Where's the petri dish thread?

Coffee talk.
Geezer

Re: Where's the petri dish thread?

Post by Geezer »

Testing doesn't create sick people.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

I'll go explain it to a rock.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Geezer wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:33 pm In a world of 7 billion people this is still pretty insignificant.
Rich coming from this guy
Just Ledoux it
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

We really won’t know the mortality rate until this is over. But if you test positive, the death rate has been alarmingly high. If you do the simple math at World-o-meter, Pennsylvania has had about a 12-percent death rate compared to positive tests, for example. Which tells us that exhibiting symptoms actually helped get you tested and ultimately pushed the odds of survival significantly downward. And then there are the long-term injuries that may be permanent. A lot of people who “recover” still feel weak and ravaged. This disease was far worse than originally stipulated. And the summer isn’t really helping. Bad days continue.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Geezer wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:24 pm Testing doesn't create sick people.
By that logic a lack of tests heals people.

They had been only testing when the resulting care would change based on the outcome. Now anyone can get a test. So yes, the more mild cases are now being recorded.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:45 pm New cases don't mean much to me. Testing is increasing so much that it skews everything. Total hospitalizations and deaths is what matters.
Two questions.

New cases doesn't mean much TO YOU. Got it.
You probably feel it shouldn't mean much to anybody.
What about the 27,000 people who tested positive IN ONE DAY - and those they have been in contact with - should it (or should it not) mean much to them?

What exactly is "everything" that testing increasing skews?
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

Grandma wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:33 am
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:45 pm New cases don't mean much to me. Testing is increasing so much that it skews everything. Total hospitalizations and deaths is what matters.
Two questions.

New cases doesn't mean much TO YOU. Got it.
You probably feel it shouldn't mean much to anybody.
What about the 27,000 people who tested positive IN ONE DAY - and those they have been in contact with - should it (or should it not) mean much to them?

What exactly is "everything" that testing increasing skews?
Obviously new cases matter. But there has to be context to the numbers. % of positives seems more useful to me. Total hospitalizations seems more useful to me. Total deaths/daily deaths seems more useful to me. As testing increases and continues to increase rapidly (in many areas), it is logical/expected that total new cases will also increase. Is the increase of new cases proportionate to the increase in testing?

We aren't on opposite sides of this gutter. I feel just about the same as you on everything covid19 related from what I can tell. We're both doing the same types of things and want the same outcome I think.

The increase in testing skews the raw number of new cases if you're comparing it to a previous point in time. Assuming at that previous point in time was when testing was happening at a dramatically lower rate.

Sure 27,000 new cases in one day isn't good. But its to be expected as testing increases....had we been testing at this rate in April and May, we'd have been seeing these same numbers or worse most likely.

I'm not on the "other side" on this. Don't try to convince yourself that I am because I value other ways of gauging how much it is spreading currently other that just raw new positive case #s.

New positives have been up in my area, but total hospitalizations and % of positive to total tested is down. So that seems like a good thing?
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

TDub wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:17 pm
Geezer wrote: Sat Feb 08, 2020 9:33 pm In a world of 7 billion people this is still pretty insignificant.
February 8 Einstein.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Geezer wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:06 am
TDub wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:17 pm
February 8 Einstein.
Yep. You were an idiot on Feb 8 too, some things never change
Just Ledoux it
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

another 31,000+ today.
The good news is we have had over 1 million recovery's from the disease.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Deleted User 289

I have mentioned my nephew has worked for the former Lieutenant Governor and the former Governor of Massachusetts.

He wrote this tonight -
I have been to the Holyoke Soldiers Home on many occasions during my time working for the state 2007-2015. It was always a visit I looked forward to. Meeting veterans, hearing their ideas, and supporting continued progress.
The new report issued today is a demoralizing read. This situation could have, and should have been managed with more rapid action, more common sense, and more empathy. More investigations are still needed, accountability is needed, and families are owed answers and much more for their suffering.

https://www.mass.gov/doc/report-to-gove ... mJA8TelPTg
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Rex Chapman - angry pillhead and thief, who pissed away an NBA career - mocking and ridiculing others whom he sees as inferior to himself. Oh, the irony.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
Deleted User 289

HouseDivided wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:33 pm
Rex Chapman - angry pillhead and thief, who pissed away an NBA career - mocking and ridiculing others whom he sees as inferior to himself. Oh, the irony.
"Irony"? Really? You're the guy "mocking and ridiculing" the guy - who you feel is inferior to you.
Are you not?
I'm not sure how angry he is, I believe he is currently abstaining from pills but hey - you be you and find fault in those who were addicted to pain meds because they had multiple injuries and surgeries due to their entertaining people such as yourself - and who have overcome their addictions.
I'm not sure how he "pissed away an NBA career". He had injuries and played 13 seasons.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... r-feed-our
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

So comforting that Psych thinks this way AND allegedly earns his living helping people.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Rex Chapman is a pretty funny twitter user.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

jeepinjayhawk wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:11 pm
So comforting that Psych thinks this way AND allegedly earns his living helping people.
Part of helping people is confronting them with the incongruencies in their lives. Addicts are notorious for having an unrealistically superior view of themselves compared to others. No doubt Chapman has been through it on each of his trips through inpatient rehab. His tweets are a good indicator of why he still struggles.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Grandma wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:47 pm
"Irony"? Really? You're the guy "mocking and ridiculing" the guy - who you feel is inferior to you.
Are you not?
I'm not sure how angry he is, I believe he is currently abstaining from pills but hey - you be you and find fault in those who were addicted to pain meds because they had multiple injuries and surgeries due to their entertaining people such as yourself - and who have overcome their addictions.
I'm not sure how he "pissed away an NBA career". He had injuries and played 13 seasons.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... r-feed-our
That’s a pretty surface-level assessment of Chapman. I’m not going to get into his psychohistory - there’s a good starting point here: https://vault.si.com/vault/2015/07/27/d ... ex-chapman

I will say that his tweets are consistently of the same condescending nature that characterizes most of the libs’ posts here - implying that those who don’t see the world the way they do are inferior and worthy of contempt. Subhuman in many ways. If you’re going to put other people in a box like that, you should be prepared to be put in one yourself.
Last edited by HouseDivided on Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

You are completely full of shit.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Geezer wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:35 pm You are completely full of shit.
Shhhhhhh, it's best if you just let him finish....

https://youtu.be/7yEbUndTnUM