Play McCormack over Lightfoot

Kansas Basketball.
ousdahl

Re: Play McCormack over Lightfoot

Post by ousdahl »

yeah, that actually is the spirit of this thread. I don't mean to rip on Mitch, but I think McCormack is gonna be really good.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Like, figure McCormack could play a freshman Cole kind of role...except that instead of waiting his turn behind senior Kaun, he's behind Mitch.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

if McCormack is anything close to frosh Cole, look out
Deleted User 75

Post by Deleted User 75 »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:48 am Like, figure McCormack could play a freshman Cole kind of role...except that instead of waiting his turn behind senior Kaun, he's behind Mitch.
I think McCormack will end up averaging close to 15mpg....more than mitch will average is my guess.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

If we had De Sousa, I'd be arguing to have Dedric play minutes at the 3, so we could have two of Dok, McCormack, and De Sousa just abusing the other teams bigs for extended minutes.

Not sure how Dedric would be as a 3 especially on D...but I think that size would be worth it.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 75

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:50 am If we had De Sousa, I'd be arguing to have Dedric play minutes at the 3, so we could have two of Dok, McCormack, and De Sousa just abusing the other teams bigs for extended minutes.

Not sure how Dedric would be as a 3 especially on D...but I think that size would be worth it.
Thought the same thing the other night. SDS is a physical specimen. And he's got a decent shot from around that free throw line type distance.

We'd be fine on D. Hell, could even play some zone to protect Dok from foul trouble.

Dotson
Grimes
Dedric
SDS
Dok

Yikes!
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

that would be an interesting lineup.

between all the good guards we have, though, and Self's historical hesitation to play versatile forwards at the 3, I dunno if we'd really see it. (How much time did Perry really see at the 3? Marcus? Julian?)

If we had Silvio, I'd expect him Dok and Dedrick to get the bulk of the minutes, with David and Mitch getting little more than spell minutes, barring some weird matchup or foul trouble.

man I'm bummed about Silvio, cuz I thought he was gonna be really good. Fuckin Rules.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Foul trouble wouldn't even be a word in our vocabulary. 5 bigs, with 25 fouls everyone could play balls to the wall all the time.

Deleted User 75

Perry didn't have enough years with other capable bigs.

Marcus did some, but again, those teams had mutiple good and established guards who were good outside shooters, which fits better with small ball.

Julian played somewhat frequently at the 3, and would have played more had he stayed another year.

The problem is, having Garrett or Dotson standing around the perimeter shooting jumpers isn't ideal and they're 2 of our best 4 guards. Hell, I don't even want Vick or Grimes shooting 5+ 3pters very many nights.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Grimes can shoot as many as he wants if he shoots like he did against MSU.

Deleted User 75

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:58 am Foul trouble wouldn't even be a word in our vocabulary. 5 bigs, with 25 fouls everyone could play balls to the wall all the time.

Agreed. Although putting opponents at the line for easy pts isn't ideal either. There's a fine line to straddle when it comes to feeling like nobody needs to worry about fouls....but at least they wouldn't have to be passive.
Deleted User 75

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:01 am Grimes can shoot as many as he wants if he shoots like he did against MSU.
Potd.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:01 am
PhDhawk wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:58 am Foul trouble wouldn't even be a word in our vocabulary. 5 bigs, with 25 fouls everyone could play balls to the wall all the time.

Agreed. Although putting opponents at the line for easy pts isn't ideal either. There's a fine line to straddle when it comes to feeling like nobody needs to worry about fouls....but at least they wouldn't have to be passive.
I just want them to go after boards and block shots...and if needed, you make a guy earn it rather than an easy bucket. I have just grown tired of guys being hesitant or holding back the past couple years.

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:03 am

I just want them to go after boards and block shots...and if needed, you make a guy earn it rather than an easy bucket. I have just grown tired of guys being hesitant or holding back the past couple years.
I think that will be one of the biggest differences with this year's team. No more Doke and Mitch holding back on defense at the rim. Going 4/5ish deep in the front court is a definite help. Saw it against Michigan State. Dok challenged more shots at the rim in that game than what he seemed to do all of last year.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

and yet, "CJ Henry/12th best man on the team" KJ had the enforcer play of the night...
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:28 am

and yet, "CJ Henry/12th best man on the team" KJ had the enforcer play of the night...
I loved that play. He went HARD at him, and I don't think he got one piece of the ball but still made it seem that way. And I love that it wasn't reviewed because that would have been annoying.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

^^^^

just a good hard foul.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I fucking loved that play because I think both brothers knew they were out there and inbetween the Sparty and the basket.

KJ wasn't gonna let the dude past him so that his bro had to deal with him.
randylahey

Post by randylahey »

yes. i loved the enforcer play. sends a message. nobody is gonna try to fly in and dunk on us if they know we dont tolerate that shit
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

bump