Silver linings of shutdown

Coffee talk.
zsn
Contributor

Re: Silver linings of shutdown

Post by zsn »

Grandma wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:15 am And WE now have TIME, finally,
to STOP and SMELL the ROSES.
We have a lot of rose bushes in our front yard and the last couple of weeks have been the peak of the first bloom here in Northern California. Literally every other person/family walking by our house (and there are a lot, as we live on one of the main streets feeding into the neighborhood) stops and smells our roses. For the most part there is no need to stop as the roses are extremely fragrant; people nevertheless do and they always wave to us and let us know how much they appreciate the beauty and the fragrance. I don't think I have had this many people stop by in the nearly 23 years that we have lived in our home. Of course, there are also a significantly larger number of people walking in our neighborhood.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

The night sky really is something right now. And not having 90 minutes of my day wrapped up in commuting has been great for my sleep.
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

Grandma wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:15 am Someone I know posted this. I don't feel everything listed is great but I get how some people feel all of it is.

No school shootings,
TRAFFIC is gone,
GAS is affordable,
BILLS extended.
KIDS are at home with their FAMILIES.
PARENTS are home taking care of their CHILDREN.
COMMUNITIES are coming together
FAST FOOD replaced by HOME COOKED MEALS.
Hectic SCHEDULES replaced by NAPS, REST, and RELAXATION.
The AIR seems CLEANER.
The WORLD quieter.
PEOPLE are conscious about HYGIENE and HEALTH.
PEOPLE are growing their own food
MONEY doesn't seem to make the WORLD GO ROUND anymore.
DOCTORS AND NURSES are being praised and recognized instead of athletes and celebrities
And WE now have TIME, finally,
I'm with you on most of these, Gutman. Just filled up for $1.85 in West Humboldt. Traffic is so light and the city really seems beautiful. But the driving asshole factor is red-lining right now.

And what the fuck is up with all the people walking in the streets? I just don't get it.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

I think they walk in the streets to social distance from those walking on the sidewalks.

And I'm one of those asshole drivers now.
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

Mjl wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:53 pm I think they walk in the streets to social distance from those walking on the sidewalks.

I'm talking about people who were most likely serious ass hole drivers, who now take it to the "n-th" degree. Hard to believe the racing around, switching lanes, tailgating shit that's going on. I suppose they feel as if the roads are lawless right now. Which they kind of are.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"Hectic SCHEDULES replaced by NAPS, REST, and RELAXATION"

I thought this would be the case but its been busier than ever.

Anyone else's work schedule increased?
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

chiknbut wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:32 pm
Mjl wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 4:53 pm I think they walk in the streets to social distance from those walking on the sidewalks.

I'm talking about people who were most likely serious ass hole drivers, who now take it to the "n-th" degree. Hard to believe the racing around, switching lanes, tailgating shit that's going on. I suppose they feel as if the roads are lawless right now. Which they kind of are.
Yeah, so, I have a pretty fun car to drive, but there's always traffic, which renders the fun fairly useless. Now is the only time in the Chicago area where I can drive like this, so that one day a week that I drive, I'm in sport mode punching it. Not tailgating though, that's being a real asshole.

It's projecting, but I'm guessing that's what is going on with other assholes.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

zsn wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:21 am
Grandma wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:15 am And WE now have TIME, finally,
We have a lot of rose bushes in our front yard and the last couple of weeks have been the peak of the first bloom here in Northern California. Literally every other person/family walking by our house (and there are a lot, as we live on one of the main streets feeding into the neighborhood) stops and smells our roses. For the most part there is no need to stop as the roses are extremely fragrant; people nevertheless do and they always wave to us and let us know how much they appreciate the beauty and the fragrance. I don't think I have had this many people stop by in the nearly 23 years that we have lived in our home. Of course, there are also a significantly larger number of people walking in our neighborhood.
Not sure how to respond other than to say this part made me feel really good - "they always wave to us and let us know how much they appreciate the beauty and the fragrance".

There is a guy who works at our building's security/reception desk. He's extremely friendly, kind, and looks out for me when I have a package, delivery, guest, whatever. Always a good attitude, a hello, good morning, good afternoon, good evening, and with a smile on his face.
I give him a few dollars when I see him and tell him to get himself a snack, drink, whatever, and then give him a little cash around Christmas time.
EVERY time he genuinely expresses gratitude and says something that has a lot of meaning to me. Not "thank you" - which he says. It's, "I appreciate you". Not "it", "you". I tell him I appreciate him too.
Deleted User 289

Chikn, Mjl, pdub -

No school shootings,
TRAFFIC is gone,
GAS is affordable,
BILLS extended.
KIDS are at home with their FAMILIES.
PARENTS are home taking care of their CHILDREN.
COMMUNITIES are coming together
FAST FOOD replaced by HOME COOKED MEALS.
Hectic SCHEDULES replaced by NAPS, REST, and RELAXATION.
The AIR seems CLEANER.
The WORLD quieter.
PEOPLE are conscious about HYGIENE and HEALTH.
PEOPLE are growing their own food
MONEY doesn't seem to make the WORLD GO ROUND anymore.
DOCTORS AND NURSES are being praised and recognized instead of athletes and celebrities
And WE now have TIME, finally,

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

If I chose to look at the BIG picture and wanted to turn positives in to negatives this would be my response.

No school shootings - That is truly FANTASTIC! Unfortunately, I'm convinced there have been kids who have witnessed some really shitty stuff at home that they would not have witnessed if they were in school. Nothing as bad as getting shot at school but somethings that may scar them for life - such as domestic violence, alcoholism/drug addiction, other SHIT no child should have to endure.

TRAFFIC is gone - Never really affected me but traffic would be welcome right now for a lot of people.

GAS is affordable - Nice for consumers who need to fix up their tank/s. Not so great for the "economy".

BILLS extended - Nice for those who are having trouble paying their bills. Not so nice for the companies who are affected by this.

KIDS are at home with their FAMILIES - QUALITY family time is extremely important but there can be negative affects.

PARENTS are home taking care of their CHILDREN - Again, good thing until it's a bad thing. I assume the majority of parents at home are taking care of their kids but how many kids are actually being neglected?
My guess is for a lot of people it would be better if parents were NOT at home taking care of their kids and were at work earning a paycheck.

COMMUNITIES are coming together - Really? I guess they are in some capacity but to me communities are being neglected. I enjoy going to concerts, sporting events, festivals, sitting in restaurants, being social (at times) and that's not happening right now.

FAST FOOD replaced by HOME COOKED MEALS - Probably better for your health but not too good for fast food workers who are losing their jobs. I appreciate that I can grab some "fast food" if/when I desire.

Hectic SCHEDULES replaced by NAPS, REST, and RELAXATION - Naps, rest, relaxation = good. For me and others, TYPICAL/USUAL "hectic schedules" also = good.

The AIR seems CLEANER - No negatives to that except - it means we have less people working.

The WORLD quieter - I like quiet over noise but noise = the "norm" and people not just working but enjoying themselves socially.

PEOPLE are conscious about HYGIENE and HEALTH - I would hope people would always be conscious about hygiene and health. My guess is some people aren't showering, shaving, brushing their teeth, seeing doctors for normal/routine reasons, etc. as often as they usually do.

PEOPLE are growing their own food - I see nothing negative about that other than those in the "grocery/produce" business being negatively impacted.

MONEY doesn't seem to make the WORLD GO ROUND anymore - False. Money will always make the world go round. Tell people who have lost their jobs and can't pay their bills and necessary expenses that money doesn't make the world go around anymore.

DOCTORS AND NURSES are being praised and recognized instead of athletes and celebrities - This is a good thing expect I take objection to the word "instead". Athletes and celebrities bring a lot of joy and entertainment to people. I feel they deserve praise and recognition too.

And WE now have TIME, finally, to STOP and SMELL the ROSES - Hopefully we all learn that valuable lesson and will appreciate the "roses" going forward.
KU76erfan

Post by KU76erfan »

Apartment is immaculate.
Finally learned how to do great espresso pulls with the Flair (woooooOooo!!!!)
Getting enough practicing in that am finally starting to put together a solo recital program.
I get the whole sidewalk to myself when walking around town.
Extra time to continue indulging the horology, sword, and shoe obsession.
Much less pollution, especially this time of year.
Last edited by KU76erfan on Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Having T-Shirt tmcats as a KSU fan has to be embarrassing for some. He should just stay on the tiggerboard where the little weasel best fits in."
Deleted User 289

Beautiful that you can turn a negative in to a positive - see the results - and appreciate them.
I sincerely mean that!
I tried to make a point of doing that on Sunday and it worked wonders for me.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"sword...obsession."

Go on....
KU76erfan

Post by KU76erfan »

Must be the japanese genes, I have an unhealthy fascination with sharp objects in general. Have a couple Albions--the jewel of the collection is the Munich model, a beautiful longsword inspired by an example housed in the Bayerisches National museum in Munich with an Oakeshott Type XVIIIb blade and a gorgeous S-curve crossguard. Cuts beautifully, and is extremely elegant despite its size (could even be wielded one handed, it's so well balanced.)
"Having T-Shirt tmcats as a KSU fan has to be embarrassing for some. He should just stay on the tiggerboard where the little weasel best fits in."
KU76erfan

Post by KU76erfan »

Grandma wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:47 am Beautiful that you can turn a negative in to a positive - see the results - and appreciate them.
I sincerely mean that!
I tried to make a point of doing that on Sunday and it worked wonders for me.
Every little bit helps, man. I find myself oscillating between depression and elation, it's very strange.
shindig

Post by shindig »

My work load has significantly slowed down, so I'm struggling just to "pretend" work during the day. We've had a couple projects delayed due to the quarantine since we need a couple contractors to come in and help us get the project started.

And I can usually sneak in a nap in the afternoon or go outside and mow/water the yard and not have to feel like I have to do everything in the evening like normal. It's supposed to storm later today, so I am going to grab my ladder and check my gutters (stupid maple helicopters are landing all over).
chiknbut

Post by chiknbut »

KU76erfan wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:07 am Must be the japanese genes, I have an unhealthy fascination with sharp objects in general. Have a couple Albions--the jewel of the collection is the Munich model, a beautiful longsword inspired by an example housed in the Bayerisches National museum in Munich with an Oakeshott Type XVIIIb blade and a gorgeous S-curve crossguard. Cuts beautifully, and is extremely elegant despite its size (could even be wielded one handed, it's so well balanced.)
You should take this to the part of the bored where there's discussion about how difficult it is to find .22 shells. This should shut them up.
KU76erfan

Post by KU76erfan »

chiknbut wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:02 am
KU76erfan wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:07 am Must be the japanese genes, I have an unhealthy fascination with sharp objects in general. Have a couple Albions--the jewel of the collection is the Munich model, a beautiful longsword inspired by an example housed in the Bayerisches National museum in Munich with an Oakeshott Type XVIIIb blade and a gorgeous S-curve crossguard. Cuts beautifully, and is extremely elegant despite its size (could even be wielded one handed, it's so well balanced.)
You should take this to the part of the bored where there's discussion about how difficult it is to find .22 shells. This should shut them up.
Hey, I'm all set if I ever get attacked by a tree....or a knight.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

that’s awesome

as a grad student doing fieldwork in the Philippines, i took to collecting bolos (basically, a Filipino machete). they are very much regionally unique, such that different islands, or even different locales/communities on a given island, would create their own designs...blade shape and length, scabbard design and carving, and even handle style.

one of the best parts is that they are all legit. they aren’t made for tourists, but for the everyday use in forests and agricultural activities. i have one that goes with me camping in lieu of a standard hatchet, and it is so much more versatile
KU76erfan

Post by KU76erfan »

Oh bolos are fantastic! I'd love to get a German or Italian version like a Kriegsmesser or Falchion (Falcata); they make for amazingly great cutters.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

WAR KNIFE.