who ya got?

Ugh.
Deleted User 310

Re: who ya got?

Post by Deleted User 310 »

Walrus wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:27 pm I'm going to vote for Jo Jorgensen, the woman of the libertarian party. She won't win, but I won't have to feel guilt for voting for the two bad options.
Not a bad idea either. Not sure where you live, but in my state Biden will win easily, so there is no risk and a vote for her would signal some hope for the emergence of a 3rd party and/or the hope for the eventual death of the 2 party system.

I think i saw 3rd parties went from .4% of the votes in 2012 all the way to 3.3%ish in 2016.....that number eventually gets up to 7-10% and there would be some hope.

Or maybe our 2 parties could put forth some people better than Biden and Trump to choose from....which they have done with a few (at least the dems), but the power players seem to ensure they don't stand a chance against candidates like Biden/Clinton.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Illy- I don’t know how old you were in 1992 or 1996 but I think you should look up Reform Party. The candidate got way more than 10% and a big fat NOTHING happened.
Deleted User 310

zsn wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:09 am Illy- I don’t know how old you were in 1992 or 1996 but I think you should look up Reform Party. The candidate got way more than 10% and a big fat NOTHING happened.
Ya. Too young to know/remember. Thanks for pissing on my dreams....maybe the 2nd dream of simply just having better candidates to choose from can still happen? Fingers crossed.

(Guessing it was Ross Perot you were referencing?)
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Hell yea ross perot. He won our schools fake elections
Just Ledoux it
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I can't remember now, but I think I voted for Perot. I did vote for Nader of the two morans he ran against.
Defense. Rebounds.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Mjl wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:47 pm So, what's the case for Biden? Most people, so far as I can tell, agree that he has declined dramatically in terms of at least being able to formulate thoughts, and at worst has had a stroke or two.

What makes that better than Trump? It's the thought that he knows a lot of civic servants that trust facts, value deep knowledge, and that he'll appoint and listen to these people. Hell, that's why I'm going to vote for him, and I didn't vote for Hillary.

How do you run a campaign with that message? "Ignore the candidate, just trust him to delegate to the right people". Not exactly an inspirational message.
I feel you actually hit the nail on the head.

I have a feeling I am going to go on and on and on with this post so I will try and be aware of that and keep it somewhat brief.

At the risk of getting a JFC from Jeeper, I'm going to say that I work with and for a lot of former and current politicians - and those who work for them. I try not to bother these people but if and when I speak and/or exchange emails/texts with them I try and ask them a question or two and engage them in brief conversations. From a few conversations I have had, I have deducted that Joe Biden is pretty much a puppet candidate. It didn't take conversations for me to have thought that.
The guy is running to appease others. Unfortunately my guess is he feels obligated to run.
That's not a good thing.
Let's be honest here. He will be 78 on Inauguration day. He has had several major tragedies in his life, he has had health issues, and he's not what/who he used to be. He has earned the right NOT to put himself through the rigors of being the President of the United States. So why do it? I have said to others I am shocked his loved ones have given him their blessing/s. They probably should have insisted he NOT run - even if he is hell bent on doing it. Tough love but love none the less.
I say God bless him for feeling the need/desire to do it but come on Joe, you didn't have to run and why are you doing this to yourself?

Like Obama in 2008, I believe his Presidency will/would be so much more about who he will appoint as his advisors and who will fill cabinet positions than he himself.
UNLIKE Trump, thankfully as big of an ego as Obama had, he happened to respect the people around him and valued their opinions. He knew he wasn't smarter than them on the things they are appointed to oversee. I happen to know for a fact that he often engaged "outsiders" for advice and insight. Obama knew what he knew and knew what he didn't know.
I happen to feel Biden will be the same way as Obama was in this regard.

Has there ever been a person running for President who people care as much if not more who his/her running mate will be?
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

You know why I’m not going to hold anything against Biden’s occasional studder or slip up?

Because it pales in comparison to moron Trump.

What’s the biggest word in Trump’s vocabulary? Covfefe? LOL

I’ve listened to plenty of Biden speeches latey and they have all been eloquent... I think his alleged cognitive decline is overstated and a non-issue.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:16 am
zsn wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:09 am Illy- I don’t know how old you were in 1992 or 1996 but I think you should look up Reform Party. The candidate got way more than 10% and a big fat NOTHING happened.
Ya. Too young to know/remember. Thanks for pissing on my dreams....maybe the 2nd dream of simply just having better candidates to choose from can still happen? Fingers crossed.

We have these things called primaries where the public gets to select from more options. This is what we ended up with.

People picked Biden because they felt he was more assured of winning vs. Trump. He wasn't the best choice, just the safest choice.

The desire to have more parties on the ticket just further divides us into smaller and smaller groups. What I would like to see happen as a more realistic action is to reorder the primaries for each party. There is zero sense behind having results in Iowa and New Hampshire be so impactful simply because they go first.
Deleted User 310

twocoach wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:24 am

We have these things called primaries where the public gets to select from more options. This is what we ended up with.
Thanks for the insight! 🙄
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 12:09 pm
twocoach wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 11:24 am

Thanks for the insight! 🙄
No sense in whining about what "the party" gives us when we really do it to ourselves.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

More than anything Biden can’t be blackmailed by an adversarial government. That’s got to count for a LOT.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

Yes, Ross Perot. He’s what happens when people go “my cardiologist is extremely talented but he stutters a lot. My plumber is really good looking so I’ll have him do my bypass surgery. Besides it would be good to have an outsider in charge because the doctors are elitist.”
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

zsn wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:01 pm More than anything Biden can’t be blackmailed by an adversarial government. That’s got to count for a LOT.
Wait until September when you start hearing Hunter Biden constantly.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

zsn wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:07 pm

Yes, Ross Perot. He’s what happens when people go “my cardiologist is extremely talented but he stutters a lot. My plumber is really good looking so I’ll have him do my bypass surgery. Besides it would be good to have an outsider in charge because the doctors are elitist.”
Then you should probably vote for one of the 2 main parties. But, why try and discourage others from considering their options.

Heres one of my least favorite things about democrats. Constantly preaching tolerance while possessing none.
Just Ledoux it
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

Don't badmouth Ross Perot, he got Bill Clinton elected.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
zsn
Contributor

Post by zsn »

I’m not discouraging others from voting for alternative candidates. I’m saying that the alternative candidates we’ve had in my lifetime haven’t had any qualifications or have been less qualified than the major parties. 2016 maybe an exception, and we’re seeing the effects now.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Well you used the while post to state how dumb it is to vote for a 3rd party.....
Just Ledoux it
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Mjl wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:47 pm So, what's the case for Biden? Most people, so far as I can tell, agree that he has declined dramatically in terms of at least being able to formulate thoughts, and at worst has had a stroke or two.

What makes that better than Trump? It's the thought that he knows a lot of civic servants that trust facts, value deep knowledge, and that he'll appoint and listen to these people. Hell, that's why I'm going to vote for him, and I didn't vote for Hillary.

How do you run a campaign with that message? "Ignore the candidate, just trust him to delegate to the right people". Not exactly an inspirational message.
The list is long as to what is better between the two but first and foremost I feel that Biden will hire and appoint a far higher percentage of competent, qualified adults to work in the dozens of vital roles in the US government where we need them.

We arent just changing who has the job of President. Trump's idiots and sycophants have infected a huge amount of the inner workings of our country. Their policies and procedures will take a lot of work to wash through the pipes.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Doesn’t matter who any of you vote for, the Republicans fucked up so badly that this country is going to turn blue for the next 20-24 years.
Deleted User 62

Post by Deleted User 62 »

Geezer wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 7:05 pm
zsn wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:01 pm More than anything Biden can’t be blackmailed by an adversarial government. That’s got to count for a LOT.
Wait until September when you start hearing Hunter Biden constantly.
You won't have to wait for the end of July for the GOP to start calling witnesses.

It is literally all they have.