George Floyd and the Ensuing Protests

Ugh.
twocoach

Re: George Floyd and the Ensuing Protests

Post by twocoach »

TDub wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:09 am
twocoach wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:19 am
TDub wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:54 pm https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... -inclusive

I obviously dont and cant understand this from the perspective of a black person in Texas. But, changing a song because it was used in a play performed in blackface is an interesting case. I wonder if the history of the song being used in positive light (being Texas Football, wins, bowls, championships : championships with a black QB at that) outweighs the negative origin. Obviously some of the current student athletes dont think so, and they may be right, I cant know that answer.

You can change names, you cant change history, you can lose history, and lose sight of the things in history.
You cant change the events of history but can change what is documented about those events to the point where people will believe that an entirely different history occurred.
There are lessons to be learned from history. Both the good and the bad. Revisionist history has its own flaws and creates a false platform on which to stand.
So long as the records of that history are an accurate portrayal of the events that occurred. Unfortunately, our scumbag Attorney General William Barr is more accurate than anyone cares to admit:

After denying he was doing Trump’s bidding, Barr was asked how history would remember this move. “History is written by the winners, so it largely depends on who is writing the history,” he said with a sly smile.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

twocoach wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:31 am
twocoach wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:19 am
You cant change the events of history but can change what is documented about those events to the point where people will believe that an entirely different history occurred.
There are lessons to be learned from history. Both the good and the bad. Revisionist history has its own flaws and creates a false platform on which to stand.
So long as the records of that history are an accurate portrayal of the events that occurred. Unfortunately, our scumbag Attorney General William Barr is more accurate than anyone cares to admit:

After denying he was doing Trump’s bidding, Barr was asked how history would remember this move. “History is written by the winners, so it largely depends on who is writing the history,” he said with a sly smile.
How did you twist my discussion to include william barr?
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

I don't think confederate flags should be flown on government property.

I am totally fine with removing names from government buildings, military bases, or whatever else that are problematic or were not good people. That goes for figures from both political parties. Racist figures from the past shouldnt be celebrated or glorified. It is a simple fix, and if it makes a portion of the population happy then that seems like a reasonable response.

We can't change history. We shouldn't try to change history or deny it happened or cover it up....but there are plenty of great people, past and present, that we can name buildings after and build statues of to celebrate. We don't need to glorify or celebrate problematic figures. Let them have honest/accurate displays in museums where both the good and bad parts of history are displayed for educational purposes.
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

If the news really cared about black lives, they would have been outraged when retired police captain David Dorn was murdered. Why did they not care? Because he was murdered by a black looter. No one wants to be honest that black on black crime is a far more serious problem than white on black crime. I was hoping covid would wake Americans up to be a little more intelligent, but I was wrong. People still cannot see what is the most obvious attempt by the media to destabilize the country in the name of "systemic racism" (which does not exist). We have a police brutality problem -- not systemic racism problem. Sadly though, this is a terrible distraction from the real problems that are about to unfold (continued layoffs, hyperinflation, rising taxes, etc.).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8vEgoWqjhI&t=609s
"This whole thing was a big dick-waving contest, it's just that my dick was bigger than yours."
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Another fucking sock.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Geezer wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:25 pm Another fucking sock.
Hey, the whole sock things is hilarious. You just can’t appreciate the level of intelligence and insight that goes into their creation and maintenance.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

HouseDivided wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:07 pm
Geezer wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:25 pm Another fucking sock.
Hey, the whole sock things is hilarious. You just can’t appreciate the level of intelligence and insight that goes into their creation and maintenance.
Machine wash cold with like colors, tumble dry low heat.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TDub wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:45 am
twocoach wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:31 am

How did you twist my discussion to include william barr?
Not trying to twist anything. It's just a recent quote that I remember about this very topic. There's history and thwn there's the recording of history. Sometimes "the winners", as Barr stated, get to choose how the record of hiatory reflects what may or may not have happened.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Walrus wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:36 pm If the news really cared about black lives, they would have been outraged when retired police captain David Dorn was murdered. Why did they not care? Because he was murdered by a black looter. No one wants to be honest that black on black crime is a far more serious problem than white on black crime. I was hoping covid would wake Americans up to be a little more intelligent, but I was wrong. People still cannot see what is the most obvious attempt by the media to destabilize the country in the name of "systemic racism" (which does not exist). We have a police brutality problem -- not systemic racism problem. Sadly though, this is a terrible distraction from the real problems that are about to unfold (continued layoffs, hyperinflation, rising taxes, etc.).

When a black person kills another black person, they are usually prosecuted and go to jail. They have no power to manipulate the system to increase their chances of getting away with it.

When a police officer kills a black person, it better be on video or the police officer is most likely going to walk away from it because they are in a position of power and can abuse that power to avoid facing the consequences of their actions.

Do you see the difference? This isnt just about the statistic of one black death being equal to the statistic of another black death.
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

There is a problem with police brutality, yes. But it's not a problem with "system racism" like so many want to blame all their problems on. The media wants you to believe there is, and many less intelligent people will eat it up.

Tony Timpa (a white guy) died from a very similar situation to George Floyd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c-E_i8Q5G0&t=283s
"This whole thing was a big dick-waving contest, it's just that my dick was bigger than yours."
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Walrus wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 1:36 pm If the news really cared about black lives, they would have been outraged when retired police captain David Dorn was murdered. Why did they not care? Because he was murdered by a black looter. No one wants to be honest that black on black crime is a far more serious problem than white on black crime. I was hoping covid would wake Americans up to be a little more intelligent, but I was wrong. People still cannot see what is the most obvious attempt by the media to destabilize the country in the name of "systemic racism" (which does not exist). We have a police brutality problem -- not systemic racism problem. Sadly though, this is a terrible distraction from the real problems that are about to unfold (continued layoffs, hyperinflation, rising taxes, etc.).

As the great DC would say, "Fuck you"!
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

So, you don't care about David Dorn? He doesn't "count"?
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

No, you don't count.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Walrus wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:45 pm There is a problem with police brutality, yes. But it's not a problem with "system racism" like so many want to blame all their problems on. The media wants you to believe there is, and many less intelligent people will eat it up.

Tony Timpa (a white guy) died from a very similar situation to George Floyd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_c-E_i8Q5G0&t=283s
Showing that a white guy has also been killed by the police doesn't prove that cops killing people isn't a racism problem. It just proves that racism isn't the ONLY problem we have in law enforcement.

There is obviously a serious issue with racism in law enforcement throughout the nation. But there is also a larger problem with the abuse of power against all those the police are sworn to protect. Abuses against the poor, against women, against other minority groups and against disabled Americans are also an issue. The existence of those doesn't nullify the issue of racism.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Walrus wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:50 pm So, you don't care about David Dorn? He doesn't "count"?
Yes, I care about David Dorn. Yes, he counts.

I'm going to explain to you why I said "fuck you".

I feel your saying "the news" (I assume you mean human beings who are affiliated and associated with reporting the news) doesn't care about Black lives is fucking ignorant and offensive.
I feel your saying they didn't care about David Dorn is fucking ignorant and offensive.
I feel your saying black on black crime is a far more serious problem than white on black crime is fucking ignorant and offensive.
I feel your saying the media attempts to "destabilize the country in the name of systemic racism is fucking ignorant and offensive.
I feel your saying systemic racism doesn't exist is EXTREMELY fucking ignorant and offensive.
I feel your saying we don't have a systemic racism problem is fucking ignorant and offensive.
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

It's possible the cop that killed Mr. Floyd could have been racist, but there's no evidence we have for this. That cop had a history of being a dick to many others and evidence supports this. I know a lot of people want there to be a "systemic racism" problem, but the reality is, we are the least racist we've ever been in our history. No one could argue America is "more racist" now than decades ago.

The protests are not justified because 1. there is not evidence this was a racist crime, and 2. he is going to prison, unlike what happened in the Rodney King situation. I could understand what happened in 1992 with the protests, but this 2020 situation is not justified. IF they were protesting because of "police brutality" I would support them 100%. But protesting in the name of "systemic racism" is a joke.
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

Grandma wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:08 pm
Walrus wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:50 pm So, you don't care about David Dorn? He doesn't "count"?
Yes, I care about David Dorn. Yes, he counts.

I'm going to explain to you why I said "fuck you".

I feel your saying "the news" (I assume you mean human beings who are affiliated and associated with reporting the news) doesn't care about Black lives is fucking ignorant and offensive.
I feel your saying they didn't care about David Dorn is fucking ignorant and offensive.
I feel your saying black on black crime is a far more serious problem than white on black crime is fucking ignorant and offensive.
I feel your saying the media attempts to "destabilize the country in the name of systemic racism is fucking ignorant and offensive.
I feel your saying systemic racism doesn't exist is EXTREMELY fucking ignorant and offensive.
I feel your saying we don't have a systemic racism problem is fucking ignorant and offensive.
Your feelings are not facts. :)
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Who approved this account?
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Walrus wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:19 pm It's possible the cop that killed Mr. Floyd could have been racist, but there's no evidence we have for this. That cop had a history of being a dick to many others and evidence supports this. I know a lot of people want there to be a "systemic racism" problem, but the reality is, we are the least racist we've ever been in our history. No one could argue America is "more racist" now than decades ago.

The protests are not justified because 1. there is not evidence this was a racist crime, and 2. he is going to prison, unlike what happened in the Rodney King situation. I could understand what happened in 1992 with the protests, but this 2020 situation is not justified. IF they were protesting because of "police brutality" I would support them 100%. But protesting in the name of "systemic racism" is a joke.
Just fucking stop.
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Don't inject Lysol.