COVID-19 numbers

Coffee talk.
Mjl

Re: COVID-19 numbers

Post by Mjl »

twocoach wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:08 pm
Mjl wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:59 pm
IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:16 pm Meh. I don't think he will be able to "hide" them. And tbh for most of us it is our local numbers that are the most important to pay attention to. Those numbers are released daily by our state health departments so it should be easy enough to catch him up when/if he tries to lie about the numbers (more/again/as usual). Our media is pretty good at catching him up in his lies, this wont be any different.
Really well said. The left wing hysteria on this is kinda ignorant.
No hysterics, just concern. There is no logical, sensible reason for this to be done.
There is. They currently have to report numbers to the state, the cdc, and hhs. This eliminates one of those for these overrun hospitals.
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

One of the medical experts said today that there is danger in removing the allocation of supplies and medication from Atlanta based CDC, out in the real world, to the politicized venue of Washington, DC. Having lived in DC, among those who care little about the rest of the country, only how something will affect their personal resume, I'd have to agree.

The new rules took effect Wednesday and will determine the allocation starting next week of critical supplies from the federal government, including protective gear and remdesivir, an antiviral medication that is one of the only approved treatments for covid-19 patients. Senior HHS officials contended Wednesday that the switch was made with the agreement of the CDC, which no longer is a recipient of the information.

Critics, however, say they fear the elimination of the CDC’s role as a main data-keeper for the pandemic will be damaging, depriving states, hospitals and others of frequent analyses of data about the virus’s path in their communities. Smaller hospitals, in particular, are ill-equipped to suddenly adopt new data methods, critics said, though the industry has pledged to comply with the change.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2 ... Fstory-ans
Don't inject Lysol.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Mjl wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:18 pm
twocoach wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:08 pm

No hysterics, just concern. There is no logical, sensible reason for this to be done.
There is. They currently have to report numbers to the state, the cdc, and hhs. This eliminates one of those for these overrun hospitals.
ridiculous, they don't report the number from the E.R.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Deleted User 318

Post by Deleted User 318 »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:16 pm Meh. I don't think he will be able to "hide" them. And tbh for most of us it is our local numbers that are the most important to pay attention to. Those numbers are released daily by our state health departments so it should be easy enough to catch him up when/if he tries to lie about the numbers (more/again/as usual). Our media is pretty good at catching him up in his lies, this wont be any different.
"Left Wing Hysteria"

https://www.idsociety.org/news--publica ... -protocol/

Thomas M. File, Jr., M.D., FIDSA — President, Infectious Diseases Society of America
Reports that the administration has established a procedure that would remove the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention as a recipient of data on patients hospitalized with COVID-19 are troubling and, if implemented, will undermine our nation’s public health experts. COVID-19 data collection and reporting must be done in a transparent and trustworthy manner and must not be politicized, as these data are the foundation that guide our response to the pandemic. Collecting and reporting public health data is a core function of the CDC, for which the agency has the necessary trained experts and infrastructure. Placing medical data collection outside of the leadership of public health experts could severely weaken the quality and availability of data, add an additional burden to already overwhelmed hospitals and add a new challenge to the U.S. pandemic response. At this critical time when many states are experiencing surges, reliable, comprehensive data are essential to inform the distribution of supplies and treatment. The administration should provide funding to support data collection and should strengthen the role of CDC to collect and report COVID-19 data by race and ethnicity, hospital and ICU capacity, total number of tests and percent positive, hospitalizations and deaths. As infectious diseases physicians, frontline providers and scientists we urge the administration to follow public health expertise in addressing this public health crisis.
Deleted User 318

Geezer

Post by Geezer »

I think it's back up on the CDC site.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Again, politicization of the pandemic is why we are in this dark place. Some simple measures, backed up by real data would have put us on a much better path. We are about to suffer another spike in deaths.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

The official White House line is that they won’t “let science stand in the way of opening@ schools.

Let that sink in. I’m surprised that only 130k persons are dead
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

zsn wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:27 pm The official White House line is that they won’t “let science stand in the way of opening@ schools.

That's taking the quote out of context. If you look at the full statement she is saying that science backs up the need to open schools. Which of course is most likely wrong, but not to the extent of insinuating they don't care what science says (which, again, probably actually is the case).
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

zsn wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:27 pm The official White House line is that they won’t “let science stand in the way of opening@ schools.

We had to completely shut down to keep it that low. Imagine what it would be if we behaved as Trump wants us to.
shindig

Post by shindig »

I've been under the weather a little the last 5-6 days, it seems to come and go. I felt fine yesterday, but today woke up with a headache and diarrhea (I know, gross), and it has come and gone the last week as well. I haven't been tested, but I'm wondering if I should. I've also been tired more the last week, so I've been sleeping more. Still working at home, but my brother is having a cookout tomorrow evening and not sure if I should go. What would you all do? Lay low for another week or so and if it continues, get checked?
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

It's going to take a while to get test results, like 10-14 days.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I’d lay low.

If you’re not feeling well for any reason, I wouldn’t risk the cookout - for your brother’s and everyone else’s sake perhaps more than your own.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

shindig wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:28 pm I've been under the weather a little the last 5-6 days, it seems to come and go. I felt fine yesterday, but today woke up with a headache and diarrhea (I know, gross), and it has come and gone the last week as well. I haven't been tested, but I'm wondering if I should. I've also been tired more the last week, so I've been sleeping more. Still working at home, but my brother is having a cookout tomorrow evening and not sure if I should go. What would you all do? Lay low for another week or so and if it continues, get checked?
To get tested in KCMO, you need pretty severe symptoms and to have been exposed to someone who has tested positive.

Looking at a week or so wait if not. Shitty situation.
Deleted User 318

Geezer wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:36 pm It's going to take a while to get test results, like 10-14 days.
Tests are backed up over a week here. Got tested on Sunday, no results yet. An urgent care center I was looking at said they are 10-11 days behind.

This all means that the numbers we are getting are lagged by at least a week if these delays are consistent across the country, or at least the hotspots.

That said, there still might be 80k cases reported today. We may be in the 100k a day zone already.
shindig

Post by shindig »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:54 pm
shindig wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:28 pm I've been under the weather a little the last 5-6 days, it seems to come and go. I felt fine yesterday, but today woke up with a headache and diarrhea (I know, gross), and it has come and gone the last week as well. I haven't been tested, but I'm wondering if I should. I've also been tired more the last week, so I've been sleeping more. Still working at home, but my brother is having a cookout tomorrow evening and not sure if I should go. What would you all do? Lay low for another week or so and if it continues, get checked?
To get tested in KCMO, you need pretty severe symptoms and to have been exposed to someone who has tested positive.

Looking at a week or so wait if not. Shitty situation.
Ok, I think I'll just skip the whole cookout and lay low. It's weird because I don't feel horrible, just some minor stomach cramping, occasional diahrrea, mild headaches and tiredness. I don't think I'm running a fever, but my thermometer needs a new battery, so it's not working at the moment. And tomorrow I'll probably feel fine and then feel crappy Sunday or something.

It's just weird because it's my brother's birthday Sunday, but they are having the cookout Saturday evening. Now I know they will say something to my parents and my Mom will be calling me non-stop thinking I have COVID-19, when it could just be fvcking allergies or something I've been eating that isn't settling with me...I don't know.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

And the worst that could happen....
shindig

Post by shindig »

Geezer wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:53 pm And the worst that could happen....
If I don't go? I miss out on a KC Strip and beer butt chicken dammit. But I obviously don't want to get anyone sick with whatever crud I have.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

NiceDC wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:08 pm
Geezer wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:36 pm It's going to take a while to get test results, like 10-14 days.
Tests are backed up over a week here. Got tested on Sunday, no results yet. An urgent care center I was looking at said they are 10-11 days behind.

This all means that the numbers we are getting are lagged by at least a week if these delays are consistent across the country, or at least the hotspots.

That said, there still might be 80k cases reported today. We may be in the 100k a day zone already.
The scenes out of Florida, Arizona and Texas come next weekend are going to be pretty bad.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Gov Beshear has, at least temporarily, won in the KY supreme court. He ordered mandatory masks in all public places, and the AG wanted to fill up the hospitals.
Defense. Rebounds.