Where's the petri dish thread?

Coffee talk.
HouseDivided

Re: Where's the petri dish thread?

Post by HouseDivided »

Geezer wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:35 pm You are completely full of shit.
Your ignorance is showing more than usual.
“There are lies, damned lies, and statistics.” - Mark Twain
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

HouseDivided wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:21 pm
It's not his that is showing.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

A woman is raving lunacy and HD tries to pick apart a former NBA player who tweeted it.

Why is this on the petri thread though?
Because she doesn’t believe in reality?
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

HouseDivided wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:29 pm
jeepinjayhawk wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:11 pm
HouseDivided wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:33 pm

Rex Chapman - angry pillhead and thief, who pissed away an NBA career - mocking and ridiculing others whom he sees as inferior to himself. Oh, the irony.
So comforting that Psych thinks this way AND allegedly earns his living helping people.
Part of helping people is confronting them with the incongruencies in their lives. Addicts are notorious for having an unrealistically superior view of themselves compared to others. No doubt Chapman has been through it on each of his trips through inpatient rehab. His tweets are a good indicator of why he still struggles.
I don't know how much of your analysis is of your own logic or something you were taught but either way, my kind respect response is, huh?
My not kind and not respectful response is - what an ignorant generalization. I find it shocking coming from someone in the psych field.
Serious question. How much time have you spent with addicts? Not just one on one sessions with an addict. I'm talking group sessions, I'm talking spending considerable time with addicts in an in-patient and out-patient setting, I'm talking knowing them from before they were addicts, while they were addicts, and after they became sober.
I don't pretend to be an expert on addiction but I've lived it for many years. I'm not going to elaborate but I am going to say in my experience/s, the majority of addicts have FAR from "an unrealistically superior view of themselves compared to others".
Deleted User 289

HouseDivided wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:34 pm
Grandma wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:47 pm
HouseDivided wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:33 pm

Rex Chapman - angry pillhead and thief, who pissed away an NBA career - mocking and ridiculing others whom he sees as inferior to himself. Oh, the irony.
"Irony"? Really? You're the guy "mocking and ridiculing" the guy - who you feel is inferior to you.
Are you not?
I'm not sure how angry he is, I believe he is currently abstaining from pills but hey - you be you and find fault in those who were addicted to pain meds because they had multiple injuries and surgeries due to their entertaining people such as yourself - and who have overcome their addictions.
I'm not sure how he "pissed away an NBA career". He had injuries and played 13 seasons.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... r-feed-our
That’s a pretty surface-level assessment of Chapman. I’m not going to get into his psychohistory - there’s a good starting point here: https://vault.si.com/vault/2015/07/27/d ... ex-chapman

I will say that his tweets are consistently of the same condescending nature that characterizes most of the libs’ posts here - implying that those who don’t see the world the way they do are inferior and worthy of contempt. Subhuman in many ways. If you’re going to put other people in a box like that, you should be prepared to be put in one yourself.
Obviously the majority of posters on this site are libs. That being said, I find a strong majority of what is posted in a "condescending nature" - is justified. Those being ridiculed are deserving of ridicule.
That being said, of course there are libs who are more than deserving of ridicule themselves.
This is just me and I am only speaking for myself. I have friends who I feel are too strong to the left and I have friends that I feel are too strong to the right. To the point of blindness and ignorance. The "condescending nature" of what they spew is pretty much on an equal level. The difference is those on the right tend to do it in a a more snarky manner while those on the left do it in a more giddy manner. Like I said, that's MY experience/s. I'm sure it's different for others.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

From my ( and likely not as extensive as others ) history with people with addictions, I have found the opposite, where they do not have a superior view of themselves.
Deleted User 318

Post by Deleted User 318 »

pdub wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:58 am A woman is raving lunacy and HD tries to pick apart a former NBA player who tweeted it.

Why is this on the petri thread though?
Because she doesn’t believe in reality?
"Petri-dish pads help women harvest their vaginal bacteria"

https://www.fastcompany.com/4012901/if- ... microbiome
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

That's more like it.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Grandma wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:21 am
jeepinjayhawk wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:11 pm

So comforting that Psych thinks this way AND allegedly earns his living helping people.
Part of helping people is confronting them with the incongruencies in their lives. Addicts are notorious for having an unrealistically superior view of themselves compared to others. No doubt Chapman has been through it on each of his trips through inpatient rehab. His tweets are a good indicator of why he still struggles.
I don't know how much of your analysis is of your own logic or something you were taught but either way, my kind respect response is, huh?
My not kind and not respectful response is - what an ignorant generalization. I find it shocking coming from someone in the psych field.
Serious question. How much time have you spent with addicts? Not just one on one sessions with an addict. I'm talking group sessions, I'm talking spending considerable time with addicts in an in-patient and out-patient setting, I'm talking knowing them from before they were addicts, while they were addicts, and after they became sober.
I don't pretend to be an expert on addiction but I've lived it for many years. I'm not going to elaborate but I am going to say in my experience/s, the majority of addicts have FAR from "an unrealistically superior view of themselves compared to others".
About ten years' experience, inpatient and outpatient. Post-graduate specialization and certification. It is an interesting phenomenon with self-esteem: an old supervisor of mine used to say that an addict is "an egomaniac with an inferiority complex," meaning that it is a person who sees himsef/herself as inadequate and incapable of functioning without a substance, but who also believes that they are somehow special and not held to the rules that the rest of us follow. Hard to explain, but easy to spot, once you know what you are looking for.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Grandma wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:33 am
HouseDivided wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:34 pm
Grandma wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:47 pm

"Irony"? Really? You're the guy "mocking and ridiculing" the guy - who you feel is inferior to you.
Are you not?
I'm not sure how angry he is, I believe he is currently abstaining from pills but hey - you be you and find fault in those who were addicted to pain meds because they had multiple injuries and surgeries due to their entertaining people such as yourself - and who have overcome their addictions.
I'm not sure how he "pissed away an NBA career". He had injuries and played 13 seasons.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... r-feed-our
That’s a pretty surface-level assessment of Chapman. I’m not going to get into his psychohistory - there’s a good starting point here: https://vault.si.com/vault/2015/07/27/d ... ex-chapman

I will say that his tweets are consistently of the same condescending nature that characterizes most of the libs’ posts here - implying that those who don’t see the world the way they do are inferior and worthy of contempt. Subhuman in many ways. If you’re going to put other people in a box like that, you should be prepared to be put in one yourself.
Obviously the majority of posters on this site are libs. That being said, I find a strong majority of what is posted in a "condescending nature" - is justified. Those being ridiculed are deserving of ridicule.
That being said, of course there are libs who are more than deserving of ridicule themselves.
This is just me and I am only speaking for myself. I have friends who I feel are too strong to the left and I have friends that I feel are too strong to the right. To the point of blindness and ignorance. The "condescending nature" of what they spew is pretty much on an equal level. The difference is those on the right tend to do it in a a more snarky manner while those on the left do it in a more giddy manner. Like I said, that's MY experience/s. I'm sure it's different for others.
Spoken like a true liberal: "I believe in acceptance and inclusiveness, unless you disagree with me."
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

jeepinjayhawk wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:55 pm
HouseDivided wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:21 pm
It's not his that is showing.
You're equally as ignorant as he is on this topic. Give it a rest.
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

HouseDivided wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:08 am
Grandma wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:21 am

About ten years' experience, inpatient and outpatient. Post-graduate specialization and certification. It is an interesting phenomenon with self-esteem: an old supervisor of mine used to say that an addict is "an egomaniac with an inferiority complex," meaning that it is a person who sees himsef/herself as inadequate and incapable of functioning without a substance, but who also believes that they are somehow special and not held to the rules that the rest of us follow. Hard to explain, but easy to spot, once you know what you are looking for.
My experience around addicts who are far more successful in life than you could ever even think of being, is that they pay attention to those like gutter who have "walked the walk and talked the talk" and have little respect for those like you who want to make money from ineffective treatment.

They will get up in the middle of the night and go sit with an acquaintance whose mother called and said he'd fallen off the wagon. A neighbor of mine has a son who has been a pretty hopeless alcoholic and when she tried to get him into treatment in October, the local health department said they could see in in February. I called someone like Gutter, who came in an hour and arranged for someone to take him to a meeting the next day. He has fallen off the wagon numerous times in the year and a half since then, but another Gutter-type person has always been willing to try and help him, and it seems like he may have finally found that turning point to sobriety.

They also have humility and compassion--qualities that gutter seems to be displaying. So stop with the psychobabble about something you're truly not an expert about and if you really want to help addicts, listen to what Gutter is saying.
Don't inject Lysol.
Deleted User 289

1st "task force" briefing in 2 months today.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

Grandma wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:04 am 1st "task force" briefing in 2 months today.
Thank God! Nobody ever got sick or died of anything before COVID came along. We need to be told to go back indoors until the economy completely tanks, er . . . it’s safe again.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Some may react to that and think, man we really could use more and better leadership for our country during a pandemic.

Psych reacts with sarcastic hyperbole.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

HouseDivided wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:30 am
Grandma wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:04 am 1st "task force" briefing in 2 months today.
Thank God! Nobody ever got sick or died of anything before COVID came along. We need to be told to go back indoors until the economy completely tanks, er . . . it’s safe again.
You said you are a psychologist. I'm sure you have a lot of textbooks on this topic. Can you please look up the definition of 'sociopath'?
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

zsn wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:47 am
You said you are a psychologist. I'm sure you have a lot of textbooks on this topic. Can you please look up the definition of 'sociopath'?
Look over Sea’s body of work here and you’ll get an excellent working definition. See also, Clinton, Hillary Rodham, Gates, Bill, or Epstein, Jeffrey.
HouseDivided

Post by HouseDivided »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:45 am Some may react to that and think, man we really could use more and better leadership for our country during a pandemic.

Psych reacts with sarcastic hyperbole.
By “leadership” you mean things like Fauci admitting that he initially lied about people not needing to wear masks because there was a shortage and he wanted to make sure there were enough for medical professionals? Speaking of sociopathy.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Real leadership would have proactively ensured America had masks in the first place, if they hadn’t even more proactively mitigated things even more yet.

and I just KNEW you wouldn’t be able to define sociopathy without mentioning Cankles, lol sigh.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

HouseDivided wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:15 pm
zsn wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:47 am

Look over Sea’s body of work here and you’ll get an excellent working definition. See also, Clinton, Hillary Rodham, Gates, Bill, or Epstein, Jeffrey.
Gates? Ohhhhh, you're a Q follower. Makes sense.