Professionalism part deux

Coffee talk.
zsn
Contributor

Re: Professionalism part deux

Post by zsn »

There is one guy at our local Costco who is a Master Stacker. Not only is he a genius at just stacking the cart, lighter items on top of heavy items, fragile items in the corner etc, he is a savant when it comes to stacking your purchases inside cardboard boxes (former shampoo or vegetable shipping boxes) placed inside the cart so that you can just load the boxes into your car. If I have a lot of items I will go to the line where he is stacking. He's also so fast and actually works upto three adjacent checkout lanes in rapid turns.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

So the tourists thread is dead, since y’all killed it.

But I have to discuss this one: Got a call from a dude trying to book lodging for his vacay.

He keeps asking me to hold, and I can hear him talking to someone else. I then realize, he’s talking to someone about how to apply some kind of medicine. This MFer is a doctor! Like seeing a patient, while he’s also on the phone about his vacation lodging!!

So if I may ask, what kind of potential malpractice could that make him liable for?

If your doctor did that to you while you were receiving care, how pissed would you be?
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:27 pm So the tourists thread is dead, since y’all killed it.

But I have to discuss this one: Got a call from a dude trying to book lodging for his vacay.

He keeps asking me to hold, and I can hear him talking to someone else. I then realize, he’s talking to someone about how to apply some kind of medicine. This MFer is a doctor! Like seeing a patient, while he’s also on the phone about his vacation lodging!!

So if I may ask, what kind of potential malpractice could that make him liable for?

If your doctor did that to you while you were receiving care, how pissed would you be?
Ha, I actually told a doctor "I would like to wait until I have your full attention" when he came in to speak to me while on the phone. Ridiculous.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

I wonder how a doctor would react if you pulled that shit on him.

“What, turn my head and cough?! Hold that thought doc, I’m booking a condo.”
twocoach

Post by twocoach »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:32 am I wonder how a doctor would react if you pulled that shit on him.

I see it all the time in restaurants and stores as people can't be bothered to get off the phone to conduct their business.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:32 am I wonder how a doctor would react if you pulled that shit on him.

I'm guessing this happens just as frequently, if not more than the reverse.
I only came to kick some ass...

Rock the fucking house and kick some ass.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

Some places, I don’t think it’s a big deal. Go ahead and chat away while you’re ringing up your latte at Starbucks. It’s a little douchey, but hey, you’re the one getting a latte at Starbucks.

But other places - the doctor? Business meeting? In front of a judge? Read the room, douche.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

ousdahl wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:58 am Some places, I don’t think it’s a big deal. Go ahead and chat away while you’re ringing up your latte at Starbucks. It’s a little douchey, but hey, you’re the one getting a latte at Starbucks.

But other places - the doctor? Business meeting? In front of a judge? Read the room, douche.
No, see that's the problem. Treat EVERYONE with respect. If you're going to talk to someone, especially to ask a question or get help, which is what you're doing when you order food/drink, you give them your undivided attention. It's bad if you do it to a doctor, or a carhop, or a cashier, or whoever.

I shouldn't be surprised to find out someone who can't handle an early check-in request is the same guy talking on his blue tooth headset while he orders his Iced Caramel Macchiato with Almond Milk.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Doctors are weird, on average.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:14 am Doctors are weird, on average.
I've almost never had a positive experience with an MD.

It's crazy that for a profession that's so challenging to get into, and there's emphasis placed on things like bed-side manner, that my negative experiences far outnumber my positive ones.

CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

PhDhawk wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:17 am

It's crazy that for a profession that's so challenging to get into, and there's emphasis placed on things like bed-side manner, that my negative experiences far outnumber my positive ones.
As you're aware, you can't step into a grad school, law school, med school without running into a socially inept. It just sure seems there are a higher concentration of them in med school and grad engineering programs.
Soklous

Post by Soklous »

It’s also a business model whose primary goal is to make money. I’ve worked for Med Schools for 13 years now. They 1000% pass students who should not be in the field because.... “They are donors once the graduate”. They don’t give a flying fuck how horrible of a person they are putting out there. Even failing academically gets pushed through across the nation. Because, competitiveness to other schools.
I am, I said.
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

And then the flip side of that coin. I've written letters for students who would be great doctors and should have been accepted. While shittier students got in, because they were better at checking boxes. They did a half-assed research project, played candy-crush...I mean "volunteered" at a clinic, and made sure to take easy classes to pad their gpa.

I had a student who wanted to "shadow another student doing research" because he felt his med school application wasn't strong enough. I almost told him to fuck himself. How do you not at least PRETEND you want to do research because you're interested in research? And that he just wanted to watch a classmate do work and get some kind of credit for it.

Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

all this talk reaffirms my decision to leave academia
PhDhawk

Post by PhDhawk »

I love it, about 98% of the time.

Deleted User 89

Post by Deleted User 89 »

i miss it, about 2% of the time
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

PhDhawk wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:10 am
ousdahl wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 10:58 am Some places, I don’t think it’s a big deal. Go ahead and chat away while you’re ringing up your latte at Starbucks. It’s a little douchey, but hey, you’re the one getting a latte at Starbucks.

No, see that's the problem. Treat EVERYONE with respect. If you're going to talk to someone, especially to ask a question or get help, which is what you're doing when you order food/drink, you give them your undivided attention. It's bad if you do it to a doctor, or a carhop, or a cashier, or whoever.

I shouldn't be surprised to find out someone who can't handle an early check-in request is the same guy talking on his blue tooth headset while he orders his Iced Caramel Macchiato with Almond Milk.
Wtf almond milk?! I asked for SOY milk!! Where’s y’all’s manager????

But for real, I can’t disagree. I didn’t mean to suggest it’s appropriate to yack on your phone rather than engage the barista, just that it’s maybe not as inappropriate as other situations.
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

maybe you’d have more positive experiences if you just hung up the phone
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

CrimsonNBlue wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 11:24 am

As you're aware, you can't step into a grad school, law school, med school without running into a socially inept. It just sure seems there are a higher concentration of them in med school and grad engineering programs.
Engineers, on average, are the most socially inept people I've ever met. I work with them daily, they drive me fucking nuts. I usually steal the Chevy Chase line to describe them. "I'm an Engineer, and you're not"
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

The definitive doctor is the fertility tradesman who can't resist impregnating 150 women in vitro with his own demon spawn on his way to the country club. Then there a couple of altruistic types.