Opening schools safely

Coffee talk.
Deleted User 310

Re: Opening schools safely

Post by Deleted User 310 »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:28 pm I think it says a lot that the potus, and everyone who comes into contact with potus, is tested every day.

In other words, he totally does know how to beat the pandemic. He just doesn’t give a shit about anyone but himself.
Unfortunately a lot of people agree with his "hurry up and open" strategy, and many of them were beating that drum even before trump was. A portion of our country simply isnt scared/doesnt give a shit, and feel no responsibility to the greater good of helping protect other people.

This is the united states. Freedom is fantastic but it doesnt come without negative aspects at times.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I think a lot of folks would feel a lot more confident about reopening if testing and tracing was a bigger part of it.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:07 pm I think a lot of folks would feel a lot more confident about reopening if testing and tracing was a bigger part of it.
If there wasn't 70,000 new cases today. Ever increasing.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I'm trying to imagine the current crop of republicans during WWII. What would happen if a Democratic president required gas rationing, sugar rationing, and asked the folks to plant victory gardens?
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 310

ousdahl wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:07 pm I think a lot of folks would feel a lot more confident about reopening if testing and tracing was a bigger part of it.
I would feel more confident if we did that 4 months ago (like almost every other country in the world) instead of waiting until it is too out of control to even attempt those things. At 60k new cases per day there is no way to effectively contact trace. We either lock back down or just throw up our hands and let it run its course (which appears to be what "we" have chosen to do).
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Deleted User 310

Some central IL school districts have released their opening plans in the last day or so and i am shocked at their plans to pack classrooms and pretend this isn't a danger to students/teachers.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

Come on now. No school district anywhere is going to open up willy nilly as if there are no risks involved.

School districts are going to proceed very thoughtfully and carefully.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:02 pm Come on now. No school district anywhere is going to open up willy nilly as if there are no risks involved.

School districts are going to proceed very thoughtfully and carefully.
That's all well and good.

But, as a general matter, no battle plan survives contact with the enemy.

And that is most certainly true where the battle plan is distancing and masks, and the enemy is children.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

We are looking at a really bad deal if the children are not in person learning come fall.
"hey don't blame me, i am going to vote for some random dude"
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

MICHHAWK wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:11 pm We are looking at a really bad deal if the children are not in person learning come fall.
I agree with that. I don't know that there's a good solution here. Just a menu of flawed ones.

But if we proceed with trying to make things as business-as-usual as possible, let's just call a spade a spade. We're conceding spread. Expecting kids to follow even moderately-useful protocols is fantasy.

As, unfortunately, is expecting testing capacity (and speed) that would support close-to-real-time knowledge of infection.
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

No one disagrees with Mich’s assertion. That’s not the problem. The problem, like everything with Trump, is he does little to actually address shit before it’s upon him, and in this case, it just doesn’t make sense.

Then there is the 10th amendment. Basically telling states to deal with things as feds Don’t have authority....then seeing this as an agenda that will move the populous towards him politically, so he emerges from behind the 10th amendment hidey hole and says ‘do it or I’ll cut funding’.

It’s a joke.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

If you have to assume that, as a baseline matter, M-F [8-3] school must be made available, then you'd like to be able to say that half the kids are required Mondays and Wednesdays, the other half required on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and no one is required Fridays. Digital participation if not present in person.

Administer tests on Wednesdays and Thursdays, with results by the weekend.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

We just got our district's plan.

Either in-school OR online, for the entire semester. They state that teachers can't do both (so there will be different teachers). If you do online, you're (likely) with contract teachers, and you're with kids from all district schools (at that grade level).
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Los Angeles and San Diego going online-only for the fall.
Deleted User 310

jfish26 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 12:47 pm We just got our district's plan.

Either in-school OR online, for the entire semester. They state that teachers can't do both (so there will be different teachers). If you do online, you're (likely) with contract teachers, and you're with kids from all district schools (at that grade level).
Hoping our district does something similar....but i have my doubts it will happen. We will get by either way, but the chances of me sending my daughter to in person 1st grade reduce with each passing day. She is already ahead of the curve due to my wife and mom doing so much with her when she was younger so i am not worried about her development if she misses half of a year or a whole year.

Sure wish we would have actually closed down in march instead of closing halfway down. In retrospect it made very little difference to do it half assed with half the people not giving a shit.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:47 pm

Hoping our district does something similar....but i have my doubts it will happen. We will get by either way, but the chances of me sending my daughter to in person 1st grade reduce with each passing day. She is already ahead of the curve due to my wife and mom doing so much with her when she was younger so i am not worried about her development if she misses half of a year or a whole year.

Sure wish we would have actually closed down in march instead of closing halfway down. In retrospect it made very little difference to do it half assed with half the people not giving a shit.
No doubt that the recklessness of a few absolutely wasted the sacrifices of many.
Deleted User 310

jfish26 wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:51 pm
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:47 pm

No doubt that the recklessness of a few absolutely wasted the sacrifices of many.
Not sure about your area, but in mine it sure feels like the recklessness of many wasted the sacrifices of the few.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Same here. Weird that we got the letter..

Our youngest graduated in May.