F the NCAA

Kansas Basketball.
NDballer13

Re: F the NCAA

Post by NDballer13 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 10:23 am
NDballer13 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 10:11 amAfter the NCAA's response, and KU's response to that response, it is now in the hands of that independent committee.
I haven't seen that we are definitely going to be under the new committee's jurisdiction, unless I missed something.
You're more right than I am. It's more of a potential next step.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... ous-severe

"Because of the complexity and severity of the allegations, and Kansas' position regarding Adidas' role, the case might be processed through the independent accountability resolutions process (IARP). An independent resolution panel (IRP), consisting of five independent members with legal, higher education and/or sports backgrounds, would hear the case and decide what penalties the Jayhawks would face. The IRP's decision is final, and there are no appeals."
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

"Even if you believe it or not"

I don't believe our coaches didn't know and are unaware of the college basketball culture around recruiting.

I get there's a difference between what can you prove and what is the truth. I think the truth is probably not on our side....but i couldn't prove it. Which is your point.

I sometimes wish we didn't play lawyer as much in these discussions and instead were more honest about what we think has really been going on at Kansas (and most everywhere else)....i know I can't hang with you in the analysis of this when approaching it as an attorney. Sorry if it seems like I'm throwing our staff under the bus, I'm really not, because I think this (players getting impermissible benefits) is par for the course.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

NDballer13 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 10:11 amAfter the NCAA's response, and KU's response to that response, it is now in the hands of that independent committee.
I haven't seen that we are definitely going to be under the new committee's jurisdiction, unless I missed something.
I think it was mentioned by Seth Davis that almost all these new cases are going to the new committee because of the schools basically telling the NCAA "F You"

Basically if things get pretentious, which KU, NC States and L'Ville's have been very strong handed toward the NCAA, then it's going to bypass the Committe on Infractions and go to Independent Resolution Panel.

That new panel is so unknown though. They haven't decided anything yet, so who knows how strict or lenient they are. And they are the final verdict. Nothing can be appealed after that point.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 10:46 amI sometimes wish we didn't play lawyer as much in these discussions and instead were more honest about what we think has really been going on at Kansas (and most everywhere else)....
Grab a coffee and snack and read all 70+ pages of this thread. There's plenty of honest discussion about what is going on, ha.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 10:48 am
I think it was mentioned by Seth Davis that almost all these new cases are going to the new committee because of the schools basically telling the NCAA "F You"

Basically if things get pretentious, which KU, NC States and L'Ville's have been very strong handed toward the NCAA, then it's going to bypass the Committe on Infractions and go to Independent Resolution Panel.

That new panel is so unknown though. They haven't decided anything yet, so who knows how strict or lenient they are. And they are the final verdict. Nothing can be appealed after that point.
I tend to think Kansas is bringing the most capable army that is willing to fight to the death.

I don't know if that will affect where the NCAA puts this one. I don't think the NCAA quite knows either.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah, is Kansas supposed to just defer to the mercy of the NCAA?

Has that ever done any good for anyone?

Mind, they’re the ones who have been indifferent to good faith and self-responsibility.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 10:46 am "Even if you believe it or not"

I don't believe our coaches didn't know and are unaware of the college basketball culture around recruiting.

I get there's a difference between what can you prove and what is the truth. I think the truth is probably not on our side....but i couldn't prove it. Which is your point.

I sometimes wish we didn't play lawyer as much in these discussions and instead were more honest about what we think has really been going on at Kansas (and most everywhere else)....i know I can't hang with you in the analysis of this when approaching it as an attorney. Sorry if it seems like I'm throwing our staff under the bus, I'm really not, because I think this (players getting impermissible benefits) is par for the course.
I don't think anyone in this thread has said they believe KU, the staff, the players, or whoever is involved is 100% innocent of what's being accused. None of us are that blind.

Your second sentence is why there are 70 pages of this, lol. You can't punish one or two schools for "knowing" they did something you also "know" 99% of the schools under your umbrella do. If the NCAA wants to go down that road, they will find themselves fighting for their life in federal courts until the NCAA isn't even a thing anymore.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

ousdahl wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 10:55 am Yeah, is Kansas supposed to just defer to the mercy of the NCAA?

Mind, they’re the ones who have been indifferent to good faith and self-responsibility.
Missouri complied with everything and NCAA hammered them.

UNC fought back and NCAA did nothing.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Deleted User 310

ousdahl wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 10:55 am Yeah, is Kansas supposed to just defer to the mercy of the NCAA?
No...but to influence real change I don't think they can pretend that everyone doesn't know this is happening....but doing so would mean they can't play the ignorance card to try to avoid punishment for the instances currently in question.

So can't have it both ways I guess.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 10:57 am

Yes. And the wind is blowing behind our sails, not the NCAAs.
Deleted User 310

Well the main difference between KU and UNC is that the UNC scandal involved academics and fake classes that regular students had access to also? So not really apples to apples?

Regardless, its pretty apparent that us fighting back isn't resulting in the ncaa doing nothing. They appear ready to do something major to kansas based on their public statements the last 48hrs or so.
Deleted User 310

regardless of what happens to KU in this my hope is that real change occurs in college sports so that this stuff isn't an issue moving forward. Common sense reform. It doesn't have to turn into the wild west (which many could argue it already is)...but no reform is not realistic, otherwise this will continue to happen in various ways.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 11:06 am

Well the main difference between KU and UNC is that the UNC scandal involved academics and fake classes that regular students had access to also? So not really apples to apples?
That's probably why he didn't mention KU, but instead used Missouri, who the NCAA hammered for academics.
Deleted User 310

NDballer13 wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 11:12 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 11:06 am

That's probably why he didn't mention KU, but instead used Missouri, who the NCAA hammered for academics.
Gotcha. Sorry didn't remember what the missouri stuff was about...

After a quick look, again it seems that missouri and UNC situations were slightly different because the tutor was completing class work for athletes only and not regular students also.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

I always said NCAA had a jurisdiction issue with UNC and predicted that outcome.

But, it's a dumb jurisdictional issue that the NCAA created and it makes no damn logical sense.
Judy_Jayhawk

Post by Judy_Jayhawk »

Don't we have the option to sue the NCAA if the independent committee finds against us?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 11:08 am regardless of what happens to KU in this my hope is that real change occurs in college sports so that this stuff isn't an issue moving forward. Common sense reform. It doesn't have to turn into the wild west (which many could argue it already is)...but no reform is not realistic, otherwise this will continue to happen in various ways.
With billions of dollars in shoe sales on the line, this problem will always be a problem. Shoe companies will always spend money to get to players earlier than their competitors, no matter where you draw the line. Make it OK to pay high school kids and they'll start paying middle school kids.

And hoping that the ncaa makes common sense reform is like hoping that the shoe companies will abide by the rules. Good luck.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Pat “KU lives rent free in my head” Forde’s take:

https://twitter.com/bypatforde/status/1 ... 63874?s=21
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Deleted User 310

David Reed, whose job at Kansas is NCAA rules compliance, compared T.J. Gassnola to infamous 20th century mobster Lucky Luciano.

Reed described him thusly to NCAA investigators: “He’s a parasite taking advantage of kids and riding their coattails to be a jock sniffer to power coaches and power players in the industry. … “ Reed said he asked the Kansas ticket manager, Scott Hahn, about Gassnola and was told, “Just Google him, he’s a scum bag.”

Wow. That is Self's boy. Interesting article. I am not sure i believe Gasnolla is a scumbag, though....and I'm not sure i would classify influencing players to go to adidas schools as taking advantage of kids.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 11:02 am
No...but to influence real change I don't think they can pretend that everyone doesn't know this is happening....but doing so would mean they can't play the ignorance card to try to avoid punishment for the instances currently in question.

So can't have it both ways I guess.
Who wants "real change"? Certainly not the ncaa.