George Floyd and the Ensuing Protests

Ugh.
Deleted User 289

Re: George Floyd and the Ensuing Protests

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Do people think/know if he intentionally hit them?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Grandma wrote: Sun Jul 05, 2020 2:44 pm Do people think/know if he intentionally hit them?
If they know, I haven't seen it printed yet. All I have seen is "no motive" and some online speculation. Sounds like he might have driven the wrong way up an off ramp to get up on the closed highway so he likely didn't find himself there accidentally. Beyond that, who knows yet.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

That was no accident.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

https://www.opb.org/news/article/federa ... rotesters/

Jeep's buddies snatch and grab off the streets in Portland.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Geezer wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:09 am https://www.opb.org/news/article/federa ... rotesters/

Add it to the list of...what, now many dozens?...of things that would be the defining scandal of any other administration.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:14 am
Geezer wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:09 am https://www.opb.org/news/article/federa ... rotesters/

Add it to the list of...what, now many dozens?...of things that would be the defining scandal of any other administration.
Honestly, I feel like I am in the fucking Twilight Zone. I can't believe shit like this is going on while othwrwise intelligent people act like morons by protesting wearing fucking masks.
Deleted User 318

Post by Deleted User 318 »

Flooding the zone. We don't have the attention span to follow all the scandals, the left already hate him, the right is cheering the bad acts on. Plus, Trump literally said he was going to do this on Weds.

President Donald Trump says announcement coming on dealing with crime in Chicago, other Democrat-run cities

https://www.chicagotribune.com/politics ... story.html
President Donald Trump on Wednesday vaguely referenced an upcoming announcement on how his administration intends to deal with crime in Democrat-led cities, again citing Chicago’s violence as a problem he will tackle.

In a briefing with reporters about his ongoing efforts to deal with the MS-13 gang, Trump said he would have more to say next week “with the attorney general, the FBI and others concerning our cities, because the left-wing group of people that are running our cities are not doing the job that they’re supposed to be doing, and it’s not a very tough job to do if they knew what they were doing.”

He later said, “We’re going to straighten things out” in cities where leaders have lost control but did not offer specifics....
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

Interesting. Too many dumb whites trying to speak for blacks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U71Yy5B8ghw
Last edited by Walrus on Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
"This whole thing was a big dick-waving contest, it's just that my dick was bigger than yours."
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

NiceDC wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:27 am

Flooding the zone. We don't have the attention span to follow all the scandals, the left already hate him, the right is cheering the bad acts on. Plus, Trump literally said he was going to do this on Weds.

President Donald Trump says announcement coming on dealing with crime in Chicago, other Democrat-run cities

President Donald Trump on Wednesday vaguely referenced an upcoming announcement on how his administration intends to deal with crime in Democrat-led cities, again citing Chicago’s violence as a problem he will tackle.

In a briefing with reporters about his ongoing efforts to deal with the MS-13 gang, Trump said he would have more to say next week “with the attorney general, the FBI and others concerning our cities, because the left-wing group of people that are running our cities are not doing the job that they’re supposed to be doing, and it’s not a very tough job to do if they knew what they were doing.”

He later said, “We’re going to straighten things out” in cities where leaders have lost control but did not offer specifics....
And again I'll say: if this is what he does now, in an election year, what's off the table in a lame-duck second term?

The answer is nothing. Nothing would be off the table. Not doing away with term limits, Putin- or Xi-style. Not paving the way for a free-election-less transfer of power to Jared/Ivanka.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

So glad to hear our federal law enforcement is being used to illegally detain US citizens so that we can straighten out that huge graffiti problem.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:37 am

And again I'll say: if this is what he does now, in an election year, what's off the table in a lame-duck second term?

The answer is nothing. Nothing would be off the table. Not doing away with term limits, Putin- or Xi-style. Not paving the way for a free-election-less transfer of power to Jared/Ivanka.
That's as nutty as saying that COVID is all part of a Plandemic beginning of a One World Government takeover where we will all get microchipped by our COVID vaccinations so we can be tracked and controlled.
Deleted User 318

I don't fear the lame duck period as much as you. We've been the proverbial frog long enough that I think most of us are pretty numb to the warming water. But if he wins, that means that's what this country wants, and so be it. Four more years of chaos. But based on the 2018 mid-terms, and well, basically the last four years, I have hope that we have another super old white guy calling the shots in January. I'm more curious what that other super old white guy does when his mouthpiece is taken away. Oh, and reading all the palace intrigue books that are going to flood the marker. Buy stock in Simon & Schuster.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

NiceDC wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:50 am I don't fear the lame duck period as much as you. We've been the proverbial frog long enough that I think most of us are pretty numb to the warming water. But if he wins, that means that's what this country wants, and so be it. Four more years of chaos. But based on the 2018 mid-terms, and well, basically the last four years, I have hope that we have another super old white guy calling the shots in January. I'm more curious what that other super old white guy does when his mouthpiece is taken away. Oh, and reading all the palace intrigue books that are going to flood the marker. Buy stock in Simon & Schuster.
If you believe this, I've got some magic beans to offer you.

Goya, of course.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Well, it would mean that’s what some slim electoral majority wants.

And what they want, I’m not entirely sure, and don’t think they quite know for sure either, besides just being a bunch of stubborn assholes to anyone who thinks or wants better? #maga
Last edited by ousdahl on Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 318

Hey, people vote, and based on my time in rural areas, he's still very popular. People are willing to overlook the crazy to realize he is the billionaire for the people. And if people want to be duped to think they are the people he cares about, so be it.

I'm extremely against the electoral college, as it already proved to have failed us (RIP 73), but also I agree to play by the rules set out for all of us. If he gets 270, we may not like how he came about it, but he would have won fair and square. The decisive message and voter suppression isn't new. It's just new to some of us.

Also, if anyone is interested, I finally finished Nixonland by Rick Perlstein last month. It was published May 2008, but it was beat for beat the same stuff going on from this current administration. It feels like a reactionary piece against Trump. Highly recommend. I picked up the rest of Perlstein's catalog, and pre-ordered his forthcoming Reaganland that comes out next month.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

NiceDC wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:14 pm Hey, people vote, and based on my time in rural areas, he's still very popular. People are willing to overlook the crazy to realize he is the billionaire for the people. And if people want to be duped to think they are the people he cares about, so be it.

I'm extremely against the electoral college, as it already proved to have failed us (RIP 73), but also I agree to play by the rules set out for all of us. If he gets 270, we may not like how he came about it, but he would have won fair and square. The decisive message and voter suppression isn't new. It's just new to some of us.

Also, if anyone is interested, I finally finished Nixonland by Rick Perlstein last month. It was published May 2008, but it was beat for beat the same stuff going on from this current administration. It feels like a reactionary piece against Trump. Highly recommend. I picked up the rest of Perlstein's catalog, and pre-ordered his forthcoming Reaganland that comes out next month.
This is some powerful repression.

He didn't win fair and square last time around. He's openly committed to dirty pool this time around.

If he works his way to 270+, that should not, in and of itself, be seen as the conclusive will of the people (or even of the states).
Deleted User 318

I mean, that's electoral college and political parties in a nutshell. Trump thread the needle with less than 80,000 people (.024% of the country's population) and was able to say the right words in Penn, Wisconsin and Michigan. Democrats cleared the field for Hillary, while Trump had to battle through his primary. There's a lot that had to happen right (or wrong) for Trump to get elected. But people did vote, and voted for Trump. I'm not blaming anything but the antiquated rules that everyone knew before the election started. I find 2000 Florida more appalling than Trump's 2016 campaign.

Hopefully National Popular Vote Interstate Compact gets more steam with the blue wave likely coming after the 2020 election. Or, just abolish the electoral college. Would be nice to open up the country to the electoral process instead of 7-8 states.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

NiceDC wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:59 pm I mean, that's electoral college and political parties in a nutshell. Trump thread the needle with less than 80,000 people (.024% of the country's population) and was able to say the right words in Penn, Wisconsin and Michigan. Democrats cleared the field for Hillary, while Trump had to battle through his primary. There's a lot that had to happen right (or wrong) for Trump to get elected. But people did vote, and voted for Trump. I'm not blaming anything but the antiquated rules that everyone knew before the election started. I find 2000 Florida more appalling than Trump's 2016 campaign.

Hopefully National Popular Vote Interstate Compact gets more steam with the blue wave likely coming after the 2020 election. Or, just abolish the electoral college. Would be nice to open up the country to the electoral process instead of 7-8 states.
..."say the right words?"

It seems (Russia) to me that you're (Russia) leaving a very (Russia) significant factor (Russia) out.

Russia.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

aaaand this time around, I can only imagine Trump feels even more empowered, considering it was less than 6 months ago when the Senate said it was totally cool for him to solicit foreign interference in our elections?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

NiceDC wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:59 pm I mean, that's electoral college and political parties in a nutshell. Trump thread the needle with less than 80,000 people (.024% of the country's population) and was able to say the right words in Penn, Wisconsin and Michigan. Democrats cleared the field for Hillary, while Trump had to battle through his primary. There's a lot that had to happen right (or wrong) for Trump to get elected. But people did vote, and voted for Trump. I'm not blaming anything but the antiquated rules that everyone knew before the election started. I find 2000 Florida more appalling than Trump's 2016 campaign.

I think Trump is going to drop a lot of key states that he won in 16. I dont see this being much of a contest. It's only a contest at all due to "Murica" and Biden.