KU v ISU Game Thread

Kansas Football.
Sparko
Contributor

Re: KU v ISU Game Thread

Post by Sparko »

A lot to like. ISU can’t not be complete assholes though. Hall still in the game late; throwing the ball instead of kneeling.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

Daniels does look like the real deal. It's going to be tough but we really need to beef up those lines on both sides of the ball. Have to keep plugging away on the recruiting trail.
AlOerter
Contributor

Post by AlOerter »

On running up the score, if there is a 3-way tie in the conference they go to score differential.
Sparko
Contributor

Post by Sparko »

Score differential in college is a terrible idea. They are amateur athletes allowed to take ball punches.
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

A lot to like but still a long, long way to go. First order of business is pray Daniels is okay. If he isn’t we might as well forfeit because Kendrick is the worst P5 QB I have ever seen.
Holidaysmore - 2005
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Improvement today over last week. Game hell of a lot closer than final score. Was impressed with the guys today. They are getting valuable playing time without it counting eligibility wise. They were playing freshmen on the line today. If you play freshmen on the line, you’re going to struggle early but reap the rewards later on.

This program is going to take a massive step in 2021. Daniels with an entire offseason, the line getting bigger and the freshmen in the secondary continuing to improve.

That Iowa state team was full of vets and that was the difference.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

"But don’t ever get it twisted, it’s Rock Chalk forever." MG
holidaysmore

Post by holidaysmore »

Prox opting out. The youth movement is in full swing.
Holidaysmore - 2005
Deleted User 289

Post by Deleted User 289 »

Super Bowl!
ousdahl

Post by ousdahl »

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Logan, Prunty and Deuce Mayberry going to be in the backfield for a long time together. A long damn time. And they’re going to be good.
“I don’t remember anything he said, but it was a very memorable speech.” Julian Wright on a speech Michael Jordan gave to a group he was in

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Proof the future is bright. The guys making these plays are Freshmen, RS Freshmen and Sophomores.

https://twitter.com/chasenscott/status/ ... 06790?s=21

shindig

Post by shindig »

Fvck this POS program and our dementia ridden HC. I could care less about Les and this program. Dump it.
sdoyel

Post by sdoyel »

https://twitter.com/chasenscott/status/ ... 77701?s=21

I ain’t buying all these personal reasons. We have good players quitting on this program.
"The real issue with covid: its not killing enough people." - randylahey

GTS Champ 2008
GTS Champ 2020*

“We good?” - Bill Self

RIP jhawk73

🇺🇦
BehindtheLine

Post by BehindtheLine »

At what point does the improvement start, or will it? I don't consider Sagarin to be the "answer" as far as strength of a team, but they are not an unreasonable overall look. At Sagarin last week, KU is ranked at 124th. That includes being behind approximately 30 teams with 0-0 records, including programs like Princeton and Weber State. UAB which actually shut down their program in 2015 and 2016, and started playing again in 2017 is ranked 62. We're well behind a team that didn't even field a squad four years ago. Success for KU football has always been sporadic, and right now I'm praying for sporadic. This is too predictable.
Deleted User 289

We have the Newtons of the board who are glass 7/8ths full kind of guys and we have the Grandmas of the board who are glass 1/8th full kind of guys.
This program is a glass 1/16th full right now. If that.
I laugh when people have positive outlooks for the future. Of course they do. There is nowhere to go but up. It can't get worse. It can only get better. Right?

Then you get this (see link below) "scripted" crap. RAH RAH RAH!
5 year plan? How many times have we had 5 year plans in which we never got to the 5th year or at the 5th year our program still blew? Fuck Jeff Long.
He was another dumb hire. I will never understand why you would hire a guy who was fired because his football program became a disaster. These were Arkansas' parting words about Long - "Jeff has lost the support of many of our fans, alumni, key supporters and members of the university leadership, support that I believe is critical in our pursuit of excellence."
Gee, let's get that guy and hire him! REALLY?

https://247sports.com/college/kansas/Lo ... 153804674/

P.S. I am 54 years old. We have had 14,15, or 16 head coaches. ONE coach in 54 years had a winning record. That guy was 50-48.
What does that tell you about the Kansas Football program? I'll answer that for you. A half a century of utter shit.
NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

Regarding your Arkansas thing, Arkansas thinks they are way better than they actually are. They stink and they have usually stunk. They stunk before Bielema, Long hired him away from Wisconsin where he was 68-24! But yet when he got to Arkansas he was a bit below 500 overall. Now since then Arkansas went 2-10 on both the seasons after him. And fired their coach after those 2 years because he was infinitely worse.

If you truly haven’t seen the behind the scenes progress going on with this program, hen you don’t know sports in general. They’ve boosted the budget for football, they added numerous recruiting staff who do that full time, added many analyst roles, added a special football administrator who was in the same role at places like Alabama, Michigan and others.

KU football before Jeff Long came was such an afterthought that they had 1 primary recruiting guy (with students as his low paid assistants), they had minimal staff, they had no person who was there to support football alone.

Now, I think this next part is important.

Have I been happy with the actual results? Hell no.

Do I still watch and see freshmen and other young guys continuously making plays and getting tons of playing time?
Yes I do.

Do I think Miles and Long are doing this the right way? By recruiting high school only, bolstering their staff and not trying to do quick fixes?
Yes I do.

You can be happy with what is happening with the program and not be happy with the current results. They’re not mutually inclusive of each other.

People with actual fucking brains were not expecting a quick fix and to go to a bowl game in year 2. Last years team gave people false hope because they had a ton of seniors in the secondary and lots of experience up from on the lines along with the best QB we’ve seen since Ressing. Now they all left and it made for tough sledding this year because you’re replacing them with guys who really haven’t played.

And before anyone mentions Mangino again, Mangino came to a team that had a staff around for 5 years, their worse record before he arrived was 3-8. Mangino had upperclassmen ready to capitalize when Mangino arrived. Weis and Beaty screwed up recruiting so many times with the same stupid shit to save their jobs that when a new coach arrived, the cupboard was far too bare to do anything.

NewtonHawk11

Post by NewtonHawk11 »

And before it’s rebutted, Arkansas did have a few good seasons before Petrino did his dumb shit stuff, but honestly that was more of anomaly then what they usually are. But ya know what, Long hired Petrino. He knows how to hire good coaches. This is different than any program in the country though.

Which by the way, this continues. Fuck Lew Perkins. But also, Mangino would be fired now with all the shit he said to his players. Lol

Deleted User 289

NewtonHawk11 wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:07 am Regarding your Arkansas thing, Arkansas thinks they are way better than they actually are. They stink and they have usually stunk. They stunk before Bielema, Long hired him away from Wisconsin where he was 68-24! But yet when he got to Arkansas he was a bit below 500 overall. Now since then Arkansas went 2-10 on both the seasons after him. And fired their coach after those 2 years because he was infinitely worse.

If you truly haven’t seen the behind the scenes progress going on with this program, hen you don’t know sports in general. They’ve boosted the budget for football, they added numerous recruiting staff who do that full time, added many analyst roles, added a special football administrator who was in the same role at places like Alabama, Michigan and others.

KU football before Jeff Long came was such an afterthought that they had 1 primary recruiting guy (with students as his low paid assistants), they had minimal staff, they had no person who was there to support football alone.

Now, I think this next part is important.

Have I been happy with the actual results? Hell no.

Do I still watch and see freshmen and other young guys continuously making plays and getting tons of playing time?
Yes I do.

Do I think Miles and Long are doing this the right way? By recruiting high school only, bolstering their staff and not trying to do quick fixes?
Yes I do.

You can be happy with what is happening with the program and not be happy with the current results. They’re not mutually inclusive of each other.

People with actual fucking brains were not expecting a quick fix and to go to a bowl game in year 2. Last years team gave people false hope because they had a ton of seniors in the secondary and lots of experience up from on the lines along with the best QB we’ve seen since Ressing. Now they all left and it made for tough sledding this year because you’re replacing them with guys who really haven’t played.

And before anyone mentions Mangino again, Mangino came to a team that had a staff around for 5 years, their worse record before he arrived was 3-8. Mangino had upperclassmen ready to capitalize when Mangino arrived. Weis and Beaty screwed up recruiting so many times with the same stupid shit to save their jobs that when a new coach arrived, the cupboard was far too bare to do anything.
I sincerely thank you for taking the time to respond - with a well thought out post.

I fully admit I have not seen "the behind the scenes progress going on with this program". It's "behind the scenes" and I am not privy behind the scenes. I'm really nothing more than just another schmuck who would really like to see KU have a successful program.

True or not, I like to think I do know sports in general. I'm only mentioning this because you somewhat called me out but as some on here know, I am friends with, "business associates" with, and related to owners, agents, and an "Executive Vice President Of Operations / Chief of Staff".
I speak with these people on a frequent basis. I try to educate myself on why things happen the way they do.
That being said, I really do not have any "ins" with college athletics so I won't pretend I am knowledgeable about what does and doesn't take place other than what I hear and read - often secondhand.

It's great that KU has boosted the budget for football. As they should have and needed to.
It's great that they "added numerous recruiting staff who do that full time, added many analyst roles, added a special football administrator who was in the same role at places like Alabama, Michigan and others". As they should have and needed to.
My question is why didn't they do this sooner when the program has been shit for most of the last 50+ years.
Well, at least they are doing it now and guess what - SO FAR the program is still shit.
Yes, I realize we are not going to see results overnight but as an admitted "casual" fan, I'm tired of the same shit and waiting - and when we lose games by 33 points (to a team that proceeded to lose their next 3 consecutive games), 40 points (yes, to a team that was supposed to be very good but yet just lost at home to an unranked team), 41 points (to a team that lost their next game by 27), and 30 points (to a decent team but a team that has proven they can be beaten by an unranked team) I just can't find a silver lining in those loses. I guess if I try hard enough I can and should realize we are having young guys gain valuable experience. That's assuming they choose to stick around.

Moving on....

Of course the jury has just started meeting on the Les Miles era. So far not so good but behind the scenes it very well may look rosy. I sincerely hope it is. Like I said, it can only get better.

My hope is that no one (with a brain or without a brain) expected a quick fix and to get to a Bowl game in year two of the Miles era but there are some on here who at least hoped for if not expected some noticeable improvement. As you pointed out, the quality guys who were left over have left so you make an excellent point that those replacing them shouldn't be expected to be as good as those they have replaced. At least not yet.
I'm glad you and others who have a better eye and knowledge of the program than I do are able to see and feel some positivity.
Won't it be nice if and when we are a successful program?
I just hope I'm still alive to see it if and when it happens.
Cascadia

Post by Cascadia »

Box score fans are the worst.
CrimsonNBlue

Post by CrimsonNBlue »

Jeff Long was hired because from KU's standpoint, he could deliver a football coach and had Power 5 experience.

There were no other candidates that could check those two boxes. What AD is going to leave a Power 5 program to go to KU and deal with a huge NCAA investigation and rebuilding the worst Power 5 football program?