Where's the petri dish thread?

Coffee talk.
ousdahl

Re: Where's the petri dish thread?

Post by ousdahl »

zsn wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 5:51 pm
ChalkRocker wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 5:30 pm
DCHawk1 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 5:00 pm 100 years from now, the way we presently treat the elderly, the imprisoned, and those who help make food available to us, will be among the greatest sources of the nation's moral embarrassment at our era.
<sigh> a sadly prescient post, imo.

I bear my share of the shame.
Unfortunately just about every 20-year chunk of our nation’s history is spent being embarrassed for how we treated blank 100 years ago. Sooner or later everyone will have their turn
100 years ago the blanks had no rights
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

No comment.

Deleted User 289

Priest shoots child!
With Holy Water.
Not too sure how I feel about it but I admit I smiled.

https://www.irishpost.com/news/priest-p ... _EaHzMtA88
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Demoted/replaced: HHS IG Grimm angered Trump after she released a report in March that said there were "severe shortages" of testing kits in the US, "widespread shortages" of masks and other personal protective equipment at hospitals across the country, and significant delays in getting coronavirus test results. The deficits hampered the US's ability to respond effectively to the coronavirus outbreak and curb its spread, the report found.
imzcount

Post by imzcount »

Finally! Realizing Big Government has this all wrong!

DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

imzcount wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:39 pm Finally! Realizing Big Government has this all wrong!

I'd go somewhere else.
Imjustheretohelpyoubuycrypto
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

Deleted User 289

imzcount wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:39 pm Finally! Realizing Big Government has this all wrong!

"Big Government" has it all wrong and yet isn't the store doing exactly at least one of the things you are finding fault in Big Government for doing?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

smh

Yet another argument for getting the money out of politics.
“We are living through a revolt against the future. The future will prevail.”
Anand Giridharadas
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

If any of you are using insulin to treat a disease for which it's actually indicated, you might want to call your doctor and ask them to help you stock up on it before the rush. Because

Dr. Trump is opining on yet another medication he knows less than nothing about:

(And, in the process, he's announcing price controls, because "conservative" republican.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7321UesD5j4
Anand Giridharadas
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Feral wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 6:57 am
smh

But then there's this mobius strip (of, I acknowledge, overgeneralization):

The money in politics is in large part due to Citizens United, in which the Supreme Court found that the First Amendment prohibits the government from limiting corporate funding of "independent" super-PACs.

In other words, corporations are entitled to free speech protections.

Yesterday, Twitter exercised its free speech by fact-checking Trump.

Trump, wrongly, believes he has a right to free speech on Twitter. This would be just as wrong as me saying I have a right to speech on here; I do not.

So: money in politics is good, but the way you get there (corporate free speech) is bad. And also, the first amendment means some people can say what they want on any medium, but others can't.

Of course, I've now spent five minutes more on analyzing and unpacking these issues than Trump has in digesting the Constitution. So joke's on me I guess.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Feral wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:04 am If any of you are using insulin to treat a disease for which it's actually indicated, you might want to call your doctor and ask them to help you stock up on it before the rush. Because

Dr. Trump is opining on yet another medication he knows less than nothing about:

(And, in the process, he's announcing price controls, because "conservative" republican.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7321UesD5j4
He is flailing. "Lower prescription drug prices" is just a chord he plays, not unlike "blame Obama" and "people that don't look like me are bad" and "respect the flag," and so on and so forth.

His polling numbers are shit. He knows the GOP senators are smarter and savvier than he is, and will cut bait in a hot second if they think their majority is threatened.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

wait, why is money in politics good?
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

jfish26 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:23 am
Feral wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 6:57 am
smh

But then there's this mobius strip (of, I acknowledge, overgeneralization):

The money in politics is in large part due to Citizens United, in which the Supreme Court found that the First Amendment prohibits the government from limiting corporate funding of "independent" super-PACs.

In other words, corporations are entitled to free speech protections.

Yesterday, Twitter exercised its free speech by fact-checking Trump.

Trump, wrongly, believes he has a right to free speech on Twitter. This would be just as wrong as me saying I have a right to speech on here; I do not.

So: money in politics is good, but the way you get there (corporate free speech) is bad. And also, the first amendment means some people can say what they want on any medium, but others can't.

Of course, I've now spent five minutes more on analyzing and unpacking these issues than Trump has in digesting the Constitution. So joke's on me I guess.
It's hard to accept money as free speech, and, the wickets on the way to removing money from politics are many, and sticky. Unfortunately, any hope that public pressure could discourage politicians by the appearance of potential conflicts of interest involved in accepting large corporate or private donations is unrealistic in this day and age, but more transparency would help.
Anand Giridharadas
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

jfish26 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:23 amSo: money in politics is good, but the way you get there (corporate free speech) is bad. And also, the first amendment means some people can say what they want on any medium, but others can't.

I'm not by any means calling Trump a constitutional scholar, but I do believe he knows what he was doing with that tweet and does not necessarily believe Twitter is infringing on his 1A rights.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:18 am
jfish26 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:23 amSo: money in politics is good, but the way you get there (corporate free speech) is bad. And also, the first amendment means some people can say what they want on any medium, but others can't.

I'm not by any means calling Trump a constitutional scholar, but I do believe he knows what he was doing with that tweet and does not necessarily believe Twitter is infringing on his 1A rights.
^^^

It's just another shiny object. More of his grievance white politics: "Look how the elites are holding us down!"

(Which is not to say that Hunter Biden shouldn't go to prison for the rest of his life.)

#obamagate
Anand Giridharadas
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

perhaps also worth noting is that, despite the myriad of pleas to do so sooner, this is Twitter's first time ever of issuing a fact check warning against potus.
Shirley
Contributor

Post by Shirley »

ousdahl wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:24 am perhaps also worth noting is that, despite the myriad of pleas to do so sooner, this is Twitter's first time ever of issuing a fact check warning against potus.
Trump is twitter's cash cow, so I'm sure it wasn't an easy decision because

A twitter that's not on fire isn't news.

And, coincidentally, it's on fire again, now.
Anand Giridharadas
DCHawk1
Contributor

Post by DCHawk1 »

ousdahl wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 10:24 am perhaps also worth noting is that, despite the myriad of pleas to do so sooner, this is Twitter's first time ever of issuing a fact check warning against potus.
So fucking dumb.

Everything NOT fact-checked now is, by the new standards, true.