NFL Offseason 2020

Kansas Football.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: NFL Offseason 2020

Post by pdub »

Woof.
That's a lot of money for Ryan Tannehill.
118 mill for 4 years? I know the cap is increasing but he's 32 and was a backup beginning last season.

One team out for Brady.
Down to likely Chargers, Bucs and Pats.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Also to note, I'm glad Steven Sims has found a place in the NFL.
At almost no cost to the Redskins, he had a good year, so they'll be keeping him for the rest of his contract ( 3 years, 1.7 million ).
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

pdub wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:15 am Also to note, I'm glad Steven Sims has found a place in the NFL.
At almost no cost to the Redskins, he had a good year, so they'll be keeping him for the rest of his contract ( 3 years, 1.7 million ).
Yeah it was fun to watch him bring some excitement to that shitty Washington Racial Slurs offense.

Lot of people forget that he was a damn good returner before Beaty and Co decided against putting him back there to save him for offense. He was really good as a young player in that role. Now gets to do it in DC on top of being involved in offense.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Holy shit Texans.

David Johnson from Cardinals to Texans.

DEANDRE FUCKING HOPKINS from Texans to Cardinals.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Don't forget that 4th round pick, Newton, lol.

Bill O'Brien as your GM might be the dumbest move of all time. RIP to Watson's career.
Holidaysmore - 2005
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

We'll see in 3 years. O'Brien might come out looking pretty smart for this. You'd rather trade a year early than a year late.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

For a fucking running back who had 715 yards TOTAL in 9 games.

Oh and he's old. Older than Hopkins. He's 28. A running back falls off around 29-30.

So incredibly awful.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I don't think it has anything to do w/ David Johnson.

But, I would have waited for a higher pick.

I think they pretty much had to part with Hopkins.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

This appears to be the trend in the NFL right now...dump 'aging' big money guys in hopes of finding a cheaper alternative. In this case I just don't see it...
1. Nuk has been about as reliable as one can come as far as injuries go
2. Consistently top 5 WR in the NFL
3. You have a young QB who is coming up on a big pay day - should be win now mode
4. At least for the Chiefs blue print surround your young franchise QB with as much talent on the offensive side as possible
5. You got an old washed up David Johnson to an already crowded back field of mostly older or throw away RBs

In comparison the Texans got second and third round picks for Clowney and Nuke. Gave up first round picks for Tunsil and Stills. Billy O'Brien losing his damn mind.
Holidaysmore - 2005
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

holidaysmore wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:58 pm4. At least for the Chiefs blue print surround your young franchise QB with as much talent on the offensive side as possible
I think that's why you do it. Houston isn't winning it in 2020. You now have a shit-ton of cap room and Johnson comes off the books after 2020. Hopkins just had his worst season with Houston in a few years and is trending down.

Judge this in 3 years, it might look really good as Houston has no draft picks and little cap room with Hopkins.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Rationally thinking you might be right, CnB. The day a franchise sees you slipping and you are getting big money is the day you are getting traded, cut or released.
Holidaysmore - 2005
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

holidaysmore wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:47 pm Rationally thinking you might be right, CnB. The day a franchise sees you slipping and you are getting big money is the day you are getting traded, cut or released.
Don't get me wrong, part of playing devil's advocate here is to manufacture some real sports discussion during these times. There are certainly plenty of examples where trading a star blows up in the trading teams' face.

But, the thing that stood out to me is what Peter King said yesterday in that, by trading Hopkins, Texas only take a $3m hit next season and then he's off the books forever. I tend to think that guys like Watson and especially Mahomes turn above average guys into pro bowl type producers and would hate to overpay for anyone.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

So in that same regard...

Nuk was still on a three year deal so yeah the hit is literally nothing. You free up a ton of cap space to use on whatever they want.

Now that being said if we are using Mahomes and the Chiefs as a blueprint Mahomes had Kelce, Hill and Watkins. The Chiefs put up BIG money for Watkins in FA to pair with Mahomes. The Texans just got rid of one of the best WRs in the league. Perhaps they are freeing up space to go after a different WR. The thing is the Texans need weapons to surround Watson.
Holidaysmore - 2005
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

So Houston punts next season.
Good for them.
Make the AFC easier.
vmlb

Post by vmlb »

Also supposed to be a deep WR draft.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Now CNBs Vikes traded away Diggs and a 7th for a 1st, 5th, 6th and 2021 4th.

Interesting

Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:04 pm
holidaysmore wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:58 pm4. At least for the Chiefs blue print surround your young franchise QB with as much talent on the offensive side as possible
I think that's why you do it. Houston isn't winning it in 2020. You now have a shit-ton of cap room and Johnson comes off the books after 2020. Hopkins just had his worst season with Houston in a few years and is trending down.

Judge this in 3 years, it might look really good as Houston has no draft picks and little cap room with Hopkins.
aren't there 25 or so WR1 candidates in this draft?
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

sorry vmlb, i hadn't read your reply when I posted
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:43 pm Now CNBs Vikes traded away Diggs and a 7th for a 1st, 5th, 6th and 2021 4th.

Interesting
Yeah the return on Diggsy makes me rethink the Hopkins deal a little.

Will miss him, but it was time to finally let him go. And the return is more than satisfying.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Vikes won there.
Bills get better but loose their 1st in doing so.

Texans get an F.
They are on the hook for David Johnson’s contract which unless he reverts to form of a few years ago ( unlikely ) they would have been better off resigning Hyde or looking to FA.

They had Hopkins for I think 3 more years at what should be, as the cap just increased, a reasonable price for a top 3 receiver.

Morans.