Silver linings of shutdown

Coffee talk.
Sparko
Contributor

Re: Silver linings of shutdown

Post by Sparko »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:41 pm This is a fun discussion.

My grandpa fought in WW2, and had this bayonet he supposedly made entirely out of salvaged Japanese airplane parts on Midway island.
There was a Zero that flew inverted at low altitude down the flightline as a big F%&* You! to the defenders. And was promptly shot down. That Zero was scavenged mercilessly for scrap metal. Karma.
Last edited by Sparko on Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Good story.

Ghost rider should have known the pattern was full.
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

KU76erfan wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:48 pm The old Highlander TV series had a nice array of different swords during its run, including one memorable episode with Mike Ehrmentraut.
My dad brought back a Japanese sword from WWII and a bayonet, which he kept for a long time. Then, someone from a group in Japan was buying up those weapons and he said it was part of their national history and sold it it back. The sword was something like a WWII Japanese NCO sword.

https://www.ecrater.com/p/35517347/ww2- ... k4QAvD_BwE
Don't inject Lysol.
KU76erfan

Post by KU76erfan »

Yeah, that looks like an officer's sword. My grandfather unfortunately had to sell our family sword which was in the clan for generations in order to buy rice during WWII.
"Having T-Shirt tmcats as a KSU fan has to be embarrassing for some. He should just stay on the tiggerboard where the little weasel best fits in."
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

KU76erfan wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:08 pm Yeah, that looks like an officer's sword. My grandfather unfortunately had to sell our family sword which was in the clan for generations in order to buy rice during WWII.
Now there's a story!
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

KU76erfan wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:08 pm Yeah, that looks like an officer's sword. My grandfather unfortunately had to sell our family sword which was in the clan for generations in order to buy rice during WWII.
My dad had been on a dredge that went to the Philippines and then went to Japan to set up hospitals. I still have a painted silk kimono that he brought home.
Don't inject Lysol.
KU76erfan

Post by KU76erfan »

Wow, I bet that's a gorgeous kimono-does it also have the original obi?
"Having T-Shirt tmcats as a KSU fan has to be embarrassing for some. He should just stay on the tiggerboard where the little weasel best fits in."
KU76erfan

Post by KU76erfan »

Feral wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:15 pm
Now there's a story!
What still blows my mind is that although my American grandfather (whom sadly, I never got to meet, everyone raved about what a gentleman he was) was in the European theatre, my grandfathers fought on opposite sides during the war.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i smell a book deal, 76er
KU76erfan

Post by KU76erfan »

Part of the collection (yes, I'm also a massive chess geek)

https://ibb.co/GnYGRkV
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

KU76erfan wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 4:30 pm Part of the collection (yes, I'm also a massive chess geek)

those are fantastic
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

TraditionKU wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 5:07 pm
KU76erfan wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 4:30 pm Part of the collection (yes, I'm also a massive chess geek)

those are fantastic
^^^
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Feral wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 5:11 pm
TraditionKU wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 5:07 pm

those are fantastic
^^^
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Our governor extended the mandatory 14 day quarantine ( thus eliminating short term rentals ) for out of staters through the summer.

Of course, a nightmare to the local economy but a plus for visiting the beautiful parks around here.
Acadia, in particular, has gotten out of control with visitors ( last summer was a shitshow ) and it would be a treat to go without the swarms of tourists.