George Floyd and the Ensuing Protests

Ugh.
ousdahl

Re: George Floyd and the Ensuing Protests

Post by ousdahl »

You have kids, right?

Serious question: if you were sitting down for dinner and one of them said, “hey dad, I don’t have anything to eat,” rather than provide for your kid you’d whoop his butt?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

ousdahl wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:01 am You have kids, right?

Serious question: if you were sitting down for dinner and one of them said, “hey dad, I don’t have anything to eat,” rather than provide for your kid you’d whoop his butt?
Thats not what i said. Id give them food but im not gonna listen to the whole "you cant say" "we all deserve our piece" nonsense. Give them meat problem solves move on.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Okay then.

Give the black lives “meat,” problem solved, move on.
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Thats the thing. My stance is that every job or situation should go to the best person/qualified person regardless of sex or gender. Im not into giving anything to anyone.

Provide ample opportunity for qualifications and whatnot to be acquired and the rest is up to the individual. In the perfect world.
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Pretty sure that’s largely what BLM is about?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Is it tho?
Just Ledoux it
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

You have some other theory?
TDub
Contributor

Post by TDub »

Why is biden specifically choosing an african american woman as VP?

If you come out and say that before you've chosen it doesnt come off as very authentic for choosing the bext most qualified candidate.

I know thats not all one and the samebut its a related scenario .
Just Ledoux it
Deleted User 318

Post by Deleted User 318 »

TDub wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:18 pm Why is biden specifically choosing an african american woman as VP?

If you come out and say that before you've chosen it doesnt come off as very authentic for choosing the bext most qualified candidate.

When has VP ever been about "best most qualified candidate?" It's about balancing the ticket and bringing something extra to the ticket that the presidential candidate doesn't have. I would say most VP candidates have been terrible. But a truly "best most qualified candidate" probably is doing something a lot more worthwhile than being a VP.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I think much of Biden’s intent to choose a black woman veep is the same reason any politician does anything: political expediency.

There is a critical mass of BLM momentum, and females are half the donut I mean population, and Biden wants to capitalize.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Did I miss something? When did Biden say he's picking a black woman?
Deleted User 318

Mjl wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:52 pm Did I miss something? When did Biden say he's picking a black woman?
He hasn't come out and said it, but based on the women who have been going through vetting, it's skews heavily black. Unfortunately, many of some issues that might not garner the enthusiasm for those on the left, but at this point, it's probably more about trying to capture the senate as Trump is falling so far back in swing states. I'm putting most likely VP is Harris, with my choice being Duckworth.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

NiceDC wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 3:32 pm
Mjl wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 2:52 pm Did I miss something? When did Biden say he's picking a black woman?
He hasn't come out and said it, but based on the women who have been going through vetting, it's skews heavily black. Unfortunately, many of some issues that might not garner the enthusiasm for those on the left, but at this point, it's probably more about trying to capture the senate as Trump is falling so far back in swing states. I'm putting most likely VP is Harris, with my choice being Duckworth.
Fuck worth seems a much better bet. Except for the fact that my phone just autocorrected her name in an interesting way.

People already had an opportunity to vote for Harris and she didn't even make it to Iowa. Fuck worth is a vet, a fresh face, and really bright. And she hasn't already proven that she can't get voters, unlike Harris.
Deleted User 318

I don't think she has the name cache as Harris does, but I agree that if you want to elevate an amazing woman, and possible slide her into the head of 2024 ticket, then Duckworth is the woman. I like Harris a lot too, but she isn't going to garner as much enthusiasm on the left, but will get the black woman vote to peak. I don't think Biden could go wrong with either. And if Harris didn't make it to Iowa, then no one had the opportunity to vote for her. The field was 20 deep at that point, and she had no money. No reason to ruin her political future by being stubborn. She knew she would have further chances.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

TDub wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:18 pm Why is biden specifically choosing an african american woman as VP?

I have no problem with part of the job description for the Vice President to be "help the African American community feel more represented, help African American teens see someone like them in a leadership role, etc..." Plus, a VP's typical focus is partly on community relations and the government's relationship with the African American community could use some work. I feel that work would be more productive with an African American Vice President.
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

twocoach wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:54 pm

I have no problem with part of the job description for the Vice President to be "help the African American community feel more represented, help African American teens see someone like them in a leadership role, etc..." Plus, a VP's typical focus is partly on community relations and the government's relationship with the African American community could use some work. I feel that work would be more productive with an African American Vice President.
It's not, especially in this case where Biden is expected to go one term at most. He needs someone that we would want to be President. This is different from other years.

He pigeon-holed himself to a woman already, fine. Let's not further limit the candidates.

The first African American President could have chosen anyone to be his running mate and he chose Biden. That's enough cred as should be needed with the African American community, and that showed to be true in South Carolina.

I'm not against a black VP, I like Demmings from what I've heard so far, but this push for Kamala Harris, who started strong and got weaker the more people got to know her, is nuts. It's so, um, Democrats. Play identity politics and choose the "safest" bet. Bad strategy right there.

Duckworth is such a good pick.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

I like Duckworth a lot. My guess is Stacy Abrams. I'd rather see Duckworth, mostly because she won her election.
Defense. Rebounds.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Mjl wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:48 pm
twocoach wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 4:54 pm

It's not, especially in this case where Biden is expected to go one term at most. He needs someone that we would want to be President. This is different from other years.

He pigeon-holed himself to a woman already, fine. Let's not further limit the candidates.

The first African American President could have chosen anyone to be his running mate and he chose Biden. That's enough cred as should be needed with the African American community, and that showed to be true in South Carolina.

I'm not against a black VP, I like Demmings from what I've heard so far, but this push for Kamala Harris, who started strong and got weaker the more people got to know her, is nuts. It's so, um, Democrats. Play identity politics and choose the "safest" bet. Bad strategy right there.

Duckworth is such a good pick.
Ah, white people deciding what "should be enough" for black Americans. Gotta love it.

Frankly, there is going to be so much pro-Trump resistance to Biden's administration that it seems like anyone who accepts the VP nomination ought to expect to be handcuffed if they choose to run for Pesident in 2024. Normally, I'd see being VP as a great stepping stone to President but not in this cycle. And if the Dems are somehow able to grab majority in the Senate then it will get really toxic.
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

Because a rule in politics is that it's good to dance with them what brung you?
Don't inject Lysol.
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

twocoach wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:47 am Frankly, there is going to be so much pro-Trump resistance to Biden's administration that it seems like anyone who accepts the VP nomination ought to expect to be handcuffed if they choose to run for Pesident in 2024.
I am sure there will be some payback BS, but i think you vastly over exaggerate how many "pro trump" senators there will be once trump isnt president anymore. A lot of them hate him, but know they cant publicly come out and say it to the press...because what would they have to gain by starting that shit storm?