Silver linings of shutdown

Coffee talk.
ousdahl

Re: Silver linings of shutdown

Post by ousdahl »

I'm intrigued.

Is there much practical application for these sorts of blades, besides machete-type work?

cuz that would be so rad for beaver to walk in and be like, bro what are you doing?

ohh you know, just making some guac. *cuts avocados with a sword*
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I always found it interesting that a spoon, Loeffell, was masculine and a Gabel was feminine.
I'd gone the opposite.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

My roommate in college had a massive Claymore mounted on his bedroom wall.
We threw a party to kick off our junior year and it was stolen.
KU76erfan

Post by KU76erfan »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:06 pm I'm intrigued.

Is there much practical application for these sorts of blades, besides machete-type work?

cuz that would be so rad for beaver to walk in and be like, bro what are you doing?

Hah! They're a bit too unwieldy for kitchen use, obviously. But it's certainly fun and good stress release to find a place in the woods and do some test cutting on water bottles, milk cartons, etc.
"Having T-Shirt tmcats as a KSU fan has to be embarrassing for some. He should just stay on the tiggerboard where the little weasel best fits in."
KU76erfan

Post by KU76erfan »

pdub wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:09 pm My roommate in college had a massive Claymore mounted on his bedroom wall.
We threw a party to kick off our junior year and it was stolen.
https://tenor.com/JSiC.gif
"Having T-Shirt tmcats as a KSU fan has to be embarrassing for some. He should just stay on the tiggerboard where the little weasel best fits in."
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

more than anything, now I wanna watch Kill Bill.
KU76erfan

Post by KU76erfan »

The old Highlander TV series had a nice array of different swords during its run, including one memorable episode with Mike Ehrmentraut.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

Filipinos use them for everything from kitchen work to cutting the grass (no kidding)

we have one from a community in the northwestern part of Luzon that has a hollow handle and doubles as a spear tip for hunting wild boar
KU76erfan

Post by KU76erfan »

Whoa, that is nifty!
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

This is my only knife of any note.

It's a Gurkha Khukri, made in Nepal. A patient of mine gave it to me in appreciation for...not dying. He had been admitted to the ICU in a coma in critical condition with a stroke, spent almost 6 months in the hospital, had almost everything possible go wrong with him, had his last rights read to him, was made a do not resuscitate a one point, but somehow, made it...probably despite my "care". His brother was in the American foreign service in Afghanistan and Pakistan, and had picked it up and given it to my patient along the way. And he gave it to me.

The next time I'm on Naked and Afraid, I'll probably take it.

A Kukri with the traditional Karda (middle) and Chakmak (bottom). The Karda and Chakmak are used as a utility knife and a sharpening tool, respectively
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Deleted User 89

the "next" time?
KU76erfan

Post by KU76erfan »

Feral wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:29 pm This is my only knife of any note.

It's a Gurkha Khukri, made in Nepal. A patient of mine gave it to me in appreciation for...not dying. He had been admitted to the ICU in a coma in critical condition with a stroke, spent almost 6 months in the hospital, had almost everything possible go wrong with him, had his last rights read to him, was made a do not resuscitate a one point, but somehow, made it...probably despite my "care". His brother was in the American foreign service in Afghanistan and Pakistan, and had picked it up and given it to my patient along the way. And he gave it to me.

The next time I'm on Naked and Afraid, I'll probably take it.

A Kukri with the traditional Karda (middle) and Chakmak (bottom). The Karda and Chakmak are used as a utility knife and a sharpening tool, respectively
Khukri's are so damn cool, have you seen a Khopesh?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

I'd never heard of them until you asked. Looks pretty cool, a bronze sickle sword!
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Dothraki use basically Khopesh's.
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:50 pm

Filipinos use them for everything from kitchen work to cutting the grass (no kidding)

we have one from a community in the northwestern part of Luzon that has a hollow handle and doubles as a spear tip for hunting wild boar
Koreans and Israelis win in hand-to-hand combat styles, but Filipinos have the BEST weapons styles. Knife and stick Kali are brutal.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
Deleted User 89

the Tabaco area on Luzon is renown for their bolo quality...plus, it’s situated in the midst of a handful of volcanos. i was fortunate to do some work there just a few years ago, and was compelled to purchase a few bolos as gifts
KU76erfan

Post by KU76erfan »

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 5:29 pm the Tabaco area on Luzon is renown for their bolo quality...plus, it’s situated in the midst of a handful of volcanos. i was fortunate to do some work there just a few years ago, and was compelled to purchase a few bolos as gifts
Would've picked up some escrima sticks, as well!
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

This is a fun discussion.

My grandpa fought in WW2, and had this bayonet he supposedly made entirely out of salvaged Japanese airplane parts on Midway island.
Deleted User 89

that just made me wonder whatever happened to my grandpa’s