NFL Offseason 2020

Kansas Football.
NewtonHawk11

Re: NFL Offseason 2020

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Jamal Adams traded from Jets to Seahawks. A 1 and 3 in 2021. A 1 in 2022 and former Jayhawk McDougald.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Biggest name to opt out: linebacker Donta Hightower, captain of the Patriots defense.
He joins starting tackle Marcus Cannon and backup running back Bolden.
There'll be bigger names than this.
jhawks99
Contributor

Post by jhawks99 »

Defense. Rebounds.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Yeesh.
Sorry, once a Jayhawk, not always a Jayhawk on this one.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

pdub wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:52 am Biggest name to opt out: linebacker Donta Hightower, captain of the Patriots defense.
He joins starting tackle Marcus Cannon and backup running back Bolden.
There'll be bigger names than this.
Bears took a big hit today. Eddie Goldman opted out.
I know it's just a fraction of his salary but when he's getting $350,000 not to play - I might not blame him. I'm torn. I feel it's horse shit because he's fucking his teammates but I also feel your own health and well being needs to come before your teammates.
Frankly, I don't think there is going to be an NFL season - as planned - so maybe it doesn't matter.
I hope I am wrong and it does matter.
Deleted User 318

Post by Deleted User 318 »

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Yikes.
That one stings - guy was a big part of the offense.
Our 1st round pick is now a huge/smart/lucky move.
Deleted User 318

pdub wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 4:30 pm Yikes.
That one stings - guy was a big part of the offense.
Our 1st round pick is now a huge/smart/lucky move.
Nah. I could line up there at RB and it wouldn't make much of a difference. This isn't Marty-Ball squad. Plus CEH about to get to get his.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

I don't know Dame or his family but that one is rather puzzling considering the position he plays, his age, his contract situation and other than the last couple of years his lack of job stability.
Things are bigger than football. Sucks. I really liked how Dame played and he was a huge reason why the Chiefs won the Super Bowl. His run against Minny and of course the game sealing against the Niners will be remembered forever.
Holidaysmore - 2005
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I think Damien Williams is an above average running back.
He has pretty good speed and can catch the ball well enough.
It hurts for sure - look at his Super Bowl performance for evidence.
Deleted User 318

I like Damien a lot. I think I heard he might have a new kid, which is why he wants to opt out, but I might have gotten him confused with someone else. Seems like every mid-level player is taking the season off.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Does opting out keep them on the same deal next year? Otherwise, these guys are pretty much done.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

holidaysmore wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:18 pm I don't know Dame or his family but that one is rather puzzling considering the position he plays, his age, his contract situation and other than the last couple of years his lack of job stability.
Things are bigger than football. Sucks. I really liked how Dame played and he was a huge reason why the Chiefs won the Super Bowl. His run against Minny and of course the game sealing against the Niners will be remembered forever.
Without regard for anything personal - that’s career suicide, right?
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

jfish26 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:07 pm
holidaysmore wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:18 pm I don't know Dame or his family but that one is rather puzzling considering the position he plays, his age, his contract situation and other than the last couple of years his lack of job stability.
From a business stand point my thought would be, yes. Once the Chiefs drafted CEH Dame's clocking was ticking if not already done. The thought for him, at least coming into this year would have been ball out and win another ring on the last year of your deal and try and parley that into maybe a mid tier deal with another team. The counter point could be that he is only 29 with pretty minimal usage on him, relatively injury free and one less year of load on him.
Realistically when the RB position is increasingly being under paid I don't know how his agent could go to any team and expect much interest in a 29 yr old journeyman RB who has been a year removed from football.

For everything we have all mentioned this had to have been a pretty well thought through decision but he did make above average money in his last two years with KC and worst case scenario he will never have to pay for a meal or drinks in the entire city of KC at least.
Holidaysmore - 2005
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

holidaysmore wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:10 am
jfish26 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:07 pm
From a business stand point my thought would be, yes. Once the Chiefs drafted CEH Dame's clocking was ticking if not already done. The thought for him, at least coming into this year would have been ball out and win another ring on the last year of your deal and try and parley that into maybe a mid tier deal with another team. The counter point could be that he is only 29 with pretty minimal usage on him, relatively injury free and one less year of load on him.
Realistically when the RB position is increasingly being under paid I don't know how his agent could go to any team and expect much interest in a 29 yr old journeyman RB who has been a year removed from football.

For everything we have all mentioned this had to have been a pretty well thought through decision so he made above average money and worst case scenario he will never have to pay for a meal or drinks in the entire city of KC at least.
The thing is though that his "minimal usage" (never more than six starts, never more than 141 touches) is mostly because he can't stay healthy to begin with.

That (and the "career suicide" comment) sounds like an attack. Not meant that way - now more than ever, guys need to make the decisions they want to make for themselves and their families.

This just seems like a decision that is as likely as not to result in ending or severely limiting his career.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

I didn't look up Dame's entire career so I wasn't aware he had injury issues prior to coming to the Chiefs. I know he was with the Dolphins but now his two knocks would certainly be injuries and he only became a viable back for two years in an Andy Reid system that is notorious for making RBs better than they probably are. That is really like three strikes for him and his career.
His best case scenario is he comes back in 2021-22 and hopefully makes the team to play out his contract. Other then that I hope he managed his money and he can live happily ever after.
Holidaysmore - 2005
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

holidaysmore wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:31 am I didn't look up Dame's entire career so I wasn't aware he had injury issues prior to coming to the Chiefs. I know he was with the Dolphins but now his two knocks would certainly be injuries and he only became a viable back for two years in an Andy Reid system that is notorious for making RBs better than they probably are. That is really like three strikes for him and his career.
His best case scenario is he comes back in 2021-22 and hopefully makes the team to play out his contract. Other then that I hope he managed his money and he can live happily ever after.
Yes.

And on the other hand, this probably saved Darwin Thompson's career.

He's in a great spot - he's essentially a lower-octane Edwards-Helaire, which means Reid/Bienemy don't have to change their stuff to have him in the rotation.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

My guess would be that Darrel and Darwin will be the battle for the last RB spot. Each one has their own strengths and weaknesses. I could see one making the team and the other going to the practice squad. Having depth this year is probably not going to be a bad thing.
Holidaysmore - 2005
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

As a Chiefs fan: yes fucking please do this, Ravens.

Lamar Jackson makes sure the Ravens-Antonio Brown speculation is alive and well

https://theathletic.com/1961258/2020/07 ... ce=related
“That’s the type of guy we need in our locker room,” Jackson said, an interesting quote when you consider that the Pittsburgh Steelers, Oakland Raiders and New England Patriots all decided that they couldn’t afford to keep Brown around their locker room despite his undeniable talent and work ethic. “I feel like the locker room here is different from any other locker room. It’s a brotherhood going on. None of that outside noise, it’s strictly inside. We worry about each other, we worry about what we have going on. We want to win, and I can tell in him. he wants to win. He wants to play ball.”

Jackson took it even further, telling a story about how Brown lifted both prior to and after their on-field workout, which also involved Ravens wide receiver Marquise Brown, Antonio’s cousin.

“Around us, he was a great guy,” Jackson said. “You don’t really see anything going on at all. He’s a cool, down-to-earth guy. He’s passionate about the sport of football. He was working. You can tell that this man, he’s going to go like 24/7. There’s no quit with him.”