Opening schools safely

Coffee talk.
sdoyel

Re: Opening schools safely

Post by sdoyel »

My son has been back at school for 1 week and we already got notified by his teacher (who is home schooling) that some brain dead parents (with their child) went to a backyard party last weekend and ended up being exposed to 3 people with Covid.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

Well, luckily the parents and child in question tested negative. School goes on today, but kid in question must quarantine until next week...

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

Bare butts!
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

Beep beep. Pull over. That ass too flat.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Fortunately in my neck of the woods, there has been no breakout or positive cases that have been published.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

jfish26
Contributor

Post by jfish26 »

I am incredibly fortunate that my school-age kids are old enough to figure shit out on their own, and the youngest one isn't yet in school.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Behind the White House Effort to Pressure the C.D.C. on School Openings

Documents and interviews show how senior officials sought to play down the risks of sending children back to the classroom, alarming public health experts.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/28/us/p ... hools.html
Deleted User 310

Well my daughter's elementary school is set to go to hybrid learning starting next week....2 shifts...1 on monday tuesday. The other thursday friday. Remote on Wednesday for everyone.

We are the only family in her 1st grade class staying fully remote.

I feel fine with it. If we can't effectively teach her 1st grade level stuff then we suck.

My wife only works 2 days a week. My parents keep the kies on those days... we didn't feel good sending her back and then also sending her to my parents who are both mid to late 60s. Just not worth the risk imo.
Deleted User 310

I have shared some info about the school situation for my daughter.

Last week was their (her school district's) first week back... we chose to opt out and continue to do fully remote.

each class split into 2 groups. Group A monday tuesday in person. Weds thru friday remote. Group B monday thru weds remote. Thurs Friday in person.

Well we made it 1 week without a kid/teacher slipping thru the cracks and coming to school with covid. Today we got an email that someone has tested positive that attended school in 1 of the groups.

Shocker.
MICHHAWK

Post by MICHHAWK »

My 10 year old grandbaby had a successful fall soccer season. He is doing hybrid learning for his schooling. He is in person 5 out of every 10 school days. He has had, so far, a successful hockey season. So far no incidents.

To date he has not grown a third nipple. His head has not fallen off. No super weird side affects of living sort of a normal existence for a 10 year old.
Deleted User 310

MICHHAWK wrote: Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:35 am My 10 year old grandbaby had a successful fall soccer season. He is doing hybrid learning for his schooling. He is in person 5 out of every 10 school days. He has had, so far, a successful hockey season. So far no incidents.

To date he has not grown a third nipple. His head has not fallen off. No super weird side affects of living sort of a normal existence for a 10 year old.
That is good!

I am not worried about a 3rd nipple or heads falling off.

In fact, part of our reasoning for doing remote only was for the overall advantage of others by having less kids. Not everyone has the luxury of, and resources needed for, being able to accommodate fully remote learning. So 1 less kid makes the class that much less crowded. Win win for everyone imo. We are lucky that A) my daughter is only in 1st grade and is on the smarter end of the spectrum for kids her age so far (advanced at reading and math, largely due to my wife and mom spending so much time working with her when she was younger), and B) that my wife only needs to work 2 days a week and my mom is retired to cover the other days....most people can't do that. And if we had 5 kids even this set up wouldn't work.

It is also benefitting my son who is 3 and we pulled from preschool for this year. He is now learning to read and do math at an even younger age than my daughter becuase he is with her everyday and wants to do what she is doing. So we have a make shift pre school type curriculum that we are having him do when the older 1 is doing her remote learning stuff.

So we are lucky. Sounds like you are also lucky. Which is good. There is no 1 size fits all solution for this. We just have to do what we have got to do until this phase of life has passed.