Offseason thread

Kansas Basketball.
ousdahl

Offseason thread

Post by ousdahl »

so if the finals are over that means no hoops til late night.

Who starts next/this year?

Garrett DMac and Ochai are locks.

last two spots 2 of Bryce Thompson, Jalen Wilson, and Haunkey Taunk
PortlandHawk

Re: Offseason thread

Post by PortlandHawk »

What about Grant Foster
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I’d be pleasantly surprised and/or disappointed with one of the first three
Mjl

Post by Mjl »

Thompson and Braun
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I don’t think this happens, as I think it’s Thompson and Braun, but I could see Enaruna earning some starts.
Deleted User 310

Post by Deleted User 310 »

Garrett Thompson Ochai Wilson and McCormack
Last edited by Deleted User 310 on Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 310

PortlandHawk wrote: Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:12 pm What about Grant Foster
He is more of a project than a big immediate impact guy it seems like. Doubt he starts in year 1.

And i don't mean project in a bad way....but KU isn't JUCO.

With us playing 1 big, i think guys like Braun Wilson Enaruna Thompson Ochai are all ahead of him. And obviously MG with play 34mpg+ every night (in close games/games that matter).

McCormack SDS and Mitch will cover all the big minutes.
Last edited by Deleted User 310 on Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

what about foster grant?

https://fostergrant.com/
Deleted User 310

I also wouldn't be surprised if we are sleeping on Dajuan Harris a bit. I don't think he will play a ton simply because our vets are going to all play huge minutes....but i wouldn't be shocked if he is ahead of guys like TGF on the depth chart.

With limited time on campus/practices/pick up due to covid over the summer i think the newcomers other than bryce thompson are at a big disadvantage as far as beating out guys that have been here goes.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Braun (who I said was a stud like 3 years ago) is in line for big minutes simply because he can play next to anyone at any position.

Harris will be our first stable bench PG in what seems like a decade or so.

Normally I'd gloss over a Juco, but TGF is a pro and an iso scorer. You couldn't say either of those things about Little or Appleton coming in. His bounce will help us out mid-late season if this season gets that far. No chance he doesn't have a role.

Och badly needs to take a step this season and he has a leg up on the rest of the team as he has apparently already had Covid.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

Och hit the gym hard. Got himself a real NBA body now. If his game doesnt make the same jump, watch out for TGF. Looking forward to Doc Nijems work there.

https://youtu.be/hpX4Sny8Lfk
I am, I said.
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

I just don't see Self sitting Chai.
You could see him taking a path similar to Selden ( underperformed sophomore year, took significant bounce junior year ).
Braun getting a full year of college play edges Wilson ( technically a freshman ).
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Soklous wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:47 am Och hit the gym hard. Got himself a real NBA body now . . . Looking forward to Doc Nijems work there.
Could be way off on this, but I'm a little worried about Thompson handling size and physicality at this level. That's only based on what he looks like in highlight videos, so not based on much.
Deleted User 310

So if TGF is a "pro" who is going to be left out of the rotation? Basically going to be 6 smalls playing those 4 spots, assuming Mitch doesn't get significant time next to McCormack.

Also, why did he have to go to JUCO? And why weren't any of the other top schools (Duke, UNC, UK, Nova, etc.) after him for this season? The next best team after KU that had interest was probably oregon, then it was just places like mizzou, kstate, georgia, iowa state, LSU, virgina tech, etc... i am not all that familiar with his story, seen some videos, and read some articles...

This is what TGF said of KU during recruitment...

Kansas: "I'm going to take a visit to Kansas. I had a meeting with coach (Bill) Self and my parents when I went home last weekend and it was just great. Everything went really well. He is recruiting me to come be a starter if I work and said that if I work there's no reason I won't be able to play 25 or 30 minutes a game."

I know Self tells almost all of them that they will be a starter, but maybe i am not giving him enough credit.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

Time to evaluate physicality of young men. Or what Ousy calls work.

I am, I said.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

IllinoisJayhawk wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:16 am So if TGF is a "pro" who is going to be left out of the rotation? Basically going to be 6 smalls playing those 4 spots, assuming Mitch doesn't get significant time next to McCormack.

Also, why did he have to go to JUCO? And why weren't any of the other top schools (Duke, UNC, UK, Nova, etc.) after him for this season? The next best team after KU that had interest was probably oregon, then it was just places like mizzou, kstate, georgia, iowa state, LSU, virgina tech, etc... i am not all that familiar with his story, seen some videos, and read some articles...

This is what TGF said of KU during recruitment...

Kansas: "I'm going to take a visit to Kansas. I had a meeting with coach (Bill) Self and my parents when I went home last weekend and it was just great. Everything went really well. He is recruiting me to come be a starter if I work and said that if I work there's no reason I won't be able to play 25 or 30 minutes a game."

I know Self tells almost all of them that they will be a starter, but maybe i am not giving him enough credit.

If you are buying what Self is selling, TGF would have started last season and was the best offensive player on the roster.
I am, I said.
Deleted User 310

Nice.

I don't know how someone can be better at offense than Dok last year, but i get what he means. Dotson wasn't too bad on offense either, so skeptical of best offensive player on the team, but more excited to see him play this year now. I was thinking he was a fringe rotation player behind MG Och Braun Wilson Enaruna and Thompson.
Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

Braun is going to be solid this year

best outside shooter on the team?
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Every time people talk about college player's bodies and physicality I am reminded of Texas Kevin Durant. Sure it's a bonus for a kid to have a solid body but I'll happily take a kid who is a skinny fuck and can ball on my team 24/7/365.

As far as "NBA bodies", I am reminded that the last 5 NBA league MVPs = Giannis (skinny fuck as an 18/19 year old), Harden (skinny fuck as an 18/19 year old), Westbrook (skinny fuck as an 18/19 year old kid), Curry (skinny fuck as an 18/19 year old kid), Durant (skinny fuck as am 18/19 year old kid).
pdub
Site Admin

Post by pdub »

TraditionKU wrote: Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:27 am Braun is going to be solid this year

best outside shooter on the team?
He was last year - I think it's safe to say he will be again.
Let's hope he's retired the bow and arrow shtick.