anybody like historical literature?

Coffee talk.
Deleted User 89

anybody like historical literature?

Post by Deleted User 89 »

just started reading Capt. Howard Stansbury’s Exploration and Survey of the Valley of the Great Salt Lake of Utah, from 1852

fucking awesome (if you’re into such things)
pdub
Site Admin

Re: anybody like historical literature?

Post by pdub »

Just read Autumn of the Black Snake ( early conflict with the Native Americans on George Washington's post as prez ) and History of the World in 6 Glasses ( goes through history describing effects of booze/coffee/tea etc on civilization ).

Killer Angels by Shaara is a must read.
His son's Gods and Generals and Rise to Rebellion are not as good but solid.
Under of the Banner of Heaven, while not 100% about history, largely talks about the history of Mormons which is very well written.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

I am not surprised you are into that sort of thing, but the three best "Historical Literature" I have read (only the last one was recent):

The Measure of All Things by Ken Alder on how the meter came to be what it is

The Great Arc by John Keay on how they mapped India, and how Mt Everest should really be known as Mt Lambton since George Everest never got nearer than 1000 miles of the eponymous landmark

Sea of Glory by Nathaniel Philbrick on the US Exploring Expedition, which was the oceanic equivalent (of sorts) of the Lewis and Clark Expedition
Deleted User 89

if it’s even tangentially related to biodiversity, there is a wealth of literature at www.biodiversitylibrary.org

that’s where i found a digital copy of my current fascination
KU76erfan

Post by KU76erfan »

Sounds like a fascinating read, thanks for the recommendation.
"Having T-Shirt tmcats as a KSU fan has to be embarrassing for some. He should just stay on the tiggerboard where the little weasel best fits in."
Deleted User 89

KU76erfan wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 12:31 pm Sounds like a fascinating read, thanks for the recommendation.
it really is...i’m trying to keep from reading at work

the account of their interactions with those first Mormon settlers is fascinating