F the NCAA

Kansas Basketball.
pdub
Site Admin

Re: F the NCAA

Post by pdub »

The issue is the NCAA, if they want to maintain amateurism, need to figure out how to keep a stable business while also putting their 'money where their mouth' is -- and find the trouble spots and separate them from college basketball even if it means making less profit.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jfish26 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 2:52 pm
pdub wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 2:46 pm There are things that are subjective in life that some people agree with and others don't. There are rules in place - and rules are broken - but just because they are being broken doesn't mean that, if you agree with the rules, you just should give up on them.

If the rules are abandoned, just like if there was a law that changed and affected something else I enjoyed or my livelihood, i'd be bummed and try to separate myself from the situation.

The speed limit on my street is 25. It doesn't need to be 25, to me it's more a 35 mph street, it's open enough and not congested. I go over the speed limit on the street. Some people go way over the speed limit. I wouldn't want them to just say, well, fuck it, people are going over the speed limit, let's make this road 80 mph. If I got caught going 33 and was pulled over, i'd accept the ticket/fine, and maybe think about going 25 from then forward.
But, if that "street" was actually an eight-lane highway, you'd say, "god damn, this speed limit is pretty fucking stupid."
We just got caught going 60 in a 25 that probably should be a 35.
We should get hit with a pretty big ticket.
And if UNC, going 80, had gotten a bigger ticket, rather than nothing, than MIZZOU, going 34 and getting slammed, then us getting a pretty big ticket would be something I could understand.

But it's a clown show police officer taking bribes on the side but stepping in front of the camera and showing off his badge.

I'm largely in agreement with the the thread title.
I just don't want to watch the KC Phogushers on Carl Jr. commercials.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

If you make an eight-lane highway a 35 instead of a 25, you're not going to even begin to stop speeding.
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

What if allowing the players to be paid over the table actually results in "the players and their families spending LESS time worrying about money"? Instead, now they are just worrying about getting caught and possibly hurting their future by taking payments that the NCAA wants to be "illegal". The ncaa rules aren't actually stopping any of the players from taking the money, and it is also not stopping the people who see value in the players from paying them (shoe companies, agents, etc)...

Many of these players come from poverty. They don't have the luxury/privilege of just "not worrying about money" whether is allowed by the NCAA or not.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 3:04 pm What if allowing the players to be paid over the table actually results in "the players and their families spending LESS time worrying about money"? Instead, now they are just worrying about getting caught and possibly hurting their future by taking payments that the NCAA wants to be "illegal". The ncaa rules aren't actually stopping any of the players from taking the money, and it is also not stopping the people who see value in the players from paying them (shoe companies, agents, etc)...

Many of these players come from poverty. They don't have the luxury/privilege of just "not worrying about money" whether is allowed by the NCAA or not.
Not to mention, payments through proper channels would be taxable, etc.

Won't be long before some enterprising IRS agent digs into the FBI file and starts making runs at players and their families for underreporting income.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

jfish26 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 2:58 pm If you make an eight-lane highway a 35 instead of a 25, you're not going to even begin to stop speeding.
The issue is the NCAA, if they want to maintain amateurism, need to figure out how to keep a stable business while also putting their 'money where their mouth' is -- and find the trouble spots and separate them from college basketball even if it means making less profit.
Deleted User 310

pdub wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 2:52 pm The issue is the NCAA, if they want to maintain amateurism, need to figure out how to keep a stable business while also putting their 'money where their mouth' is -- and find the trouble spots and separate them from college basketball even if it means making less profit.
Why do you think it's even possible to "separate the trouble spots"?

Shoe companies: ban schools from having deals with nike/adidas/etc...that would take care of the shoe companies wanting to steer them to the better schools signed with their brand (for example there would be no "its Kansas and then everyone else" comment on wiretap)....but that won't stop the shoe companies from wanting to build relationships with top players, so they'll still be willing to pay them they just won't care nearly as much where they go to school....and instead it'll crush small sports budgets because Adidas won't be forking over millions for the exposure the basketball team gives them. Net loss?

Boosters: they've been paying since before you were born and will be long after you're dead. Nothing the ncaa can do. Unless the FBI is going to become a full time enforcement agency for the ncaa?

The idea they just need to "maintain amatuerism", at least in college basketball, is laughable. Its almost like you didn't see any of the texts our coaches were sending to a guy whose sole job with Adidas was recruiting players to top adidas schools and influencing relationships with prospects.....it is so far past "maintaining".

What you want is the "regaining/reestablishment" of true amatuerism in college sports. Which is your choice and a reasonable one...unfortunately you're in an extreme minority on what you're willing to give up to achieve that....I don't even think it's possible, but that's an opinion.

Honestly it sounds like intramural sports might be more what you're looking for? Students just playing because they love the sport and competition. Who are in school to get an education and will likely be there all 4 years. Its hard to find much coverage of Kansas intramural sports online/on TV though (i have a guess why, but it is just a guess)...so hopefully you're local.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I get that people don't value what I do, or value different things, so the inevitable mocking post that reads kinda like 'he's fixated on some mythical purity that doesn't exist' will fall on deaf ears.
Sorry that it makes some of you upset.

But I attended KU.
And have followed KU since I was a kid.
And if at these crossroads the G League got the kids who wanted to play pro to play pro and college became more an amateur sport than it is now, i'd be into it.

And I do watch some local high school sports on TV when they are on -- but I don't have an allegiance to these small Maine schools.

I'm not an expert in business.
Find a medium where shoe companies can help fund the programs but not to the tune of 15 million dollars a year.
I don't have the solve - just like it would difficult to solve how to pay college players through the schools - I just know I lean more towards college being an amateur sport ( less money in basketball rather than more ).
Deleted User 310

I see just as many scenarios where rule changes will make players become better teammates and people/students than I do where it makes them care less about the college team/teammates and only worry about money. Instead of feeling the need to be "me first" on the court because they have a family depending on them to make it to the NBA in 6 months, they'd be able to be patient and really learn/enjoy their time in college. Take time to develop without the off court pressure of paying bills/feeding their family. Maybe they don't rush off after 1 year even though they know they're not ready. Maybe a pandemic hits and cancels their ncaa tournament and even though they're good enough to get drafted they decide they really want to come back and try to win a national title. Maybe they just love the community so much and have embraced the Jayhawk way so much that they decide their family is taken care of well enough that they are going to stay 4 years and get their degree even though they'd have been a first round pick for a few years....i could go on and on, all with realistic scenarios.

You know what isn't a realistic scenario: expecting poor people to turn down money because of NCAA rules.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

It's a tough decision for any kid growing up, regardless of if they play basketball or not, to have a family struggling to pay bills.

Some mothers would press to have their kid take a step to getting something that might help them long term and help that kids potential family in the future.

If you don't value the things that college basketball provides, which at its heart should be an education ( regardless of what it is now and that's a big part of what I'm arguing - so i'm not going "miss you" with the "nonsense" ) in basketball and in whatever you decide to become, then the argument is moot.

Getting to go to school completely free, no cost to anyone in your family, is very valuable.
But i'm sure JFish and CnB have some way of making that comment racist as well.
Deleted User 310

pdub wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 3:26 pm I get that people don't value what I do, or value different things, so the inevitable mocking post that reads kinda like 'he's fixated on some mythical purity that doesn't exist' will fall on deaf ears.
Sorry that it makes some of you upset.

But I attended KU.
And have followed KU since I was a kid.
And if at these crossroads the G League got the kids who wanted to play pro to play pro and college became more an amateur sport than it is now, i'd be into it.

And I do watch some local high school sports on TV when they are on -- but I don't have an allegiance to these small Maine schools.

I'm not an expert in business.
Find a medium where shoe companies can help fund the programs but not to the tune of 15 million dollars a year.
I don't have the solve - just like it would difficult to solve how to pay college players through the schools - I just know I lean more towards college being an amateur sport ( less money in basketball rather than more ).
Most of the top 200 kids in the sport "want to play pro".

Also, since this G League thing is sort of getting distorted: that special program is for like 10 kids or so. It isn't regular G League teams. It is separate. They'll play like 10-15 games against international teams and some G League teams. It is only available for the best HS prospects. The Selbys, Wiggins, Zions, etc. Top 10ish guys and nobody else.

Nobody is mocking you about purity. We get what you're saying...it is just that it literally doesn't exist in college basketball and most certainly not for Kansas basketball.

Intramural sports is what you're describing.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

College basketball will still be entertaining without the top 50-100 high schoolers.
In fact, there may be more upperclassmen, which I'm down with.
I watch college basketball ( and a lot of people watch college sports in general ) because of the school/the program and not because I want to see one year of Andrew Wiggins before he plays the rest of his career for the Timberwolves.
Deleted User 310

Absolutely an education is valuable. And that's all the SCHOOL should give the players. I am with pdub on that, as are most people.

But if Zion can get paid 25k to do a 30min podcast each week sponsored by whoever then that really has nothing to do with the school/ncaa and is out of their "jurisdiction".
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"For example, the regulators might determine through market research that the fair value of an athlete appearing on a 30-second radio commercial for a local restaurant is somewhere between $5,000 and $10,000. If a restaurant owner instead offers to pay the new star quarterback at his local college $100,000 to appear in a commercial, the regulators will say that the price is clearly overvalued and intended to reward the player's athletic ability and entice future recruits."

This is gonna be a nightmare and just allow boosters to funnel money in unlimited channels. OK so the max for a TV commercial is 15k, cool, we are gonna shoot 6 TV commercials.

Here's hoping the G League keeps getting more lucrative.
Deleted User 310

pdub wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 3:37 pm College basketball will still be entertaining without the top 50-100 high schoolers.
In fact, there may be more upperclassmen, which I'm down with.
I watch college basketball ( and a lot of people watch college sports in general ) because of the school/the program and not because I want to see one year of Andrew Wiggins before he plays the rest of his career for the Timberwolves.
Sure, I'd still watch kansas even if they were only as good as KState.

But it still wouldn't fix your issue because Kansas is still going to want to be the best so they're still going to try to influence the next 200 best players to come to their school. It just shifts the problem down the ranks. And then instead of nike/adidas being the big dogs in the market of influecing it would shift back to the boosters.
Deleted User 310

pdub wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 3:41 pm "For example, the regulators might determine through market research that the fair value of an athlete appearing on a 30-second radio commercial for a local restaurant is somewhere between $5,000 and $10,000. If a restaurant owner instead offers to pay the new star quarterback at his local college $100,000 to appear in a commercial, the regulators will say that the price is clearly overvalued and intended to reward the player's athletic ability and entice future recruits."

This is gonna be a nightmare and just allow boosters to funnel money in unlimited channels. OK so the max for a TV commercial is 15k, cool, we are gonna shoot 6 TV commercials.

Here's hoping the G League keeps getting more lucrative.
What local restaurant spends 100k on a commercial?

That is so far fetched.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

We just got caught going 60 in a 25 that probably should be a 35.
We should get hit with a pretty big ticket.
And if UNC, going 80, had gotten a bigger ticket, rather than nothing, than MIZZOU, going 34 and getting slammed, then us getting a pretty big ticket would be something I could understand.

But it's a clown show police officer taking bribes on the side but stepping in front of the camera and showing off his badge.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

[deleted for duplicate posting]
Last edited by jfish26 on Mon May 04, 2020 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

[deleted for duplicate posting]
Last edited by jfish26 on Mon May 04, 2020 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 310

It is interesting that you think what UNC did is worse than what KU coaches/Adidas did.