COVID-19 numbers

Coffee talk.
jfish26
Contributor

Re: COVID-19 numbers

Post by jfish26 »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:42 pm Or heck.

Even without sending US boots to China, I think so much of this mess could have been avoided if we had an administration that - wait for it - control of the borders.

Like for real how hard would it have been to, back in January, just say “any international traveler entering the country has to quarantine until they pass a test.”

Okay maybe that would be hard, but still not as hard as six figure death numbers and tens of millions out of work.
Deleted User 318

Post by Deleted User 318 »

It’s a hard test. Last 5 questions are doozies. Mexicans will never be able to pass it.

But when was the first test and 1,000th test conducted in US? I assume first was Feb, 1,000th was in March.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Person, woman, man, camera, TV.
Deleted User 318

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:44 pm Person, woman, man, camera, TV.
That was the funniest part of the interview. He literally couldn’t think of five nouns, so he picked four of the closest five things near him.
Geezer

Post by Geezer »

My theory of declining death rate is security is much tighter now at LTCF compared to the first 2 months. Just to use JoCo as an example, 75 of 96 deaths were over 80 years old. Only 255 positives in that age group. Only 2 deaths under 60 with 3432 positives.
Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day; Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

Huh
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

NiceDC wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:48 pm
That was the funniest part of the interview. He literally couldn’t think of five nouns, so he picked four of the closest five things near him.
Sports, baseball, basketball, ball, glove.
Deleted User 318

jfish26 wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:35 pm
NiceDC wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:48 pm
Sports, baseball, basketball, ball, glove.
Just realized you said the same thing in the Poli thread, and I totally skipped over it. I wasn't plagiarizing.

At least I didn't use the Lamp image in my post.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

jfish26 wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:01 pm
Sparko wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:33 pm All the US could control is how we handled it. And there are Extremely poor districts surrounding Mumbai that handled the pandemic far better than Trump’s executive branch. I now know six people who have caught it and three have died. “Statistically insignificant” a right wing co-worker called it in April. It is a shocking return to Bronze Age pandemic management.
But even that's not true. This administration gutted DEEP STATE functions that would have alerted us much sooner to the virus, and put US boots on the ground in China to contain it there.
That was pretty much my take too but awkwardly worded. Trump has been a dismal crook incapable of doing anything well except grifting.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

PhDhawk wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:57 am
Gqcolorado wrote: Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:53 am So we are all pretty much numb to the ‘numbers’ at this point?

Critical cases up ~20% last two days.

I’m actually curious where hospital numbers are in ‘hot spots’.

Also very happy mortality rate is much much less than it was during initial phase. Skeptical if that is bc of what demographic is being infected, or how the numbers are being reported.
I think the biggest factor is increased testing. A lot more asymptomatic people or with mild symptoms getting tested than before pushes the mortality rate down. I also think that it might be somewhat attenuated now compared to before, but I haven't seen any data for that, just a hunch based on the data I'm seeing and how pathogens tend to evolve. I also wonder about infectious dose. It's possible that because of social distancing, masks, etc. The average inoculum for an infected person is lower and as a result symptoms may be less severe. There was a lot of talk early about healthcare workers having higher mortality rates was because the viral load they were exposed to was likely so high. Haven't heard any follow ups on that.
This article suggests that I was right.

https://fox6now.com/2020/07/25/mounting ... -covid-19/
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

That is consistent with what a pulmonologist friend of mine tells me - masks and distancing etc. will not prevent every case. But on the balance (and on a large scale), they will prevent enough cases to make a difference.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

But they may also make those cases milder in nature.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
Deleted User 318

Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

PhDhawk wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:05 pm But they may also make those cases milder in nature.
Which now they apparently worry may also reduce time of immunity from the virus?

Sure wish we could figure out for certain if people can get this thing more than once or not.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Tradition’s back!
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Been fishing dude?
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

ousdahl wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 10:10 am Been fishing dude?
unfortunately, no

soon, i hope...
Deleted User 141

Post by Deleted User 141 »

The part that is absolutely horrific and makes my heart hurt is that last week, when there was one day of ‘plateauing’, executive leadership tried to bang the drum that the numbers were stabilizing.

A week prior, when case numbers were soaring and death rate going ‘down’, they tried to bang the drum that the mortality rate was reducing in a significant fashion.

Now, this week, death #s are gonna spike relative to plateauing case numbers. And no measure of concern is going to be given to this.

But, that’s how the math and science work. And why we are stuck in this ‘first cycle’.

We suck.