Redskins

Kansas Football.
Deleted User 141

Re: Redskins

Post by Deleted User 141 »

I’ve not argued the Chiefs need to change their name.

But, it’s just a name. Bullets to Wizards. Wizards to SKC (but that was a purposeful rebrand, which some might chose to ignore). I’m sure there are others.

I also have experience living on a military installation that might have its name changed. Does that change or take away remembrances I have from living there? Absolutely not.

And, back to Chiefs. I think it’s more likely they would one day be forced to change things based on the chant and chop. But, ‘tradition’.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:37 am
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:31 am I just don't see any resemblance between the Chiefs and the Washington Racial Slurs and the Indians and others. It's different when the logo has the imagery as well. Like Cleveland had with Chief Wahoo, like Washington does now and many others. The Chiefs have a Arrowhead rock with KC in the middle and that's it. No other resemblance to Native American cultures. Yeah Chief Wahoo was removed, but the Indians name is still there and I don't hear much about it today. I'd say Indians is far more offensive and derogatory than Chiefs. It's all about the logos in my estimation when it's not a blatant racial slur in the name like Washington. And the Chiefs have nothing wrong with their logo in my eyes and I think the name is just a name.

It's been widely known that the name was in part because of the Mayor of KC at the time, named The Chief. It's just jackass fans that do the Native American dress and the like that make it an issue.
Agreed. Florida State, if I'm not mistaken, has kind of shown how to do this correctly.

FWIW, I've heard rumblings of a movement to do away with "Indians." I can understand that point.
I still crack up at a picture a few years back of 2 sad fans with face paint and a headdress at a Florida State game when they were getting whooped. They looked so ridiculous. Those are the types of people that need to GTFO.

I also say all this while a guy who I played college football with has front row season tickets to Chiefs games and he's often on camera a ton because of his attire with the paint and all that. I think he looks so dumb.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

There's levels of sacred.
I imagine people who have followed the Chiefs their whole lives have feelings/memories tied to the Chiefs name.
Same thing as if you changed the Kansas Jayhawks name and mascot - i'd be livid - but others not invested would be like, what's the big deal, it's just a name?
shindig

Post by shindig »

pdub wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:57 pm There's levels of sacred.
I imagine people who have followed the Chiefs their whole lives have feelings/memories tied to the Chiefs name.
Same thing as if you changed the Kansas Jayhawks name and mascot - i'd be livid - but others not invested would be like, what's the big deal, it's just a name?
Yep. I would imagine the Chiefs won't be pressured to change their name...maybe the tomahawk chop, but that's the fans, how do you stop that? In the end, it's a freaking game. I guess when we start playing Mizzou again, it won't be the "Border War", but something PC...so sick of these Karen's and Ken's.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

shindig wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:04 pm
Yep. I would imagine the Chiefs won't be pressured to change their name...maybe the tomahawk chop, but that's the fans, how do you stop that? In the end, it's a freaking game. I guess when we start playing Mizzou again, it won't be the "Border War", but something PC...so sick of these Karen's and Ken's.
Speaking of. I HATE how KU announced the series as the Border Showdown and Missouri announced it as the Border War.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

"so sick of these Karen's and Ken's."

I don't agree with so much of what extreme right tends to argue but whatever you want to call it - cancel culture/PC/'progress' - is a subject I would lean towards the right on.

It's silly.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

I’ve been a Chiefs fan my whole life, I still wouldn’t be bothered if they changed their name.
shindig

Post by shindig »

Cascadia wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:26 pm I’ve been a Chiefs fan my whole life, I still wouldn’t be bothered if they changed their name.
So, the CEO of every company is no longer "Chief" Executive Officer, or what about the CFO? Or how about the Chief Commander in Charge? Where does it end?
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:38 am
NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:36 am
Gqcolorado wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:27 am It’s dumb. I was a Houston Oilers fan and have no less hard time rooting for the Tennessee Oilers, Err, Tennessee Titans.
I think name changes when relocating makes complete sense. It's an entire rebrand of that franchise. As you mentioned, Oilers to Titans. Browns to Ravens, etc.
When people clutch ridiculously tightly to inconsequential things such as pro sports nicknames, you end up with dumbass results like the Utah Jazz.
Maybe I shouldn't have, but I laughed at this.
Defense. Rebounds.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Also funny that a Vikings fan and a Titans fan are trying to tell Chiefs fans how they should feel about their team.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

I’m not a Vikings or Titans fan
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

But you’re a pessimist.
Deleted User 141

I find humor in the use of sacred to defend a sports team’s traditions within this thread’s context.
Deleted User 141

pdub wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:54 pm Also funny that a Vikings fan and a Titans fan are trying to tell Chiefs fans how they should feel about their team.
I haven’t said anything about how you should feel about your team. Don’t think CnB has either.

You have a strange reaction to anyone not ‘with you’ as being ‘against you’.

The chant and the chop are fucked up. Although, I’m sure many from backwoods Missouri and places similar might disagree.
Deleted User 141

pdub wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 4:11 pm "so sick of these Karen's and Ken's."

I don't agree with so much of what extreme right tends to argue but whatever you want to call it - cancel culture/PC/'progress' - is a subject I would lean towards the right on.

It's silly.
Agree with this for sure.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Also not a pessimist, just don’t attach myself to mascots. The one exception would be the Jayhawks but that’s because it’s a dope ass mascot. All other sports teams I follow/like.......meh
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Chant and chop were stolen from Florida State.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Loosing the chop wouldn’t bother me all that much - like loosing the vintage display at Allen - but good luck stopping it. It’s not prompted by the team—the fans spontaneously do it.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Gqcolorado wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:14 pm
I find humor in the use of sacred to defend a sports team’s traditions within this thread’s context.
As I said, there are levels of it.
The strict definition is related to God or spirituality. But the word sacred has changed enough in that it’s relatable to sports—to be very important/loved/a passion.

Allen Fieldhouse is sacred to me. If someone tore it down and built a new arena, I’d be pretty upset.
The Jayhawks are sacred to me. If we had to change our name because x amount of people were offended, i'd be pretty upset.
I think most people here have this level of sacred as they are posting on a Kansas message board - so it shouldn't be that difficult for them to make the leap that a lifelong fan of a team could be attached to the name and logo.
Deleted User 141

Yeah, I understand the uses of sacred too. It’s still funny when juxtaposed onto this particular subject.

And, regarding being attached to name and logo. I’ve never argued that the chiefs name or logo should be changed.