2020 offseason thread

Kansas Football.
NewtonHawk11

Re: 2020 offseason thread

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:23 am ST and RB's are the positions you give new guys or your recruiter-only guys.

The lack of ST experience is no issue for me.
Yep. And to be honest, all the other coaches help in some aspect of special teams. The ST coach does not help the linemen get their feet set, the OL coach does. The WR coach is usually the guy that helps the returners. All the ST coach does is oversee the entire scheme. And it doesn't take too much for them to watch film for a few weeks to get an idea of what they want to do/who they want to copy.

Just an FYI for those who don't know much about ST. It's more about hustle and effort compared to schemes. Yeah, having a nice blocking scheme on a return definitely helps, but it's mostly about effort and just having dudes who can make plays.

That's where KUs lack of depth has really hurt the last 7-10 years. They don't have the usual depth, and are having to play starters on Special Teams, which in turn, wipes them out later in the game.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Anyone can coach RB’s

That has to be the easiest job in football.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Cascadia wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:37 pm Anyone can coach RB’s

That has to be the easiest job in football.
It is, and it's not terribly close. The biggest thing you have to teach them is seeing the field if they're in pass protection. They have to know where blitzes are coming from and what the OL is doing with their protections.

Other than that, the play is to hit the B gap as hard as you possibly can and cover the ball with 2 hands. Not much more than that.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

KU and Fresno agree to 3 game series..

2025 and 2031 at KU.
2029 at Fresno.

I mean sure.. But fun (in my eyes) to look way ahead and check out future schedules.

Recap of upcoming opponents that have been scheduled.. KU likes to go FCS, P5 and G5.

New Hampshire, Boston College, at Coastal
South Dakota, Coastal, at Duke
At Houston, Duke
Illinois, Houston
Southern Illinois, At Illinois
Fresno State
La Tech, at Washington State
Washington St, at La Tech
At Virginia, at Fresno State
Virginia
Fresno State

Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Really need to buy out @ Coastal and @ Duke.

Need a booster to write a $6M check
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

This is our roster for next year as far as I can tell and it shows that we have a few years till we may be relevant. Do not think buying out games is necessary at this time.

Senior (20): 1. Burt 2. Chandler 3. Clark 4. Frazier 5. Hughes 6. K. Johnson 7. E. Jones 8. L. Jones 9. R. Lewis 10. Lopeti 11. Luavasa 12. MacVittie 13. Mane 14. K. Mayberry 15. Naylor 16. Parchment 17. Prox 18. S. Robinson 19. Thomas 20. Thompson

Junior (11): 1. Bostick 2. Dineen 3. Ferguson 4. Gilbertson 5. Hatcher 6. Kendrick 7. Lee 8. Root 9. Sampson 10. P. Williams 11. T. Williams

Sophomore (9): 1. Copeland 2. Fairchild 3. Gardner 4. Logan 5. Lott 6. Malbrough 7. Potter 8. Ja. Robinson 9. N. Williams

Freshman (35): 1. Adams-Reed 2. Agbaw 3. Anokwuru 4. Arnold 5. Berryhill 6. Borcila 7. Brown 8. Bryant 9. Cabeldue 10. Caldwell 11. Daniels 12. Dotson 13. Golightly 14. Grimm 15. Huggins 16. M. Harris 17. Hishaw 18. M. Johnson 19. G. Jones 20. Kardell 21. J. Lewis 22. Locklin 23. Martinez 24. D. Mayberry 25. McBride 26. Medley 27. Parker 28. Pearson 29. Pesek-Hickson 30. Person 31. Prunty 32. Je. Robinson 33. Satterwhite 34. Taylor 35. Terry

Now most likely not all of the 35 Freshman will be on the team next year. It would take a good three more years of solid recruiting to get to the 85 scholarships allowed.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Good article by Newell. Talks about kids who committed to KU who then had scholarships pulled because of too many commitments. Tough for programs who are trying to come up. They offer scholarships to EVERYBODY and they have the limit they have to adhere too. One of the reasons why Long spoke with NCAA to expand limits and do 50 scholarships over 2 year period compared to 25 per year.

https://www.kansas.com/sports/college/b ... 65363.html

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

KU got a local kid from LHS. Top 50 rb recruit. Will play baseball too.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Yeah big pickup for them. Some good schools after him. Important that they got local after the misses from a BUNCH of the Free State kids.

vmlb

Post by vmlb »

Baseball or football scholly? How does that work?
UnholyLivingDead

Post by UnholyLivingDead »

vmlb wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:03 pm Baseball or football scholly? How does that work?
I would guess football scholarship. You can award 85 in football and only 11.7 in baseball so I'd guess they would work it out so he doesn't draw from the shallower baseball pool. But that's purely speculation on my part.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

In law school I took a class on compliance and NCAA bylaws taught by some of the top people in the industry. Back then, the rule was that whichever sport has the lower scholarship pool, the dual athlete counts towards that pool.

The exception, as it is in so many cases, is football. You have a 5 sport dude? It counts towards football. Otherwise you'd have Saban loading the track and field team with his recruits.
vmlb

Post by vmlb »

I've heard it would be football, which sucks since we could use more schollies.

On a side note; this crap handling of the Beatty situation is really getting old. If Miles doesn't turn this around, I would be all for the firing of Long.
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:09 pm In law school I took a class on compliance and NCAA bylaws taught by some of the top people in the industry. Back then, the rule was that whichever sport has the lower scholarship pool, the dual athlete counts towards that pool.

The exception, as it is in so many cases, is football. You have a 5 sport dude? It counts towards football. Otherwise you'd have Saban loading the track and field team with his recruits.
This correct if play football the scholarship is football. The only way to get around that is if you play the other sport the first year and dont play football. But it is primarily students that play football and then play another sport
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

vmlb wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:06 pm I've heard it would be football, which sucks since we could use more schollies.

On a side note; this crap handling of the Beatty situation is really getting old. If Miles doesn't turn this around, I would be all for the firing of Long.
It is a mud slingin' affair that I'm not sure who is going to emerge victorious. At this rate I would be happy if both settle out of court and we never have to hear about him ever again. Time to move on.
Holidaysmore - 2005
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I'd have to think that not paying Beaty the full buyout has in some way to do with tiptoeing around with the NCAA right now. Pay him the full buyout right away and maybe it looks like that KU knew about the minor football violations all along.

Only other explanation is a couple of big money donors being super pissed and not wanting to pony up. Otherwise, it makes little sense for KU to just foot the bill and be done with it.
hartjack8
Contributor

Post by hartjack8 »

This is 100 percent trying to avoid the NCAA hammer and has nothing to do with paying Beaty, Trying to look good.....trying to not look complicit.

It's a lot less than we paid other terrible coaches to go away.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Speaking of the Star is trying to end KU football as well. Doesn’t paint Long in the best of light. Pretty interesting stuff.

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/colle ... 44341.html
Holidaysmore - 2005
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I'm no fan of Jeff Long's, but I'll say this:

These depositions would have had a lot in them. Most of it would not grab a headline.

There are a LOT of sour grapes between Matt Baty and KU/KU's donors.

I also don't know that testimony that suggests Long came in with a mission to replace Beaty does much for Beaty's case. Anytime you replace an AD, guys are on the hot seat. Beaty also lost of ton of games.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

And really the most damning thing to me would be that Matt Baty admitted that he was a, 'close, personal' friend of Beaty so of course he is going to try and think of any and everything he could to slight KU and help out his friend. Any KU fan with half a brain knew that as soon as Long was hired the time clock on Beaty getting canned started. It was a matter of when and not if.

From a PR stand point it isn't the greatest look for Long but all of KU Athletics has a black cloud hanging over it.
Holidaysmore - 2005