The Worst People in the World...

Coffee talk.
Deleted User 310

Re: The Worst People in the World...

Post by Deleted User 310 »

ousdahl wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:09 pm RIP Rayshard Brooks.

Atlanta cops shot him in the back as he was fleeing last night.
Sad.

Resisting arrest shouldn't be a death sentence. Apparently they used tasers multiple times but they were ineffective and he kept fighting them...then broke free and tried to run I'm assuming.

Why not just let him get away and deal with him later? By that point I have to imagine they had his info and could track him down later.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

yeah, it sounds like he was asleep in his car at Wendy's. They tried to get him out and arrest him on suspicion of DUI.

Dude allegedly somehow got ahold of a police taser and pointed it at a cop as he ran away. Big mistake. but who knows what all went down.
Deleted User 310

ousdahl wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:25 pm yeah, it sounds like he was asleep in his car at Wendy's. They tried to get him out and arrest him on suspicion of DUI.

Dude allegedly somehow got ahold of a police taser and pointed it at a cop as he ran away. Big mistake. but who knows what all went down.
Ya. Pointing it at the cop wasn't smart....but you said shot in the back? If he was indeed shot in the back, AND the cop knew it was a stun gun/taser and not a firearm, then imo that means that level of force was not justified...because that would mean he pointed it, didn't fire it, and then turned to run away?

Resisting arrest doesn't mean the cop should be able to shoot you. Especially if you're being detained for something non violent.

Wtf are some of these police thinking right now!?!?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I’ve heard cops describe a “plus one” system of force. If they perceive you as a threat, they wanna neutralize it with one more level of tactics or weaponry than you do.

I suppose the next level of force after a taser would be a gun, and that’s what the cops will argue. But, shot in the back, holy shit.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Just saw a stat that police have killed 16 people so far in June.

Something’s gotta give.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Whatever we all think of politics, police reform is well overdue.
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

pdub wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:18 pm Whatever we all think of politics, police reform is well overdue.
Agreed.
"This whole thing was a big dick-waving contest, it's just that my dick was bigger than yours."
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

He tried to tase a cop.
Is the presumption that the cops wouldn't have shot him if he was white?
Deleted User 310

Mjl wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:39 pm He tried to tase a cop.
Is the presumption that the cops wouldn't have shot him if he was white?
Trying to tase a cop is inexcusable...but to become a cop you get tased to know what it is like, so he knew he would survive if in the unlikely event he deployed the taser and actually got the prongs (or whatever they're called) to hit the cop .....the cop could have retreated. Not every arrest that is resisted needs to escalate to the point of death by being shot. He could have stopped chasing so that he didn't get tased and then reassessed the situation. It was a non violent crime originally. He shot him in the back. He knew it was a taser. Cops need to stop shooting people who don't absolutely deserve to be shot. They should deescalate until its absolutely necessary to use deadly force. There was no need to use deadly force against a drunk guy.

If someone tried to tase me, but didn't, and was running away, and I shot them in the back, I would be in big trouble most likely. The laws on shooting people shouldn't be that much different for police imo.

And I'm far from anti cop. I've got multiple family members in various forms of law enforcement.
Deleted User 310

I'd have been a lot more understanding if they shot him during the fighting on the ground....once he got up and was running i cant stomach shooting him in the back.

It's also sad they picked up their shell casings before even checking on him while he was dying.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

What was rayshard brooks fleeing from. Who is rayshard brooks.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Rayshard Brooks is the second black man in 3 weeks to be killed by police on video.

I'll go out on a limb and guess fear of police brutality was among the reasons he was fleeing.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

dunno how “fear for my life” applies with a nonlethal weapon, and when the suspect is fleeing and you shoot him in the back.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

I don’t know what the situation was. Neither do you.
Leawood

Post by Leawood »

This is what is the result of Law and Order Republicans.
Deleted User 310

Leawood wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:35 pm This is what is the result of Law and Order Republicans.
Who knew Atlanta was so republican...
Deleted User 310

ousdahl wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:18 pm Rayshard Brooks is the second black man in 3 weeks to be killed by police on video.

I'll go out on a limb and guess fear of police brutality was among the reasons he was fleeing.
I am guessing he was drunk and belligerent. He didn't seem fearful when he was fighting them on the ground. I'm with you that it was wrong to kill him, but is wasn't a hands up dont shoot situation or a philando castille situation where he reached for an ID and the cop panicked and shot him multiple times.

You've seen the part of the video of him punching and wrestling the cops too right? He was definitely in the wrong. Inexcusable actions took place...i still don't think deadly force was necessary at that point in the altercation. Like I said, had they thought he was reaching for their gun on the ground fighting and shot him at that point, then I would be WAY more on the other side of this. But once he's running away I just dont agree with shooting him in the back. Even though he resisted. Even though he had a taser and pointed it back at the officer.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

Have you seen the video footage of the struggle/fight between the two police officers and the suspect?