Opening schools safely

Coffee talk.
Deleted User 318

Re: Opening schools safely

Post by Deleted User 318 »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:30 pm It was going to be fluid. But some unneeded stress for so many is officially gone.

Still, just infuriating how easy it was for an out of touch few to make a decision that would deeply affect so many.
It's not out of touch if it's intentional.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

So, what can Stephen Miller do next?

Rub salt in the eyes of non-white newborns?
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

There will be something.
Defense. Rebounds.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

sdoyel wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 11:19 pm This stupid mother fucker has sat on his ass for 4 months pointing fingers, whining, playing golf, hanging out in a bunker, and whining some more...

Listen to this embicile:

https://twitter.com/projectlincoln/stat ... 82465?s=21
"We saved 2 million lives by shutting down. Now we understand and have learned more so we say that kids have to go back to school or we'll deny those schools federal funding."

What the fuck?!? Apparently they have learned nothing.
Deleted User 318

jeepinjayhawk wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:37 pm So, what can Stephen Miller do next?

Too easy. I'd say see if any of these laws are still on the books:

Forced Sterilization of Mexican-Americans: When U.S. Lawmakers Took a Page from the Nazi Playbook
Some believed they could improve the U.S. population by controlled breeding.

https://www.history.com/news/when-ameri ... i-playbook
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

jfish26 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:23 am I am quite concerned that opening schools will inevitably result in some kids getting beaten.

Not hard to imagine - a kid goes to school, and is (rightfully) told to follow distancing and mask measures that the parents think is lib'ral, Democrat propaganda. Kid asks the parents why they don't follow the rules. Over a large enough sample size, some bad things will happen.
I am more concerned about it resulting in tens of thousands of additional deaths but yeah, I suppose some asshole parents will treat their kids like shit over caving to the rules. Although I suspect that parents who would do that are already treating their kids like shit over something else.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

NiceDC wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:41 pm
jeepinjayhawk wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 2:37 pm So, what can Stephen Miller do next?

Too easy. I'd say see if any of these laws are still on the books:

Forced Sterilization of Mexican-Americans: When U.S. Lawmakers Took a Page from the Nazi Playbook
Some believed they could improve the U.S. population by controlled breeding.

https://www.history.com/news/when-ameri ... i-playbook
Yeah, it's silly to pretend that this type of thinking is a new disease.
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

They need something to distract from questions bout COVID.
Don't inject Lysol.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

I found it just a bit ironic that the Orange County school board voted to open schools with no requirements for masks or distancing. They were in a Zoom meeting.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

Just another "what are we even doing here" moment.

I'm genuinely on the fence about what we'll do. It's hard to have confidence in sending kids back when the "send the kids back" side is virulently anti-science.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Trump - I'm leaving the "opening" of the states to the Governors.
Trump - If the Governors don't send kids to school I am going to cut off funding.

Would I feel safe sending my kid/s to school? No. Would I still do it? Maybe. Not sure if that would make me a shit parent or not. I don't envy those of you who have to make the decision.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Grandma wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:58 pm Trump - I'm leaving the "opening" of the states to the Governors.
Trump - If the Governors don't send kids to school I am going to cut off funding.

Would I feel safe sending my kid/s to school? No. Would I still do it? Maybe. Not sure if that would make me a shit parent or not. I don't envy those of you who have to make the decision.
What's not safe about it as a parent? The disease is no worse than the flu for kids.

It's the teachers, and the at- risk parents/caregivers that I'm worried about. And the person who can't get treated at the hospital for something else because the ICU is full.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Mjl wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:13 pm
Grandma wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:58 pm Trump - I'm leaving the "opening" of the states to the Governors.

What's not safe about it as a parent? The disease is no worse than the flu for kids.

It's the teachers, and the at- risk parents/caregivers that I'm worried about. And the person who can't get treated at the hospital for something else because the ICU is full.
We dont know the long term risks for kids. Early studies indicate potential for long term lung capacity loss....we dont really know what this disease really does. Is it worth the risk? Its a tough call. Tougher than either side wants to make it.
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 318

Probably, you know, all the people that kid is going to spread it to, including the parents, grandparents, neighbors, essential workers, the dozen of other folks that a kid will come in contact with. And acting like the flu is NBD has been insane. I’ve had the flu three times, mono once, and never been ill of minor colds outside of that. The flu times all have been terrible, all which I was out of commission for a week at least. There is a reason all of us who are fortunate enough to get flu shots get them. The flu is really bad. Acting like we should accept the flu is appalling. Having to get the flu, roll a pair of dice you will be in the emergency room if you get 11 or above, then dying if you again get 10 or above, should not be acceptable.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

NiceDC wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:41 pm

Probably, you know, all the people that kid is going to spread it to, including the parents, grandparents, neighbors, essential workers, the dozen of other folks that a kid will come in contact with. And acting like the flu is NBD has been insane. I’ve had the flu three times, mono once, and never been ill of minor colds outside of that. The flu times all have been terrible, all which I was out of commission for a week at least. There is a reason all of us who are fortunate enough to get flu shots get them. The flu is really bad. Acting like we should accept the flu is appalling. Having to get the flu, roll a pair of dice you will be in the emergency room if you get 11 or above, then dying if you again get 10 or above, should not be acceptable.
I think you misunderstood my point - basically exactly what you said.
kubowler99

Post by kubowler99 »

Archdiocese in St. Louis just announced all Catholic Schools (14 counties worth) will be in school only. Somehow social distancing and all health protocols will be in effect...even if our our school, all classes are almost entirely full (20-25 kids) across all grades (k-8). Physically, they can't do social distancing.

Our two youngest (oldest is at a Public HS) are in a Catholic K-8. We're pulling them out and sending them to public, which our school district has announced parents will have the option of in school or distance learning. It sucks the most for our middle child, who's going into 8th grade, and this would have been his last year with all of his friends. We're not sure if we'll send our youngest back after this.

FYI - Tuition is due on Friday.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

kubowler99 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:39 am Archdiocese in St. Louis just announced all Catholic Schools (14 counties worth) will be in school only. Somehow social distancing and all health protocols will be in effect...even if our our school, all classes are almost entirely full (20-25 kids) across all grades (k-8). Physically, they can't do social distancing.

Our two youngest (oldest is at a Public HS) are in a Catholic K-8. We're pulling them out and sending them to public, which our school district has announced parents will have the option of in school or distance learning. It sucks the most for our middle child, who's going into 8th grade, and this would have been his last year with all of his friends. We're not sure if we'll send our youngest back after this.

FYI - Tuition is due on Friday.
Sorry to hear/read about your predicament.

You say your middle child would be in his last year with "all of his friends".
I swear I am not trying to be a dick by asking this, does your child have friends who don't attend the Catholic school that he attends?
I'm asking because I'm someone who feels it would have been best for me to have grown up in the city and gone to a public school - so I would have been exposed to more diversity.
Of course that's just me and my belief. I'm sure for others, religious based Grade and High Schools might be better for them. Especially if the public schooling is "inadequate".