Mahomie

Kansas Football.
NewtonHawk11

Re: Mahomie

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

If I understand correctly (and I probably don't) he gets like $170M guaranteed for injury. So the Chiefs will ultimately save in that scenario.

But yeah he gave up a ton of leverage on the back end. He's going to be raking in money during the first 5-7 years, but will not be the highest paid player as he enters his 30s.

I think that's what he wanted though. He wanted a friendly deal in the long run. He wanted paid now, but when his career starts to wind down a bit, the Chiefs will have more money available for better weapons around him.

His contract will be a year by year contract in essence. It's not fully guaranteed. So while he did sign a $450M deal, he might not make it to $500M. This article explains a lot of details and things to watch for.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... -contract/
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Deleted User 318

Post by Deleted User 318 »

I’m more worried about a reoccurring injury where he can play a season, but is never the same. I haven’t dug into the contract but I assume that $170 mil, which is still massive in itself, is if he’s out. Not a nagging shoulder injury.
shindig

Post by shindig »

NiceDC wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:43 am I’m more worried about a reoccurring injury where he can play a season, but is never the same. I haven’t dug into the contract but I assume that $170 mil, which is still massive in itself, is if he’s out. Not a nagging shoulder injury.
Yep. One hit like Alex Smith took and he'll never be the same, especially since he scrambles quite a bit. But he is pretty elusive, so I'm more worried about a hit from his blind side.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Let's just hope that he actually gets better season by season.
That'd be something.
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

The Mahomie is a phenomenon. He is the new face for he NFL. He just gave us the most memorable and exciting playoff run anyone can remember. Part of the season I spent out in Colorado among Raiders and Broncos fans. They hate the Chiefs and to a person they all added the caveat that they enjoyed watching Mahomie play because every game you knew he might do something you never saw a football player do before. The real litmus test is my wife. She hates football and never watched before Mahomie showed up. "You are going to watch the Chiefs again today", was her Sunday chant. His 4th regular season start against the 49er's hooked her. He ran across the field to avoid a sack, spun and reversed direction, then on dead run he fires a dart for TD. I yell "holy shit!". She says, "Is that normal? I mean can other players do that?". I didn't realize she was watching, I thought she was just sitting in the living room enduring the game. They show replay and she is again amazed, "that was impressive". Announcers agree.

The next year I am watching the Super Bowl in Monte Vista with Defixione in a bar full of Chiefs haters and Mahomie pulls the rabbit out of the hat. My wife texts me from back in KC, "WTF, I am sitting here watching the game with the dogs and I am crying?". She still hates football but she watches the Mahomie every weekend. The kid is the best personality in the game, he is cocky and he has the talent to back it up.

The rest of the NFL ought to chip in $10M a year to add to his salary for the fans he draws to the TV every week.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:18 am If I understand correctly (and I probably don't) he gets like $170M guaranteed for injury. So the Chiefs will ultimately save in that scenario.

But yeah he gave up a ton of leverage on the back end. He's going to be raking in money during the first 5-7 years, but will not be the highest paid player as he enters his 30s.

I think that's what he wanted though. He wanted a friendly deal in the long run. He wanted paid now, but when his career starts to wind down a bit, the Chiefs will have more money available for better weapons around him.

His contract will be a year by year contract in essence. It's not fully guaranteed. So while he did sign a $450M deal, he might not make it to $500M. This article explains a lot of details and things to watch for.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... -contract/
As I read into the deal further, there really is a component of it that is effectively tied to the cap. In the 2025 offseason (meaning the one where the draft is in April 2025), there is one opportunity for the Chiefs to cut him (or renegotiate) before the annual cap hits (locked in 18 months prior to each season from 2026 and beyond) reach and then exceed the $50mm mark.

I presume the idea here is that, if the cap has not gone up in such a way as to make those 2026 and beyond cap hits workable, something will happen.

If, though, $50mm is the going rate for a QB then (which it might well be; watch the status of Watson and the rest), then you have a still-prime QB1 for the going rate.
shindig

Post by shindig »

Chiefs to make a big announcement in 5 minutes....Chris Jones signed?
Deleted User 318

Post by Deleted User 318 »

shindig wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:56 am Chiefs to make a big announcement in 5 minutes....Chris Jones signed?
Changing the team name.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

shindig wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:56 am Chiefs to make a big announcement in 5 minutes....Chris Jones signed?
Haven't seen anything yet.. Where'd you get this?
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

shindig

Post by shindig »

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:28 am
Haven't seen anything yet.. Where'd you get this?
I heard it on Fox4 news as they were going off the air, said the Chiefs have a big announcement at 10...at least I thought they said at 10.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Reduces capacity at Arrowhead?
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Reduced capacity at Arrowhead this year. If there's football.

LVCHawk

Post by LVCHawk »

So they could realistically get 25% of the crowd in? Just guessing. They'd most likely try to fit as many as possible in the lower bowl for TV, maybe they sell groups of tickets that can sit close to each other like a family and then the next group is 6-10 feet away? Wearing masks shouldn't be a problem for football since it will be cold anyways.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

I would happily make sacrifices if someone was going to give me 500 million to play football but.......

https://www.foxbusiness.com/sports/patr ... aFlW6dsg78
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Just for on-the-field stuff alone, that contract was probably light.

And just about every single public data point suggests he's 100% the sort of guy you want to hitch your star to.

https://www.gq.com/story/patrick-mahome ... ugust-2020
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Just read the article. The 50 years of shitty times being a Chiefs fan is suddenly forgotten because of Mahomes and he's going to be in KC for a long damn time.

He's humble but confident and cocky. Team player who talks about them more than himself. Biggest star KC has EVER had, and seems insanely approachable and just a good dude.

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Injury is by far the biggest concern, just because of the nature of the position.

I am not worried about complacency with him.

So distraction is the last big threat. And I think it's important to note that he could have done everything he's doing this offseason, last offseason, and chose not to.
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

I’ve never seen him be cocky. Confident and self-assured, but not cocky.