F the NCAA

Kansas Basketball.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: F the NCAA

Post by jfish26 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 10:40 pm https://www.forbes.com/sites/jakelourim ... whos-next/

Not related to Kansas issues, but a recap of GT penalties.

""Built into Georgia Tech’s case were proactive measures taken by the school: The NCAA’s committee on infractions found that Pastner repeatedly told Bell not to offer his players any benefits. He fired LaBarrie soon after he learned of the night at the strip club, and he told administrators “immediately” about Bell’s payments.

Those issues generated a postseason ban, one of the more serious punishments the NCAA doles out.

In releasing its decision, the NCAA repeated the phrase “outside individuals” and singled them out as culprits: “Both sets of violations occurred because men’s basketball coaching staff members invited outside individuals into their program,” the committee said in its decision. “They permitted these outside individuals to interact with their student-athletes, and those actions resulted in violations.”

That’s a blanket term to refer to any agents, boosters or AAU coaches who participate in illicit payments. If, say, an “inside” individual were involved, the optics would be far worse. That’s the kind of situation Kansas could find itself in as the process speeds up.""
The mental gymnastics going into preserving exploitation here are insane. KU as a victim of a scheme designed to...get good players to play for KU? Shoe company reps as "boosters" now, but somehow only at some places?

When none of it makes any fucking sense, you have to scrape down just a little bit below the surface and explore exactly why we're on this stupid fucking path.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

my theory exactly why, is that the NCAA decided they were eventually gonna come down on us one way or another ever since Cliff.
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

ousdahl wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:49 am my theory exactly why, is that the NCAA decided they were eventually gonna come down on us one way or another ever since Cliff.
I dont think that's why simply because what cliff got caught doing was separate of kansas AND adidas. They took out a loan. It's nothing like this stuff. He didn't get that loan so that he'd go to Kansas. In fact iirc he got that loan after he was at kansas.

The NCAA doesn't have it out for Kansas or Bill Self imo.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:34 am
ousdahl wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:49 am my theory exactly why, is that the NCAA decided they were eventually gonna come down on us one way or another ever since Cliff.
I dont think that's why simply because what cliff got caught doing was separate of kansas AND adidas. They took out a loan. It's nothing like this stuff. He didn't get that loan so that he'd go to Kansas. In fact iirc he got that loan after he was at kansas.

Cliff wasn't even the one to get the loan, was he?
Deleted User 310

NDballer13 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:36 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:34 am

Cliff wasn't even the one to get the loan, was he?
No it was his parents...but somehow the rules are written in a way that makes him responsible for their actions i think if he "should have known"...whatever the fuck that means.

Its dumb.
Judy_Jayhawk

Post by Judy_Jayhawk »

Any thoughts of banning Illy? Certainly no fan of KU!
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Well, just look at how they handled our bigs since:

The next year, with Diallo, they just dragged their feet. Despite any real evidence of wrongdoing, just wouldn’t clear him, with their reason being they wanted things like his 6th grade report card first.

A couple years later, they at least got Preston cleared, but then loose their minds when we self-withhold and self-report something their own clearinghouse failed to uncover.

Then Silvio, though arriving to college early, is delayed in being cleared. We don’t play him until the NCAA does clear him.

That summer, Silvio is mentioned in the fbi case. It took an fbi case too, cuz their own clearinghouse again didn’t catch it. We self-withhold again, and they drag their feet again, for most of the season. We fans wishfully think they’ll just hand down a “time served,” which would have been consistent and proportionate with their previous rulings, until they impose one of the harshest suspensions in the history of their hustle.
Last edited by ousdahl on Tue May 19, 2020 10:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

That's how I remember it too. Dumb is a word I agree with there.

I also think it's dumb how Self gets slapped with an institutional control violation because he doesn't know what everyone is doing and where everyone is at that has a connection to the program.
Deleted User 310

ousdahl wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:43 am Well, just look at how they handled our bigs since:

The next year, with Diallo, they just dragged their feet. Despite any real evidence of wrongdoing, just wouldn’t clear him, with their reason being they wanted things like his 6th grade report card first.

A couple years later, they at least got Preston cleared, but then loose their minds when we self-withhold and self-report something their own clearinghouse failed to uncover.

Then Silvio, though arriving to college early, is delayed in being cleared. We don’t play him until the NCAA does clear him.

That summer, Silvio is mentioned in the fbi case. It took an fbi case too, cuz their own clearinghouse again didn’t catch it. We self-withhold again, and they drag their feet again, for most of the season. We fans wishfully think they’ll just hand down a “time served,” which would have been consistent and proportionate with their previous rulings, until they impose one of the harshest suspensions in the history of their hustle.
We had issues before Cliff....we've had issues after Cliff.

I know the nature of today's culture is to always assume EVERYTHING is a conspiracy to bring down the people we like...but i think that's sort of silly in this instance (and many/most of the other conspiracy theory instances floated around here/everywhere almost daily).
Deleted User 310

NDballer13 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:43 am That's how I remember it too. Dumb is a word I agree with there.

I also think it's dumb how Self gets slapped with an institutional control violation because he doesn't know what everyone is doing and where everyone is at that has a connection to the program.
I think its dumb that Self is being vilified for doing the same things everyone else does, that everyone else has done for decades, and that everyone has known goes on for decades...but he holds at least some responsibility for some if it and I can't see him truly as a "victim" because I think its very likely he knew what was going on with Adidas/Gassnolla.

I sure wish another coach would come out publicly and stand up for Self and say "come on man, this is business as usual, stop dragging this HOF coach's name thru the mud by pretending you (NCAA) aren't fully aware of the culture that exists.

Watched "He Got Game" yesterday. Great movie. Lots of college coaches appear in that movie willingly that is about improper benefits to go to college...obviously its about much more than just that, but a lot of it centers around aspects of the shadowy nature that surrounds the top players.

Also, many of those same coaches appear in Blue Chips iirc. Same type of thing.

If it was some rare thing, I dont think coaches would want their faces associated with those movies...but there they are, because everyone knows its reality.
Deleted User 310

Judy_Jayhawk wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:41 am Any thoughts of banning Illy? Certainly no fan of KU!
Dang. I thought everyone liked me now.

😳😉
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:59 am
I sure wish another coach would come out publicly and stand up for Self and say "come on man, this is business as usual, stop dragging this HOF coach's name thru the mud by pretending you (NCAA) aren't fully aware of the culture that exists.
Didn’t Mike Brey at Notre Dame do that?

But yeah, it would take either some critical mass of coaches, or some particularly high profile coach, to actually prompt change.

Come on, K...
Deleted User 310

ousdahl wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 11:09 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 10:59 am
Didn’t Mike Brey at Notre Dame do that?

But yeah, it would take either some critical mass of coaches, or some particularly high profile coach, to actually prompt change.

Come on, K...
not by name.

(Spitballing here...)...but yes, we need a renegade Calipari or someone vocal (K could, but he clearly won't because its just a blip 🙄) to either support Self or get caught themselves so that they "burn it down"....Self is fighting it, but hes fighting it in a way that saves his reputation (which i don't blame him for) and in less of a way that would change college basketball....if he said "you guys are fucking hypocrites and know this is going on and now you're mad that the FBI filled everyone else in on the dirty secret" or something like that and did it publicly and repeatedly it might force change...but it'd also be suicide for his career. So i don't blame him. I think our team of attorneys thinks we can maybe fight it and avoid punishment for reasons that many have pointed out here, so he's going that route. Again, cant blame him for that.

Its a tough spot with no clear cut "best" route to go.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

As speculated, the KU case is going to new committee. All hearings off until May 31st. This committee has not had any past rulings or verdicts.

https://twitter.com/petethamel/status/1 ... 98594?s=21
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Deleted User 310

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 4:57 pm As speculated, the KU case is going to new committee. All hearings off until May 31st. This committee has not had any past rulings or verdicts.

https://twitter.com/petethamel/status/1 ... 98594?s=21
So basically this means whatever punishment they come up with is final, and can't be challenged any further....correct?
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Thamel calling it an SDNY case is lacking in journalistic integrity.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

So what’s this committee gonna decide?

How would Kansas react if the committee comes down hard on us?

How would the NCAA react if the committee comes down hard on them?
Deleted User 310

For anyone curious want the IARP independent review panel is...

https://iarpcc.org/
Last edited by Deleted User 310 on Tue May 19, 2020 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 310

ousdahl wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 6:18 pm How would the NCAA react if the committee comes down hard on them?
I'm confused what you mean by this?

They don't exist to change NCAA rules from what I understand. Its simply to avoid potential conflicts of interest i think. They don't decide if the rules are stupid. They make rulings based on the current rules. There is no further appeal once they make a decision. Member schools agreed to their creation.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

and based on the current rules, if the committee rules something like, y’all are heavy on the allegations but light on the corroborating evidence, how’s the ncaa gonna take it?