George Floyd and the Ensuing Protests

Ugh.
seahawk

Re: George Floyd and the Ensuing Protests

Post by seahawk »

Some questions about Floyd and fentanyl--many police forces now carry naloxone for overdoses of opioids. When administered, it can counteract ODs and save on expensive hospital admissions.

So, the police were dealing with Floyd for awhile before Chauvin knelt on his neck for 9 minutes. Should they have noticed that Floyd was in the midst of a massive OD? Did anyone notice or ask him questions?

One thing that we could work on rather than just making accusations back and forth is how to either take the cops out of being the only responders for drug and alcohol abuse or get them better training. Would calling in Fire Dept. personnel be a better answer? Most Fire Dept. calls in Florida are for medical issues and firemen are way more caretaker personalities than cops.
Don't inject Lysol.
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

I could be wrong but I seem to recall they noticed he seemed to be on something and asked him what he was on. He said he was on nothing.
My worthless opinion is that it would be a fantastic idea to have a medical "professional" involved during arrests that involve people who are "under the influence" but the problem is you often don't have time to determine if someone is "under the influence" - and then call in for assistance.
George Floyd was "apprehended" because he used fake currency. Not too sure how/why the cops would know before they arrived that he was "under the influence".
Obviously it wouldn't hurt if EVERY cop that is on the street was/is trained EFFICIENTLY in how to deal with people who are "under the influence" but it's not so simple to know what you are dealing with in terms of what substance/s a person has taken.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I think we could get a lot of mileage out of treating drugs as a rehabilitative problem, rather than a criminal one. Or something.

Floyd prob wouldn’t have swallowed anything if he wasn’t so worried about getting in trouble, and the cops would have prob treated him as an overdose victim if they were focused on trying to help rather than penalize.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

Funniest shit I've seen all week. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKrL9GO1JuA&t=12s
"This whole thing was a big dick-waving contest, it's just that my dick was bigger than yours."
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

https://www.google.com/amp/s/mynews4.co ... r-shooting

I never even heard about this. Did this get very much national coverage? I see a handful of articles from major media outlets, but not as many as i would expect for a cop shot in the head at the end of a protest.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/

was supposed to link to story about Breonna Taylor’s ex being offered plea deal if he said she was part of crime syndicate
Deleted User 89

illy, why’d you delete your post?

does her ex being accused of drug-related activities justify her being killed?

or, more broadly, does it justify no-knock warrants?

i don’t think so. with as many guns as citizens have, legally or not, no-knock warrants are just asking for bad shit to happen
Deleted User 318

Post by Deleted User 318 »

Also, I don't believe either had anything to do with the drug dealer. Some dude they knew were at the apt was thought to be a dealer. There was no drugs in the house, and they never charged with anything to do with drugs.

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/n ... 183805002/
Deleted User 89

but good on illy to remind us all that there were rumors
Deleted User 310

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 3:21 pm illy, why’d you delete your post?

does her ex being accused of drug-related activities justify her being killed?

or, more broadly, does it justify no-knock warrants?

i don’t think so. with as many guns as citizens have, legally or not, no-knock warrants are just asking for bad shit to happen
I deleted it because i posted it, then checked becuase i couldnt remember what i read, then saw i was confused and i didnt want to spread fake rumors.

It was her ex BF who is accused of being a drug dealer....not the current bf that she lived with.

It certainly wasnt malicious...and i was asking a question not making a statement, but i still felt it should be deleted.

...and no it doesnt justify no knock warrants.
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

This is why people are fleeing the cities.

"Cops use facial recognition technology to arrest man after brazen sex offender is filmed attempting to rape woman, 25, on Manhattan subway platform at 11am as she screamed in terror"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... tform.html
"This whole thing was a big dick-waving contest, it's just that my dick was bigger than yours."
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

Walrus wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:22 pm This is why people are fleeing the cities.

"Cops use facial recognition technology to arrest man after brazen sex offender is filmed attempting to rape woman, 25, on Manhattan subway platform at 11am as she screamed in terror"

Exactly. If you want to violently rape someone and get away with it, you better move to a rural area where they don't use facial recognition.

Rapists will be fleeing cities in droves so they can more safely commit violent rapes. Thanks for giving them the heads up, lobs.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

Walrus wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:22 pm This is why people are fleeing the cities.

No it isnt.
Deleted User 310

twocoach wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:39 am

No it isnt.
You both are entitled to your opinion....since it can't be proven as fact either way.

But twocoach: you dont think violence in bigger cities is a reason people move to smaller towns/suburbs?

We have a good example here in gutter. He has been very vocal about how concerned he is with what is occuring in Chicago....and i think has even said he would move if it weren't for his mother and proximity to his workplace....that isn't some small bit of evidence?...or do you wake up looking to argue with anything and everything lobster says just for the fun of it?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:04 am

No it isnt.
You both are entitled to your opinion....since it can't be proven as fact either way.

But twocoach: you dont think violence in bigger cities is a reason people move to smaller towns/suburbs?

We have a good example here in gutter. He has been very vocal about how concerned he is with what is occuring in Chicago....and i think has even said he would move if it weren't for his mother and proximity to his workplace....that isn't some small bit of evidence?...or do you wake up looking to argue with anything and everything lobster says just for the fun of it?
Violence in big cities has always existed and has always been one f the many reasons why some people didnt want to stay there. If he said it was a driving factor, along with huge unemployment numbers, outrageous costs of living, increased risk of infection during a pandemic and an increased ability for employees to work from home, then I would agree with him.

But to say it is the reason? No, I do not agree with that statement.
Deleted User 310

Fair enough.

So it was the word "the" in the phrase "the reason", and you would have preferred him to use the phrase "a reason" in the sentence. Got it. I guess I didn't take his use of the word "the" to mean "the only" in the phrase....but hey, who doesn't love pointless arguements over semantics at 9am on a tuesday morning.

🤣😉🙃
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

No it isnt.
People are "fleeing cities" because, when your workplace and all the places you like to walk to are closed for a year-plus due to the pandemic being orders of magnitude worse because of this administration's ineptitude/indifference/malice, the appeal/convencience of living in a downtown apartment instead of a house on land diminishes dramatically.