious,

Im trying to find facts and there is nothing but junk.

My god who the fuck watches this stuff,
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

DCHawk1 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:05 pm
Feral wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:56 pm I'm thoroughly humiliated to be a physician and watch how incredibly inept our health care "system" is in its response to the pandemic. There will be consequences, not only in morbidity and mortality, but in the strains this puts on our society, especially on those with the least ability to handle it. It's bad enough how lame we look to the rest of the world, but the doctor/patient relationship is based on trust, and this is doing nothing but degrading that trust.

Please watch this video to see how another country is responding, and ask yourself how likely we are to see similarly effective measures, when/if the rate of infections continues to climb like it is. (Please spare me the cultural, political, differences, I get that, that's why I said "similarly effective".) And if you don't particularly care for Rachel Maddow, you'll like that she doesn't do much talking.

Look, I'm as pissy as anyone about how we've fucked this up, but this is straight up bullshit. We can't do what China did because we're not China. There is nothing productive to learn from how totalitarian states deal with crises because, even if they deal with them better than we do, we CANNOT and WILL NOT do the same things. It's like trying to teach your dog to herd sheep by having him watch KU play defense. It's serves no purpose other than to point out the perceived inadequacies of our current regime.
Oh no, DC thinks it's "straight up bullshit"! If only I had included a disclaimer, I wouldn't be facing public ridicule by our resident public health expert. Woe is me. Woe is me!!!

If that's your response to seeing an example that we might learn something from for how to even begin attempting to flatten the curve on this pandemic in the US, I'm glad you aren't in a position to make public health decisions for Americans.

Before the COVID-19 outbreak ever appeared far away on the horizon, having participated in numerous types of disaster drills over the years, I would have assumed we had the infrastructure to at least begin to respond in an effective way, but by all appearances, we don't. Here, if a governor like Inslee of Washington or Cuomo of NY, or the CEOs of large corporations don't take steps to limit their employees exposure, where is that direction coming from? Certainly not the our government. Perhaps seeing examples of what's working is worth something. Prepping Americans for what's likely to come, even though we don't repeat the same protocols as the Chinese, can in no way hurt. Americans, as independent as we are, are still going to have to make changes in their lives, and getting used to the concept of being tested on an as needed basis, is only a first step in the process.

We need a denominator.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

DCHawk1 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:08 pm
Funny you left Italy, where they're now selecting patients to treat using "catastrophe triage," off your list.

Also, NO. If LabCorp and Quest Diagnostics were involved, that'd be fifteen testing centers in every city. The problem is bureaucratic sclerosis tied to demands for centralization, which is precisely the condition "Government run" anything exacerbates.
If LabCorp and Quest were involved there would be fifteen testing centers in every city but only fifteen people (if that) would get tested in each center. Since insurance companies could f#$# over anyone and everyone even that is likely an overestimation.

Italy is an aberration because they got punched in the face before they knew what they were facing....now they're staggering to stand up.

All Hail Katie Porter!!
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

I don't think anyone could have guessed that Armey is a republican.

https://twitter.com/evanasmith/status/1 ... tfw">March
Anand Giridharadas
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Feral wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:38 pm
DCHawk1 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:05 pm

Oh no, DC thinks it's "straight up bullshit"! If only I had included a disclaimer, I wouldn't be facing public ridicule by our resident public health expert. Woe is me. Woe is me!!!

If that's your response to seeing an example that we might learn something from for how to even begin attempting to flatten the curve on this pandemic in the US, I'm glad you aren't in a position to make public health decisions for Americans.

Before the COVID-19 outbreak ever appeared far away on the horizon, having participated in numerous types of disaster drills over the years, I would have assumed we had the infrastructure to at least begin to respond in an effective way, but by all appearances, we don't. Here, if a governor like Inslee of Washington or Cuomo of NY, or the CEOs of large corporations don't take steps to limit their employees exposure, where is that direction coming from? Certainly not the our government. Perhaps seeing examples of what's working is worth something. Prepping Americans for what's likely to come, even though we don't repeat the same protocols as the Chinese, can in no way hurt. Americans, as independent as we are, are still going to have to make changes in their lives, and getting used to the concept of being tested on an as needed basis, is only a first step in the process.

We need a denominator.
Sorry.

I just don't think indulging in absurdist and imperious daydreams is especially helpful, no matter the problem.

Also, don't take my criticism of Rachel Maddow so personally.
Last edited by DCHawk1 on Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

zsn wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:39 pm
DCHawk1 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:08 pm

If LabCorp and Quest were involved there would be fifteen testing centers in every city but only fifteen people (if that) would get tested in each center. Since insurance companies could f#$# over anyone and everyone even that is likely an overestimation.

Italy is an aberration because they got punched in the face before they knew what they were facing....now they're staggering to stand up.

All Hail Katie Porter!!
Oh.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Feral wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:54 pm I don't think anyone could have guessed that Armey is a republican.

https://twitter.com/evanasmith/status/1 ... tfw">March
There's a reason Evan Smith tweeted a "screenshot" of Armey's tweet, namely the fact Armey's actual Twitter account hasn't tweeted anything since 2013.

Oh well.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

When did Armey last use FB?