COVID-19 numbers

Coffee talk.
imzcount

Re: COVID-19 numbers

Post by imzcount »

Walrus wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:19 pm It sadly does show that having a PhD does not necessarily mean one will think critically with logic and facts. That has to come from within and no piece of paper can give you that.
I think his expletives prove that. What was the saying about the person who can only speak in expletives has no argument at all other than being loud? Been a while since I heard it.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Walrus wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:13 pm Good Lord Phd, calm down man. We can discuss these different opinions peacefully. We don't have act like a bunch of hysterical women.
Says the guy calling anyone who takes the virus seriously "hysterical".
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

twocoach wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:22 pm
Walrus wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:13 pm Good Lord Phd, calm down man. We can discuss these different opinions peacefully. We don't have act like a bunch of hysterical women.
Where did I say that? That wasn't what I said or my intention. I think everyone should take it seriously. My point was, I think we're well beyond the point of being able to contain it.
"This whole thing was a big dick-waving contest, it's just that my dick was bigger than yours."
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:20 pm
HouseDivided wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:16 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:05 pm How are the young people going to do with a bill from a hospital for 60 days in the ICU like some are going through? What about the young people who have lung damage or damage to other organs that might be permanent?

You fucking idiot. I don't want anyone of any age to get sick. If we'd dealt with this properly, there wouldn't be so many sick, we'd be returning to normal life. Instead we're still dealing with it. Because dumbfucks like you couldn't wait 2 weeks. Because you never took it seriously. Because you can't sacrifice a goddamn thing for your fellow man.

You talk about you going to church and shit. Fuck that. You're the worst Christian I've ever encountered. You don't give a shit about anyone but yourself. You don't practice what you preach. You're an awful disgusting human being. Eat shit.
You’re basing your argument on a hypothetical that you have no way of proving. We did lock down. We did cripple the economy. We did drive millions of younger people to suicide. We have stolen a future from millions more. And now you want more? You’re ridiculous.

My church was half full on Sunday, and at age 50, I was the second-youngest person there. All of the younger people were at home because they are afraid. Invariably, the people there talked about how, if it was their time to go, they were fine with that, but that living in fear and wasting one’s life hiding or expecting others to do so was ridiculous. My parents are in the later 70’s and are both out living their lives. I admire that.

I’m sorry you choose to live in fear and misery. It is no way to exist.
https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/tota ... ZL~ITA~GBR

We could have been over this. We could have been like other countries. We'd be closer to having our economy back. We'd be closer to having our lives back. Fewer people would have gotten sick. Fewer people would have died.
And what would we have to go back to? A ~1 to 2% death rate (and that’s being generous) is not worthy of this kind of response.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Walrus wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:19 pm It sadly does show that having a PhD does not necessarily mean one will think critically with logic and facts. That has to come from within and no piece of paper can give you that.
You routinely ignore relevant facts and claim that the lack of irrelevant facts makes any coverage of the pandemic "media fueled hysteria".

You have created an alternate reality where your world view cannot bring in new information.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Walrus wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:23 pm
Where did I say that? That wasn't what I said or my intention. I think everyone should take it seriously. My point was, I think we're well beyond the point of being able to contain it.
So "fuck it, let's go have a cheeseburger!"

This virus can be contained, just not with people acting like ignorant idiots and pretending there's nothing that can be done about it.
Last edited by twocoach on Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

The best hope has always been herd immunity and better treatment. The rest is a political coup that has all but destroyed the country.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

HouseDivided wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:26 pm
The best hope has always been herd immunity and better treatment. The rest is a political coup that has all but destroyed the country.
Good freaking grief. Our country hasn't been "all but destroyed". That's absurd.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Everyone’s been able to Continuously buy cheeseburgers. You know, the ultimate American measure.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:32 pm Everyone’s been able to Continuously buy cheeseburgers. You know, the ultimate American measure.
Exactly. Oh, no, I had to eat it on my couch with a reasonably priced beer from my fridge instead of an overpriced one from a restaurant. The horror!
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

HouseDivided wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:24 pm
HouseDivided wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:16 pm

You’re basing your argument on a hypothetical that you have no way of proving. We did lock down. We did cripple the economy. We did drive millions of younger people to suicide. We have stolen a future from millions more. And now you want more? You’re ridiculous.

My church was half full on Sunday, and at age 50, I was the second-youngest person there. All of the younger people were at home because they are afraid. Invariably, the people there talked about how, if it was their time to go, they were fine with that, but that living in fear and wasting one’s life hiding or expecting others to do so was ridiculous. My parents are in the later 70’s and are both out living their lives. I admire that.

I’m sorry you choose to live in fear and misery. It is no way to exist.

We could have been over this. We could have been like other countries. We'd be closer to having our economy back. We'd be closer to having our lives back. Fewer people would have gotten sick. Fewer people would have died.
And what would we have to go back to? A ~1 to 2% death rate (and that’s being generous) is not worthy of this kind of response.
We could have gone back to a country that had far less than 1.2 million active cases. But you were selfish.

We could have gone back to a country that didn't have 120,000 deaths. But you were worried about yourself.

It would have largely been over with by now, but because you only care about yourself, it is being dragged out. You're the one who got duped into thinking there was nothing that could be done. Look at South Korea, look at Italy, look at Spain, look at France, look at the UK who was actually behind us in implementing restrictions.

By not waiting, and not doing what scientifically makes sense you're making it so much worse. All you have to do is look at the curves from other countries. There's plenty of evidence.

You could have gotten what you wanted, but you couldn't wait. And now, it's worse for everyone and we're in a worse spot financially and we're further from being re-opened than we could be. You and yours have no one to blame but yourselves.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
imzcount

Post by imzcount »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:38 pm

We could have gone back to a country that had far less than 1.2 million active cases. But you were selfish.

We could have gone back to a country that didn't have 120,000 deaths. But you were worried about yourself.

It would have largely been over with by now, but because you only care about yourself, it is being dragged out. You're the one who got duped into thinking there was nothing that could be done. Look at South Korea, look at Italy, look at Spain, look at France, look at the UK who was actually behind us in implementing restrictions.

By not waiting, and not doing what scientifically makes sense you're making it so much worse. All you have to do is look at the curves from other countries. There's plenty of evidence.

You could have gotten what you wanted, but you couldn't wait. And now, it's worse for everyone and we're in a worse spot financially and we're further from being re-opened than we could be. You and yours have no one to blame but yourselves.
Trying to compare the US to Korea and Spain. Nice try. Stop buying the MSM lies.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I had two cheeseburgers on Saturday and one last night.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

imzcount wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:41 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:38 pm

Trying to compare the US to Korea and Spain. Nice try. Stop buying the MSM lies.
were they the only countries I included? No. So what's your point. Compare to italy, Germany, the UK and NZ then.

That's still plenty of examples, even when you adjust for population.

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

pdub wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:44 pm I had two cheeseburgers on Saturday and one last night.
I had one for lunch, right after I got an estimate for a workshop to be built in my back yard.

Doing my part to keep the economy rolling while still not spreading the virus and still caring about the sick and the elderly. The people Psych, Count, and Lobster find to be expendable and not worth considering.

PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

twocoach wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:33 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:32 pm Everyone’s been able to Continuously buy cheeseburgers. You know, the ultimate American measure.
Exactly. Oh, no, I had to eat it on my couch with a reasonably priced beer from my fridge instead of an overpriced one from a restaurant. The horror!
You mean, all the burger joints and stores that sell alcohol didn't all close up in our permanently ruined economy that young people are inheriting? The young people who have no future because our economy is damaged beyond ever being repaired.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

imzcount wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:41 pm Trying to compare the US to Korea and Spain. Nice try. Stop buying the MSM lies.
What lies are you referring to?

I’m from a country that did laughably better than the US at responding to COVID. They’re opened up and eating cheeseburgers now. Desperately wanted to get back there this summer to see family and do some other pretty important stuff. Unfortunately, that’s not going to happen because this is dragging out here and no one wants visitors from the States.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I used to make burgers the wrong way all the way through a few years after college.
I'd make them into patties, flattened, like you get at the grocery store.
They really should be almost as tall as they are thick - like a bulged disc - and don't squish down with your spatula to flatten them.

They'll take longer to cook but will be juicier.

I like to put in worchstershire, butter, italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper and mix it into the burger.

Also put the cheese on them while they are still on the grill, a couple minutes after you've flipped em.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:50 pm
You mean, all the burger joints and stores that sell alcohol didn't all close up in our permanently ruined economy that young people are inheriting? The young people who have no future because our economy is damaged beyond ever being repaired.
I gained the COVID-19. So much BBQ and beer takeout.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

PhDhawk wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:50 pm
One of the Mexican places we ordered take out from is selling 32 oz. Margaritas to go.