COVID-19 - On the Ground

Coffee talk.
PhDhawk

Re: COVID-19 - On the Ground

Post by PhDhawk »

Well, I'm not a member of a globo-gym. As far as I know, there's just the owner and one employee. And I'm not sure how much she gets paid from the gym and how much she gets for personal training and the classes she teaches. Being that small of a business, I'm going to assume they worked something out.

And I don't mind paying a reduced membership during this.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

I am not defending them and obviously I'm no expert on the subject but my guess is gyms/health clubs probably figure they are most likely dead in the future if they don't charge you now. They still have major expenses. I have no idea what the contracts with their members say but this is something that is probably not directly covered in the contract.
They may feel it's the credit card companies/banks that are ultimately the ones keeping them afloat and that their customers are not taking the direct hit.
Of course I'm just offering my 2 cents - which are probably not worth jack squat.
My hope is they will work it all out with you back when business is back to "usual".
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

At least here in KC, these globe-gyms are franchises. They're hurtin'.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

I hope they are closed.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Quinton shut them all down in KCMO. Don't know about JoCo.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

so, one of our dogs busted a toenail playing frisbee last night and i just dropped her off at the vet

called them this morning and was compelled to tell them that i have a co-worker that has tested positive. the girl on the phone paused, and then had to check with with her boss. for a minute i thought we might get turned away, but thankfully not
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 12:35 pm Guys, you're not just buying a gym, you're buying a lifestyle.
THIS is why, after you have your shoulder rebuilt, you kick your kids out of their playroom and put a gym in it.

O'course, we're still paying the $150/month at our martial arts gym, but they're a mom-and-pop shop, and if everybody freezes their membership, they'll have to shut down.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

TraditionKU wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:13 pm so, one of our dogs busted a toenail playing frisbee last night and i just dropped her off at the vet

called them this morning and was compelled to tell them that i have a co-worker that has tested positive. the girl on the phone paused, and then had to check with with her boss. for a minute i thought we might get turned away, but thankfully not
Have I told the story about my friend?

Wife is eight months pregnant. He had been travelling for work at a MASS gathering, including many foreign travelers. Got home, got sick, got tested. But since he has a large, national HMO with a reputation for poor customer service, his results took almost two weeks.

Her OB would NOT see her during that two weeks.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Deleted User 307

Post by Deleted User 307 »

Kentucky, what is wrong with you

Ankle monitors ordered for Kentucky residents refusing quarantine after coronavirus exposure

https://thehill.com/changing-america/we ... IGXyWySzqY
Deleted User 307

New York Perspective. Haven't moved my car in 2.5 weeks, so I needed to drive it around a bit. Drove the West Side Highway with no traffic at all. Probably no car within 500 feet of me, when usually it's Mad Max out there. It was a beautiful day and nice to be able to take in the scenery. First time I was near midtown in close to a month. Kinda forgot where I lived, and of course, the skyline is always inspirational. Was a nice to take in.

Went to the grocery to load up on perishables and some food for my Easter next week (Turkey Breast main, as my wife and I don't like ham). Had to queue up outside, as they weren't letting people in often. I luckily got there at the right time, as I was only fourth or so when I arrived. When I left, there were at least 50 people in line. It was the first time I left the house I think in a week. Since then, the CDC and either Cuomo and/or De Blasio recommended mask-like coverings for face. I have nothing like this, except winter scarfs. Decided to go out without, and I would say about 90% took in the recommendation. But I felt like putz not having something. Looked on Amazon, and either I'm getting charge 50x more, or I'm not seeing it until June. Need to figure out that. It's just so somber out there. No one speaks. It's hand motions only, like we forgot we can speak. No one looks happy. No one even looks sad. Just dejected.

Finally just got back from a run. Was in the park, and still lots of folks exercising. But thankfully, no group more than 2, other than one group of four Dominican men. However, even they seem to be about 4-5 feet apart, and wearing masks.

I think the next two weeks will be tough.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Vega wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:14 pm New York Perspective. Haven't moved my car in 2.5 weeks, so I needed to drive it around a bit. Drove the West Side Highway with no traffic at all. Probably no car within 500 feet of me, when usually it's Mad Max out there. It was a beautiful day and nice to be able to take in the scenery. First time I was near midtown in close to a month. Kinda forgot where I lived, and of course, the skyline is always inspirational. Was a nice to take in.

Went to the grocery to load up on perishables and some food for my Easter next week (Turkey Breast main, as my wife and I don't like ham). Had to queue up outside, as they weren't letting people in often. I luckily got there at the right time, as I was only fourth or so when I arrived. When I left, there were at least 50 people in line. It was the first time I left the house I think in a week. Since then, the CDC and either Cuomo and/or De Blasio recommended mask-like coverings for face. I have nothing like this, except winter scarfs. Decided to go out without, and I would say about 90% took in the recommendation. But I felt like putz not having something. Looked on Amazon, and either I'm getting charge 50x more, or I'm not seeing it until June. Need to figure out that. It's just so somber out there. No one speaks. It's hand motions only, like we forgot we can speak. No one looks happy. No one even looks sad. Just dejected.

Finally just got back from a run. Was in the park, and still lots of folks exercising. But thankfully, no group more than 2, other than one group of four Dominican men. However, even they seem to be about 4-5 feet apart, and wearing masks.

Wow!! I can't believe you have a car!
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

You have nothing you can use as a facemask? Towel? Sock? Thong?
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 307

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:32 pm
Vega wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:14 pm New York Perspective. Haven't moved my car in 2.5 weeks, so I needed to drive it around a bit. Drove the West Side Highway with no traffic at all. Probably no car within 500 feet of me, when usually it's Mad Max out there. It was a beautiful day and nice to be able to take in the scenery. First time I was near midtown in close to a month. Kinda forgot where I lived, and of course, the skyline is always inspirational. Was a nice to take in.

Wow!! I can't believe you have a car!
Gotta get to my Vermont cabin
Deleted User 307

If there is a more sympathetic person, I don’t want to hear it

11 Days After Fuming About a Coughing Passenger, a Bus Driver Died From the Coronavirus

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/04/us/d ... virus.html

Jason Hargrove was furious.

A woman on his bus had just coughed four or five times, unguarded. He went on Facebook and vented his anger, cursing at times. In a video posted on March 21, he railed against the disrespect that he said passengers like her had shown workers like him who were trying to make Detroit run in the midst of a pandemic.

“We’re out here as public workers, doing our job, trying to make an honest living to take care of our families,” he said. “But for you to get on the bus, and stand on the bus, and cough several times without covering up your mouth, and you know that we’re in the middle of a pandemic, that lets me know that some folks don’t care.”

On Wednesday, a week and a half after recording the video outside his bus, Mr. Hargrove, a 50-year-old, married father of six, died from complications of Covid-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus, according to his union and city officials.
Deleted User 289

Vega wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:51 pm If there is a more sympathetic person, I don’t want to hear it

11 Days After Fuming About a Coughing Passenger, a Bus Driver Died From the Coronavirus

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/04/us/d ... virus.html

Jason Hargrove was furious.

A woman on his bus had just coughed four or five times, unguarded. He went on Facebook and vented his anger, cursing at times. In a video posted on March 21, he railed against the disrespect that he said passengers like her had shown workers like him who were trying to make Detroit run in the midst of a pandemic.

“We’re out here as public workers, doing our job, trying to make an honest living to take care of our families,” he said. “But for you to get on the bus, and stand on the bus, and cough several times without covering up your mouth, and you know that we’re in the middle of a pandemic, that lets me know that some folks don’t care.”

On Wednesday, a week and a half after recording the video outside his bus, Mr. Hargrove, a 50-year-old, married father of six, died from complications of Covid-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus, according to his union and city officials.
I heard he passed away yesterday and was very sad and angry to hear it.
We have 8,000 sad stories and counting.

I have a friend who posted about the UT kids who came back from Mexico. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/01/us/c ... hS7bjTJZsQ

One of her friends responded, "Prayers for those kids".
I respectfully responded, "Did you read the story? My hope is you would say prayers for those they have infected too".

Had another friend who posted pics of her and her boyfriend going to get a Polish Sausage.

This is one of the pics she posted -

I asked her if she had any clue what's ignorant in the photograph - and then said fuck it and deleted my comment.

People just don't fucking get it - and I promise it's really not that hard to get.
defixione
Contributor

Post by defixione »

Vega wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:14 pm
. . . Since then, the CDC and either Cuomo and/or De Blasio recommended mask-like coverings for face. I have nothing like this, except winter scarfs. Decided to go out without, and I would say about 90% took in the recommendation. But I felt like putz not having something. Looked on Amazon, and either I'm getting charge 50x more, or I'm not seeing it until June. Need to figure out that.
They're easy to make if you have a sewing machine. My wife made a whole bunch of them in just a couple of hours and she rarely sews.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90485684/th ... 7lMcoT42nc
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Deleted User 307

defixione wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:18 pm
Vega wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:14 pm
. . . Since then, the CDC and either Cuomo and/or De Blasio recommended mask-like coverings for face. I have nothing like this, except winter scarfs. Decided to go out without, and I would say about 90% took in the recommendation. But I felt like putz not having something. Looked on Amazon, and either I'm getting charge 50x more, or I'm not seeing it until June. Need to figure out that.
They're easy to make if you have a sewing machine. My wife made a whole bunch of them in just a couple of hours and she rarely sews.

https://www.fastcompany.com/90485684/th ... 7lMcoT42nc
I don’t have fabric. I guess I could rip apart some clothes, but I don’t really have anything I can think of.
Deleted User 289

Desperate people do desperate things. If you have an undershirt or t-shirt you can cut it up and use it. Cut up a pillow case or a towel. Plenty of things you can use to create a primitive mask. If it's important enough to you - you'll find a way to make a mask. Sure you might look like a fucking idiot but no one will be laughing if you or they die because you or they didn't wear a face covering.

Deleted User 289

LOL!
From the guy who said before and hadn't changed his tune up until this week - “They are NOT effective in preventing general public from catching coronavirus".
Fuck him too.

ALLEGEDLY he tweeted/instagrammed this and deleted it. I'll actually give him the benefit of (the) doubt but if he did actually tweet/instgram it - Like I said, fuck him too.