George Floyd and the Ensuing Protests

Ugh.
Deleted User 289

Re: George Floyd and the Ensuing Protests

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Fish is spot on - for many (most?) people. Not all.

Since I was mentioned, I'll speak up for myself now.
I 100% believe violence is A reason and for some - THEE reason they move from the city to the suburbs/smaller towns.
That being said, if anyone lives in or moves TO a major city and doesn't expect "violence" to happen in that city, they are foolish.

In my speaking with people after the second major "wave" of destruction and looting in the "good" neighborhood/s, it seems the consensus is/was that people are fucking tired of it to the point where if they have the financial resources, SOME are indeed considering (or are actually are) moving.
My guess is the majority of people who live in the neighborhood I do and the surrounding neighborhoods work (or go to school) in the city and have friends and family in the city and have no desire to move - despite what has occurred.

I have mentioned this before. The manner in which I grew up may not be the "norm" for most but it was for me, my friends, and my family.
As a kid you grow up in the suburbs, you go to college, you come home and then get a job and an apartment in the city, you get married, you have a kid or two and then move back to the burbs to raise your kids, your kids grow up and go off to college, you get to retirement age, you move back to the city.
This has been going on for generations and I fully expect it to continue for many more generations.

Forgetting all that, are people really foolish enough to believe that any of the issues we face today with racism, profiling, and the police, are really going to change in our lifetime - to the point where these issues will not exist let alone not be a problem?
As much as this pains me to say, as long as we have so much diversity in this country, the "extremes" in terms of division and hatred will never come together and will always exist.
One of the many things in this country that is both a MAJOR blessing and a MAJOR curse - is the diversity.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

so, does this mean everyone is moving to the ‘burbs?

rural america is dying, so people are leaving

big cities are too violent, so people are leaving

that leaves the ‘burbs, but 1) if everyone moves to the ‘burbs can they really still be called the ‘burbs, and 2) if the dems get their way and destroy the ‘burbs, then where’s everyone gonna go?

so confused...
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:04 am
twocoach wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:39 am
Walrus wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:22 pm This is why people are fleeing the cities.

"Cops use facial recognition technology to arrest man after brazen sex offender is filmed attempting to rape woman, 25, on Manhattan subway platform at 11am as she screamed in terror"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... tform.html
No it isnt.
You both are entitled to your opinion....since it can't be proven as fact either way.

But twocoach: you dont think violence in bigger cities is a reason people move to smaller towns/suburbs?

We have a good example here in gutter. He has been very vocal about how concerned he is with what is occuring in Chicago....and i think has even said he would move if it weren't for his mother and proximity to his workplace....that isn't some small bit of evidence?...or do you wake up looking to argue with anything and everything lobster says just for the fun of it?

Please remember that gutter is a certified psychopath. At least 75% of what he posts us made up to get some attention
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

TraditionKU wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:43 am so, does this mean everyone is moving to the ‘burbs?

that leaves the ‘burbs, but 1) if everyone moves to the ‘burbs can they really still be called the ‘burbs, and 2) if the dems get their way and destroy the ‘burbs, then where’s everyone gonna go?

so confused...
I will say that the developers and property management companies holding a ton of inventory of rental apartments/condos are goddamned terrified right now. The long term effects of this work-from-home year are going to be significant.
Deleted User 89

jfish26 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:49 am
TraditionKU wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 9:43 am so, does this mean everyone is moving to the ‘burbs?

so confused...
I will say that the developers and property management companies holding a ton of inventory of rental apartments/condos are goddamned terrified right now. The long term effects of this work-from-home year are going to be significant.
i’m sure you’re right

my post was more for humor than anything

i have heard recent reports of more mobility to rural locales, specifically because of the new flexibility of working from home. having lived in a rural setting for a good part of my younger days, i wonder just how possible that’ll be across the board given the inadequacies of the technological infrastructure in most of bfe
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

so confused...
That is pretty damn funny when you think about it that way.

No wonder Canada won't take any of us.
jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

5G isn't far off. That should suffice for most.

It wouldn't surprise me if retirees end up moving en masse into the downtown residential that will open up.
Deleted User 89

5g does squat if you don’t have a good signal

my folks are ~10 miles north of L-town, and have always had shit cell service, regardless of verizon, sprint or att

add to that the lack of options for any sort of land-based internet, and the only legit option if you wanted/needed to do real-time streaming is satellite-based...which is not only crazy expensive, but is often hit and miss when storms roll through
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

Good riddance, Mr. Portland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir7X7yaMT_A
"This whole thing was a big dick-waving contest, it's just that my dick was bigger than yours."
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

you don't live in portland so the phrase good riddance doesn't really apply.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

so confused...
I wonder what this means for cities with large commuter populations who take public transit. I mean, people are not going to want to ride a train/subway from the burbs to where they work in the city, and if you have a job where working from home isn't an option, is that going to make you more likely to move to the city? or switch jobs? or say fuck it and drive regardless of parking or commute length?

I mean, cities like NY, DC, Boston, Philly, Chicago, etc. have huge numbers of people who take a train in from the 'burbs to get to work in the city.

I'm asking from the assumimption that there's an effective vaccine but people are wary of the next pandemic, or just more aware of infectious diseases in general.

Depending on the city, there could be reasons to leave, but you may also want to get that smaller apartment that gets you in walking distance to work.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
seahawk

Post by seahawk »

Walrus wrote: Tue Sep 01, 2020 7:22 pm This is why people are fleeing the cities.

"Cops use facial recognition technology to arrest man after brazen sex offender is filmed attempting to rape woman, 25, on Manhattan subway platform at 11am as she screamed in terror"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... tform.html
So, rapes don't happen in rural areas? Who knew?
Don't inject Lysol.
Walrus

Post by Walrus »

lulz. People support the riots, until it comes to their doorstep.

"You Love To See It: Rich Writer Cheers Rioters Burning Poor Areas, Calls Them ‘Animals’ When They Get To His"

https://districtherald.com/you-love-to- ... et-to-his/
"This whole thing was a big dick-waving contest, it's just that my dick was bigger than yours."
Deleted User 289

Prude story is as bad (if not worse) as any of the others.

https://theappeal.org/daniel-prude-roch ... e-killing/
Deleted User 289

Walrus wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:33 pm lulz. People support the riots, until it comes to their doorstep.

"You Love To See It: Rich Writer Cheers Rioters Burning Poor Areas, Calls Them ‘Animals’ When They Get To His"

https://districtherald.com/you-love-to- ... et-to-his/
Why not defend himself and say that he was "obviously" being facetious with the original post. Of course it would be a lie and people wouldn't believe him but at least it would be a semi-legitimate defense and it would make him come off as LESS of a hypocritical asshole.
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

I would be cautious about spreading "this is what back the blue" movement really means stuff....becuase that is the same misguided bullshit that goes on with "this is what black lives matter really means" when associating it with rioting and cop shootings.

I support the BLM movement, but i also feel like I support cops.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Yeah. Both movements and messages can be corrupted.

But with that said, I think much of the “back the blue” movement is inherently disingenuous.

But without right now providing any further context or explanation, I know that prob makes me sound biased, and also know someone could just as easily say the same about BLM.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

RIP.

Again.

https://www.npr.org/sections/live-updat ... -black-man
The mayor of Rochester, N.Y., has ordered the immediate suspension of seven police officers over the death of Daniel Prude, a Black man who died of asphyxiation after being restrained during his arrest in March....