COVID-19 numbers

Coffee talk.
Walrus

Re: COVID-19 numbers

Post by Walrus »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:58 pm
Walrus wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:53 pm The point was, we were obviously heading into a recession in March (even before covid started, the writing was on the wall) and people like Steve Mnuchin were telling us "recession is not coming". He's a total idiot and no one with any intelligence would believe him.

@two, Again, I was talking about California, HD was talking about where he is. Rules were not the same in every state. I had to reschedule a dentist appointment 3 times because the state was not allowing dentists to be open.
Of course, Mnuchin wasn't saying "no recession" because he did not believe a recession was coming.
He didn't want to panic people (aka, trigger another sell-off in the stock market). We're going to see stocks tank later this year despite that.
"This whole thing was a big dick-waving contest, it's just that my dick was bigger than yours."
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

It was an ill-advised (and ill-fated) attempt to push the pain beyond November 3.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Walrus wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:00 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:55 pm
Walrus wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:53 pm The point was, we were obviously heading into a recession in March (even before covid started, the writing was on the wall) and people like Steve Mnuchin were telling us "recession is not coming". He's a total idiot and no one would any intelligence would believe him.

@two, Again, I was talking about California, HD was talking about where he is. Rules were not the same in every state. I had to reschedule a dentist appointment 3 times because the state was not allowing dentists to be open.
But that's always been the case. A recession was being predicted since mid-2019, but you can't actually call it a recession until it is one.
Fine, you can wait for the government to "officially" call it a recession. I'll look at what is actually happening in society and plan accordingly. And again, they lied about how we were not going to see a recession this year, but only the dumbest of the dumb would fall for that.
But you see there's a fundamental difference between predicting something and reporting data, right. I mean, only the dumbest of the dumb wouldn't recognize that difference.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:03 pm It was an ill-advised (and ill-fated) attempt to push the pain beyond November 3.
Yes, and we're all going to pay a big price for it in some way or another. Not sure what that will look like exactly, but it should concern everyone. How screwed up is it that every administration we have now wants to avoid the inevitable?
"This whole thing was a big dick-waving contest, it's just that my dick was bigger than yours."
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:04 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:55 pm

But that's always been the case. A recession was being predicted since mid-2019, but you can't actually call it a recession until it is one.
Fine, you can wait for the government to "officially" call it a recession. I'll look at what is actually happening in society and plan accordingly. And again, they lied about how we were not going to see a recession this year, but only the dumbest of the dumb would fall for that.
But you see there's a fundamental difference between predicting something and reporting data, right. I mean, only the dumbest of the dumb wouldn't recognize that difference.
I don't need the government to officially tell me it's raining outside a month from now if it's raining today.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Walrus wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:07 pm
PhDhawk wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:04 pm

I don't need the government to officially tell me it's raining outside a month from now if it's raining today.
I don't either. But you're using the fact that they can't tell you it's raining until after it has rained as a reason to not believe them when they tell you how much it rained a month ago.

twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Walrus wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 1:53 pm The point was, we were obviously heading into a recession in March (even before covid started, the writing was on the wall) and people like Steve Mnuchin were telling us "recession is not coming". He's a total idiot and no one with any intelligence would believe him.

As for Mnuchin, all his behavior proves is that he is a Trump toadie trying to deny there is any sort of problem.

As to your second point, are of the opinion that in a state very hard hit by the virus that dentists should have their faces and hands in the mouths of the public?!? Kinda hard to wear a mask while getting your teeth worked on.
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

My point, again, was that it shouldn't be up to the government to decide what is safe and what isn't. It's probably more safe for a dentist to work on one person with their mouth open than going into a Costco with hundreds of people walking around breathing and coughing. Dentists wear shields which better protects them, unlike going to Costco.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Dentists only work on one person?

twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Walrus wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:29 pm My point, again, was that it shouldn't be up to the government to decide what is safe and what isn't. It's probably more safe for a dentist to work on one person with their mouth open than going into a Costco with hundreds of people walking around breathing and coughing. Dentists wear shields which better protects them, unlike going to Costco.
Just think about what you just said in your pathetic attempt to support your point....

It's not safer to spend 6+ hours a day directly touching the saliva that carries COVID-19 versus going to Costco for 45 minutes wearing a mask. Come on.

All this does is PROVE that society needs to be protected from idiots by government regulations and requirements. Just as people refusal to wear masks and not attend large gatherings in protest of lock downs forces the necessity of lock downs.

We all want this to be over as soon as possible. We all want restrictions to end as soon as possible. We allwant to watch our favorite fall sports. But the actions/inactions of some are putting those things at risk and prolonging this nightmare. Yes, that includes protesters, so let me save you the inevitable hysterical response.
Last edited by twocoach on Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

You guys, lol. Just love to "argue".
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Walrus wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:31 pm You guys, lol. Just love to "argue".
It's a conversation about points that you've made on important topics in our society. We've given you every opportunity to back up your points with sound logic and valid statistics yet all we've gotten is "it's probably safer to go to work as a dentist than to go shopping at Costco."
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Everyone is glossing over the most pertinent point:

Groceries: essential

Teeth emergencies: essential

Walrus tusk cleaning/whitening: not close to essential
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

Dentists gotta eat as well.

I can't claim to know with certainty that it's more dangerous to go to Costco than the dentist. You got me there. I just don't think it's likely to be more dangerous for the dentist who uses more to protect himself from infection (gloves, shield, surgical mask, etc.).

You made me laugh C&B with the last point.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:02 pm Everyone is glossing over the most pertinent point:

Making a living = essential. Period.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

so dumb

twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Walrus wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:22 pm Dentists gotta eat as well.

I can't claim to know with certainty that it's more dangerous to go to Costco than the dentist. You got me there. I just don't think it's likely to be more dangerous for the dentist who uses more to protect himself from infection (gloves, shield, surgical mask, etc.).

You made me laugh C&B with the last point.
There aren't many dentists out there living paycheck to paycheck. I have probably put at least one of my dentist's kids through college.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

HouseDivided wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:07 pm
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:02 pm Everyone is glossing over the most pertinent point:

Making a living = essential. Period.
Completely false.
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

I think the point is, none of us on here should be able to decide what is essential business.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Logic decides essential business.

But, you can’t fix stupidity with logic.