COVID-19 - On the Ground

Coffee talk.
zsn
Contributor

Re: COVID-19 - On the Ground

Post by zsn »

HouseDivided wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:31 pm
sdoyel wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:14 pm Local Dallas restaurants react to Gov. Abbott’s decision to open Texas by Phase in May 1:

https://www.dallasnews.com/food/restaur ... -pandemic/
Sounds like the primary objection is that it isn't profitable to open at 25% capacity, not that it is unsafe. My guess is that their tune will change when they have people lined up for hours to sit in that 25% seating capacity.
You mean like how tax cuts pay for themselves, and create growth and surplus as far as the eye can see?
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

zsn wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:45 pm
sdoyel wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:14 pm Local Dallas restaurants react to Gov. Abbott’s decision to open Texas by Phase in May 1:

https://www.dallasnews.com/food/restaur ... -pandemic/
Sounds like the primary objection is that it isn't profitable to open at 25% capacity, not that it is unsafe. My guess is that their tune will change when they have people lined up for hours to sit in that 25% seating capacity.
You mean like how tax cuts pay for themselves, and create growth and surplus as far as the eye can see?
I have no idea how those are equivalent to my statement.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Message from my cousin tonight - "The owner of my boxing gym died from Coronavirus. Such a special, smelly place, I cannot wait to go back to. I hate this fucking virus".

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/27/nyre ... YZOYZ7lI6E
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

Feral wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:51 pm
HouseDivided wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 4:23 pm
Feral wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 3:05 pm

In the blink of an eye, it will have killed more Americans, 58,220, than died in the Vietnam War in 20 years, from 1955 to 1975.

Very sad.
No tears for the ~55,000 Americans who die of the regular flu every year, though? I'm guessing the number of suicides in the U.S. this year will be well above the normal 47,000 as well.
According to the CDC, from 2010 - 2019, the average number of deaths due to influenza was ~ 42,500/year. Also, that's per year.

Using the revised, (to almost 3 weeks earlier than thought before), date of February 6th as the first day a person in the US died of COVID-19, we've already had > 58,000 deaths in less than 90 days, ¼ of the time.

See any difference?
Psych is trying politely to tell you, Feral, that you should be willing to sacrifice your life so that he can keep his podunk Bible college job. His doctor explains that Boomers should be like the Greatest Generation and be willing to give up their lives so Psych's 3rd tier college will stay in business.
Don't inject Lysol.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

HouseDivided wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:28 pm

Have you ever heard the expression "What are you drinking, and where can I get a case of it" ?
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

zsn wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:33 pm
HouseDivided wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:28 pm

Have you ever heard the expression "What are you drinking, and where can I get a case of it" ?
So, people are stupid and irrational for preferring to make a living over losing their business and living in poverty? The more appropriate question might be “What planet are you from?”
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Riches to poverty in 2 months, 2020 in the world of right wing hyperbole.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Our governor just laid out a plan to reopening that seems reasonable enough and is laid out informatively.

https://www.maine.gov/covid19/restartingmaine

June: Restaurants, Campgrounds
YESSSSS.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

Most of the country should not wait for governor Cuomo to tell us its safe to come outside our house. Most of the country does not share his problems. It’s not a one size fits all.
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

Many restaurants are screwed no matter what/when we open them back up. Less people will go, and many can't operate profitably at 50% or even 75% capacity. It's already a low margin industry.

I kind of feel the same way about golf courses right now....many make their profits from weddings/receptions/baby shower type events in their reception hall type spaces...and large corporate outings (play into that space as well)...with large gatherings unlikely for the forseable future....IL for instance allowing about 120 golfers per day per course (2somes only, walking only, tee times spaced 15min = 8 golfers per hour) doesn't do much to help the courses....it costs a lot of maintain a golf course, that's the big expense, and that doesn't change just because there are less golfers.... and now at many places we can't even buy the overpriced beer/liquor and food. Or the cart fee income.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

You’re right. The folks are going to be skiddish for a while. Rightfully so. But the longer we wait to break the seal, the longer we wait for the folks to start feeling somewhat safe again.

We cannot keep pushing it back.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

The notion that the folks are going to rush right back to normalcy the minute we get the all clear to open back up is wrong wrong wrong. It’s going to take some time.

The longer we wait, the longer we wait. We gotta start dipping our toe in.
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

I don't totally disagree with that. Most people don't need the government to tell them what's safe to do....and the ones that are careless are going to be careless regardless of what the government says.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

A not-unwise school of thought would be to give Georgia's move three weeks, then assess.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

ask tennessee how it’s going
KU76erfan

Post by KU76erfan »

MICHHAWK wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:10 am The notion that the folks are going to rush right back to normalcy the minute we get the all clear to open back up is wrong wrong wrong. It’s going to take some time.

The longer we wait, the longer we wait. We gotta start dipping our toe in.
True, I think. The timetable here in Utah is very slowly opening up starting this Friday, and some sense of normalcy by October. We shall see.
"Having T-Shirt tmcats as a KSU fan has to be embarrassing for some. He should just stay on the tiggerboard where the little weasel best fits in."
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:22 am A not-unwise school of thought would be to give Georgia's move three weeks, then assess.
(Un)fortunately this is an uncontrolled experiment. I have family in the Atlanta area and they are not venturing out unless absolutely necessary and so are most of their friends and acquaintances. This means that regardless of the Gov’s wishes most are staying home. This allows Kemp to declare victory for any success which happen in spite of him, not because of him
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

zsn wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:13 am
jfish26 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:22 am A not-unwise school of thought would be to give Georgia's move three weeks, then assess.
(Un)fortunately this is an uncontrolled experiment. I have family in the Atlanta area and they are not venturing out unless absolutely necessary and so are most of their friends and acquaintances. This means that regardless of the Gov’s wishes most are staying home. This allows Kemp to declare victory for any success which happen in spite of him, not because of him
(While lining up to kick a bunch of people off unemployment.)
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Geezer wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:10 pm Riches to poverty in 2 months, 2020 in the world of right wing hyperbole.
For those of us in higher ed, two more months is about all it will take to lose our jobs, and for some, for the institution to close altogether. Small colleges are already closing across the country, and, if Fall semester ends up online, which is a net revenue loss for most schools, mine will likely do so as well.

It's not hyperbole for a 50 year-old to think that it will be extremely difficult to find another job in academia in a market that will be flooded with new grads and non-tenured unemployed faculty willing to work for peanuts. Maybe that amuses you, but I find it decidedly un-funny.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

HouseDivided wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:34 am
Geezer wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:10 pm Riches to poverty in 2 months, 2020 in the world of right wing hyperbole.
For those of us in higher ed, two more months is about all it will take to lose our jobs, and for some, for the institution to close altogether. Small colleges are already closing across the country, and, if Fall semester ends up online, which is a net revenue loss for most schools, mine will likely do so as well.

It's not hyperbole for a 50 year-old to think that it will be extremely difficult to find another job in academia in a market that will be flooded with new grads and non-tenured unemployed faculty willing to work for peanuts. Maybe that amuses you, but I find it decidedly un-funny.
Fair.