F the NCAA

Kansas Basketball.
Sparko
Contributor

Re: F the NCAA

Post by Sparko »

Gqcolorado wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 6:06 pm Again, I don’t disagree, but saying ‘it’s how everyone played the game’ is the absolute worst.

Other kids were doing it. I hate that shit.
It really was a way the NCAA could attract NBA level talent so they allowed intermediary corporate actors to make it happen as long as sausage was made covertly. It became permissible because it was permitted; thus everyone did it, but still only a few benefited meaningfully. That is why the investigation is a deflection of the NCAA’s actual role. When this became known, they needed to own their culpability. “We, the NCAA knew this was the way of recruiting in the one and done era. We accept responsibility and have changed the way we will monitor athletic companies, reps, and corporate money going forward.” But instead, they looked for scapegoats while protecting the viability of a few select institutions who actually signed Williamson and others.

It is now Kafka level insinuation and capriciousness.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

Except they can't just say they knew it was that way in the one and done era. It was a common practice that was fairly well known for decades before that.
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

NDballer13 wrote: Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:25 am Except they can't just say they knew it was that way in the one and done era. It was a common practice that was fairly well known for decades before that.
Blue chips came out before the 1 and done era. So did he got game.

Jay Bilas has been open and honest about his feelings on the topic even dating back to his playing days long before the one and done era.
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

My best friend likes to tell me a story about Wilt.

When asked how Wilt ended up at Kansas when he was from Philly, he replied simply, "I didn't know who Benjamin Franklin was before I was recruited to KU. Then I was handed an envelope full of paper with his picture on it."
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Yeah he apparently got like $4,000 or something like that to go to KU. He had payments coming to him monthly as well from "Godfathers" aka boosters.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

You guys really had to post that here?

Now the NCAA is gonna open up a whole new investigation on a player from like 60 years ago.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

I mean, ya never know. Didn't the original allegations reference the Larry Brown years? That seems like so long ago, so I may not remember it all.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

I think we spent a year on probation from Wilt.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Zion’s dad, $400k

Duke, “Nothing to see here”
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Zion’s camp says it’s fraudulent?

(Did they come out and say all the luxury SUVs were fraudulent too?)

Either way, there’s more smoke around that dude than Billy and Silvio combined.
NDballer13

Post by NDballer13 »

Smoke? You can see the flame in Zion's case.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

so if these latest allegations are fraudulent, it’s gotta be a pretty yuge fraud/defamation case in the works, right?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

NDballer13 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:38 pm Smoke? You can see the flame in Zion's case.
as long as we also get to see his 6th grade report card.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

You get a full season taken away from Memphis for one player cheating on his test.
You get no punishment for UNC for 19 years of hundreds of players cheating on hundreds of tests.

Kansas is partially in trouble for Adidas offering Zion 100k.
Duke is not in trouble for a marketing agency GIVING him 400k.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Memphis should have argued, but NON-student athletes can cheat on their tests too!
Deleted User 310

I think duke will get in trouble for this. Nothing happens quickly. It took a long time for us to get our NOA.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

I think there is a decent chance the NCAA as we currently know it - is done after 2021.
They want to take this shit to court/s, they will get fucked and a whole new set of rules will have to be put in to place. College athletics will never be the same.
On another note, due to COVID-19, colleges and college athletics are in a whole shit load of trouble right now.
Will be interesting to see how everything plays out in the school next year.
Deleted User 310

KC Phogushers may be the only game in town sooner than we expected.

With big 10 going to conference only, i think there is a non zero chance basketball is cancelled altogether this season if we dont get shit turned around in a hurry.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

https://twitter.com/tsnmike/status/1292 ... 08704?s=21

I think Mike (who I generally like) is missing the point.

If the NCAA (the National Collegiate Athletic Association) isn’t here to run the college part...or the athletics part...just what are we doing here?
Deleted User 310

jfish26 wrote: Mon Aug 10, 2020 6:22 am https://twitter.com/tsnmike/status/1292 ... 08704?s=21

I think Mike (who I generally like) is missing the point.

If the NCAA (the National Collegiate Athletic Association) isn’t here to run the college part...or the athletics part...just what are we doing here?
They are there to make the money?