Opening schools safely

Coffee talk.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: Opening schools safely

Post by jfish26 »

sdoyel wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:50 am I put this in another thread, but look what we are dealing with:

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1281 ... 01856?s=21

Fortunately my 4yo son doesn’t start Kindergarten until Fall 2021. Still, he lost half of his preschool year last year. I’m concerned for him, but he’s in the same boat as everyone else.
If you think high school graduates have been unprepared for college and the real world over the last 5-10 years...lookout!
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

My oldest is supposed to start preschool this year. That wont be happening....which, is a shame, she was very excited.

CnB, wish you the best man. Hope things settle down and you dont have to worry about all of that.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:06 am Very sore subject right now. If KU goes full online (a very nonzero chance), because of the Trump admin's infinite wisdom, my household will just uproot our lives and careers and be forced back to our home country. No problem.

Wonder if we'll get paid back on the bill for the 100's of 1000's of dollars of tuition paid, grant money secured on behalf of a public institution, and of course, tax dollars paid.
Care to elaborate why or more on situation? Where are you from? I was unaware. Nbd if not, just being nosey (I think others know your situation better than me so I couldn't fill in the gaps). I'm so sorry that you're going thru that/this uncertainty...makes me worrying about whether to send my 1st grader to school sort of insignificant.
Last edited by Deleted User 310 on Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
thekid6
Contributor

Post by thekid6 »

Teacher here:

My district sent out guidelines yesterday that students (really, parents of students) have 2 choices:

100% in-person education

OR

100% virtual (read- online) learning

I report back August 12th and it's really tbd at this point.
Don't give up, don't ever give up. -Jimmy V
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:29 am
CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:06 am Very sore subject right now. If KU goes full online (a very nonzero chance), because of the Trump admin's infinite wisdom, my household will just uproot our lives and careers and be forced back to our home country. No problem.

Wonder if we'll get paid back on the bill for the 100's of 1000's of dollars of tuition paid, grant money secured on behalf of a public institution, and of course, tax dollars paid.
Care to elaborate why or more on situation? Where are you from? I was unaware. Nbd if not, just being nosey (I think others know your situation better than me so I couldn't fill in the gaps). I'm so sorry that you're going thru that/this uncertainty...makes me worrying about whether to send my 1st grader to school sort of insignificant.
The gaps and my thoughts are pretty well summed up in the angry responses by the 100's of universities around the country.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

sdoyel wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:50 am I put this in another thread, but look what we are dealing with:

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1281 ... 01856?s=21

Fortunately my 4yo son doesn’t start Kindergarten until Fall 2021. Still, he lost half of his preschool year last year. I’m concerned for him, but he’s in the same boat as everyone else.
This administration has mastered the art of talking for 10 minutes while not actually saying a fucking thing.
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

Daily.
Don't inject Lysol.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
japhy
Contributor

Post by japhy »

"We still don’t know whether children can get it and transmit it to others," Cornyn said in an interview Thursday with NBC 5.

Well then; let's put tens of millions of children in close quarters together and let's find out once and for all!

THIS is how you conduct a scientific experiment on a massive scale folks! The moral and ethical ramifications be damned. We need to know, and we need to know before November 3!

Good luck to all of you parents of school aged children out there. This is the most fucked up thing I have ever seen. Every time I think they have hit rock bottom this administration finds a way to create another circle of hell.
I saw the worst minds of my generation empowered by madness, bloated farcical naked,
dragging themselves through the whitewashed streets at dawn looking for a grievance fix.
Deleted User 62

How has the entire GOP become so fucking stupid?
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

jeepinjayhawk wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:09 am How has the entire GOP become so fucking stupid?
Fox News, and the Facebook/YouTube algorithms?
Deleted User 318

Post by Deleted User 318 »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:13 am Fox News, and the Facebook/YouTube algorithms?
Tangentially related, The Times did a good eight-part series about YouTube's Algorithm and how it may have led to radicalization. It's called the Rabbit Hole. I thought it was well done.

https://www.nytimes.com/column/rabbit-hole
Deleted User 62

NiceDC wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:27 am
ousdahl wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:13 am Fox News, and the Facebook/YouTube algorithms?
Tangentially related, The Times did a good eight-part series about YouTube's Algorithm and how it may have led to radicalization. It's called the Rabbit Hole. I thought it was well done.

Hide this from Lobster, we don't need 200 youtubes shooting this story full of holes.

Good find, DC
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

NiceDC wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:27 am

^^^^ fake news!

I saw a YouTube video that told me so!
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

but for real NPR had a similar story a while back too. I heard it on the radio, and looked for an online article to post it here for lobster, but never found one
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

I will have a senior in high school and a second grader so this will be a very interesting school year. I'll have to look up their policies when I get access but as of now, they are going back at their regular starting time for a full 5 day week. Kids will all wear masks, many changes to what they can do and where they can go, etc...

With 5-6 weeks still to go, things can change. We'll see. My high schooler wants to get back so she can have her senior year. So many mixed emotions about it right now.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I think it says a lot that the potus, and everyone who comes into contact with potus, is tested every day.

In other words, he totally does know how to beat the pandemic. He just doesn’t give a shit about anyone but himself.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:28 pm I think it says a lot that the potus, and everyone who comes into contact with potus, is tested every day.

In other words, he totally does know how to beat the pandemic. He just doesn’t give a shit about anyone but himself.
Hall of Fame comment